Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 08:45 AM

219 posts, read 228,062 times

Advertisements

Why does talking about race make you all so uncomfortable? I’m not white by the way (not that it matters). Sheesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 08:47 AM

219 posts, read 228,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Menil Park (as mentioned) and Buffalo Bayou Park have a much higher % of whites as compared to Herman park. Go there if this is what you seek.
That isn’t what I seek. I’m asking why.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:57 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 11 days ago)

8,401 posts, read 5,562,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
I dont think there is a why to it. It was just your observation. My observation was different. There is no statistical truth behind either observation, so there is no why to be answered.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:21 AM

9,962 posts, read 6,674,048 times
I suppose the reason Buffalo Bayou Park and Menil Park are much higher by % is because of the adjacent neighborhoods.

Herman Park is in a heavy traffic area both for residents and visitors so it’s bound to be a more mixed crowd by design.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:26 AM

15,572 posts, read 7,596,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
That's a question that cannot be answered with the data we have.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:48 AM

2,884 posts, read 2,194,979 times
There are plenty of white people at the McGovern Gardens, but I know what you're talking about. You can ask the same about Discovery Green. Memorial Park on the other hand is very representative of the city. Maybe the white people who live close enough to use the city parks prefer parks with plenty of space for outdoor recreation instead of stuff that are of more interest to families with young kids. Hermann Park isn't that good for jogging/cycling and parking is too much of a pain for a group of young adults to get together and play lawn sports.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:15 PM

3,590 posts, read 3,097,721 times
I spent many years living near the park, visiting on a near-daily or weekly basis, and have always noticed the same thing, especially along the reflecting pond toward the statue. There are also few, if any, large gatherings of white people that picnic in the park during the day. It always amazed me the there was this beautiful busy park where people of every size and type of ethnicity and background there - except very few white people among them. Like maybe less than 1 out of 10, if even that many. And a good number of the white people I did see have the look of tourists from outside the area, overweight and frumpy like you might see at a waterpark, compared to most other park visitors, especially foreign looking visitors, who look as if they have dressed up for an occasion.

That said, there were still lots of white people at the zoo, or by the gardens, or at many of the shows at the amphitheater. They just tended to only congregate in those areas, or just go back and forth from their cars.

I remember thinking how crazy it was on beautiful days that the parks were empty of white people, yet the stores were packed. This includes Memorial Park, at least after the last drought when the trees were lost. It has been a couple of years since I have been there, but I remember when the park and picnic areas were always busy, yet last time I was there on a weekend it was dead (and that was pre-COVID). Maybe its picked back up, but I no longer live there to see myself.

My theory:
Most white people have now become more suburbanized, and no longer picnic in parks but in their own big backyards. Just like walking or taking a bus in Houston, picnicking in public parks has become something that only "poor minority" people do in their minds.

Last edited by RocketSci; 11-03-2021 at 01:27 PM..

Old 11-03-2021, 01:17 PM

1,952 posts, read 833,994 times
How "diverse" is it...if there are not many whites?

Lets be honest...the word "diversity" is code for not white.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:28 PM

9,962 posts, read 6,674,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
How "diverse" is it...if there are not many whites?

Lets be honest...the word "diversity" is code for not white.
Maybe to some people. Detroit isn’t seen as a diverse city. Houston is because it actually is diverse. I know some people have this mentality but not all.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 833,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Maybe to some people. Detroit isn’t seen as a diverse city. Houston is because it actually is diverse. I know some people have this mentality but not all.

Forgive me for not running every event in my life through the race prism.

I don't tend to go to a park or public place and take mental notes on the racial make-up. It just does not matter to me.

Seems odd that some will tell us to not pay attention to skin color, while others talk about it and bring it up constantly.

I really don't care what color you are, nor is any person going to make me feel guilty for the mistakes of someone sharing my skin color that has been dead for hundreds of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston