Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 09:56 AM

11,888 posts, read 26,989,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
It won't get cold enough this weekend to worry about draining anything. Just make sure all your outside pipes are insulated.
Exactly. This is 1 day of cold, not a week like we had last year.

If you can't find the nice faucet covers, duct tape and an old towel over the faucets will work just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 10:02 AM

15,627 posts, read 7,665,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuregleam View Post
Seguinite, I bought a insulation bag thingie for the backflow manifold too

mojo101, i bought some insulation tape for outside pipes and insulation socks for outside faucets. I think the main water line comes in from underground into my house. I think only the hot water line is in the attic since the water heater is in the attic. I'm thinking to heat up the upstairs rooms while we have power, so once we lose power, hopefully the heat will prevent any issues in the attic

WRM20, are the steps listed in the link worth doing? I found the ICVs but had some trouble opening the lids. I didn't try very hard. If we should close the isolation valves and drain the backflow manifold, I'll see if i can use some more muscle to open the lids
I just open the drain screws and drain the water. That works. We had to replace the backflow preventer one year when I forgot to do that, so I've been good about making sure the screws are open. One year I took the top off, but that seems unnecessary if the water is drained. Taking the top off was simple, just take out one screw and remove the parts.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:07 AM

112 posts, read 91,736 times
astrohip, kreeyax, and ChristieP, thanks for the response! Yes I plan to put insulation bags over faucets and backflow manifold. I don't have any actual exposed pipes.

mojo101, I'm not sure there's much I could do about the pipes in attic, or if there are any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I just open the drain screws and drain the water. That works. We had to replace the backflow preventer one year when I forgot to do that, so I've been good about making sure the screws are open. One year I took the top off, but that seems unnecessary if the water is drained. Taking the top off was simple, just take out one screw and remove
the parts.
I can try to open the drain screws and see what happens :P that sounds simple enough. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 12-30-2021, 11:14 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,565,312 times
I dont have a second floor,but with the water pipes in the attic which burst last time,I plan to pull down the ladder which goes to the attic and let some warm air from my living room goes up to the attic,or if we still have electricty,bring a heat fan to the attic and see if it helps.
Last time we have no electricity,no water,no phone,all we have is natural gas

Old 12-30-2021, 12:08 PM

307 posts, read 270,776 times
I get that a lot of people have PTSD from February's freeze event, but my phone is showing a low of 32 one night - this isn't typically something to really be worried about in my opinion. Now if you want to be prepared for future temps this season I can understand that, but there's really nothing to be too concerned about with this.

Old 12-30-2021, 03:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,565,312 times
so true,32 degree is not a problem,maybe just move some plants indoor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: