Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 10:03 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Houston has come a loooooong way from how it was in the 90's, lol. The negative talk you see in these threads about Houston was very well deserved back then...not so much now. Almost EVERYTHING back then looked decrepit and depressing, just like in those "hood" movies that kept coming out during that time. Even Houston's pristine areas (i.e., Uptown, River Oaks, etc.) were like "meh" back then compared to what they are NOW.

Still a lot of work to be done, but it's DEFINITELY getting there.

I totally agree. Houston has gotten WAY better in many places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 10:53 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
Looked totally different in the 90s. This was prior to gentrification so no townhomes from what I can remember - most went up in the early 00s. Lots of modest to ramshackle SFH's on decent sized lots for ITL. Crime was an issue at times, especially in the late 80s. There were some bars on Washington but not the scene that it is today. I think I remember a decent music venue though, could be wrong... maybe someone can jog my memory
There was Walters near TC Jester, Satellite Lounge, Rockefellers was a great place for music.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:59 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
Quote:
Looked totally different in the 90s. This was prior to gentrification so no townhomes from what I can remember - most went up in the early 00s. Lots of modest to ramshackle SFH's on decent sized lots for ITL. Crime was an issue at times, especially in the late 80s. There were some bars on Washington but not the scene that it is today. I think I remember a decent music venue though, could be wrong... maybe someone can jog my memory
Rockefeller’s and the satellite lounge

Old 02-16-2022, 07:41 AM

332 posts, read 260,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There was Walters near TC Jester, Satellite Lounge, Rockefellers was a great place for music.
Yeah I may have been thinking of Walters. I saw a Soundgarden concert there in the mid-90s (either '94 or '96?) and it was so loud my ears were ringing for days afterwards. Feels like most of the smaller music venues have now moved to Eado/East End and First Ward (Last Concert cafe is great)

Old 02-16-2022, 07:51 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
You might be talking about Mary Jane's. I used to see some shows there back in the day.
Yeah Washington had nothing but car lots and Laredo Taqueria before the bars and townhomes started popping up.

Quote:

Old 03-01-2022, 10:33 PM

121 posts, read 83,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You talking 1992-2000? I was better than now, just like the rest of America. Don't have any specifics though.
Houston was green and bucolic and slow paced and delightful from the 60s through the 90s. And fun! I loved it. Moved away in '98 and came back twenty years later, in 2018, and was utterly horrified. Houston has become a zoo compared to the pleasant city it was. Traffic clogged and trashy. I loved the Galleria and the shops around Post Oak. Great restaurants then like Cafe Annie and Tony's and really fun places like the Cadillac Bar and Otto's Barbecue and Captain Benny's for fresh oysters late at night, shucked right at the counter in front of you. And there was the original Ninfa's downtown for real Mexican food and Elan's and Daddy's Money for disco fun. All gone or morphed into pasteurized chains. The Post Oak area had Neiman's, which went to hell after Stanley Marcus died, and Sakowitz, two beautiful stores. Then they put up these tacky, horrendous chrome arches over Post Oak Boulevard that just ruined it. Tacky tacky tacky. And that whole area is now a cavernous jungle of high rises when in the 60s through the 80s at least very few buildings in that area were more than two stories. Everything was landscaped and pretty. Now the city is just trashed, in my opinion, and truly horrible. Can't wait to get out. Gone with the wind.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro42 View Post
Houston was green and bucolic and slow paced and delightful from the 60s through the 90s. And fun! I loved it. Moved away in '98 and came back twenty years later, in 2018, and was utterly horrified. Houston has become a zoo compared to the pleasant city it was. Traffic clogged and trashy. I loved the Galleria and the shops around Post Oak. Great restaurants then like Cafe Annie and Tony's and really fun places like the Cadillac Bar and Otto's Barbecue and Captain Benny's for fresh oysters late at night, shucked right at the counter in front of you. And there was the original Ninfa's downtown for real Mexican food and Elan's and Daddy's Money for disco fun. All gone or morphed into pasteurized chains. The Post Oak area had Neiman's, which went to hell after Stanley Marcus died, and Sakowitz, two beautiful stores. Then they put up these tacky, horrendous chrome arches over Post Oak Boulevard that just ruined it. Tacky tacky tacky. And that whole area is now a cavernous jungle of high rises when in the 60s through the 80s at least very few buildings in that area were more than two stories. Everything was landscaped and pretty. Now the city is just trashed, in my opinion, and truly horrible. Can't wait to get out. Gone with the wind.

Have you been to Austin or Dallas in recent months?

Houston is hardly the only large TX city that has changed as you described.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:22 AM

9,856 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Boomer comment of the year?

Old 03-02-2022, 08:32 AM

Original Ninfas is still there and doing well. I was just there last Sat night.

We now have WAY better BBQ than Ottos....you need to get out more. LOL

Old 03-02-2022, 08:44 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,044,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Boomer comment of the year?
Lol I think so. Houston was way trashier, tacky, and crime-ridden in the 80s and 90s with way less cool stuff to do. The lone better thing about the city back then was that it had Astroworld. That's it. There was just as much (if not more) traffic congestion back then too.

Way better city today imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston