Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 06:35 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,183,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's what they think, but they are wrong. There's a bad crowd at every school. And bad crowd does not mean kids of a different ethnicity. It means kids who lead themselves, and other kids, astray.
I do agree somewhat. It's not like there are no drugs at those 9/10 suburban high schools. You would still need to keep an eye on your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 07:56 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,769,836 times
Quote:
Who cares what great schools says? My kid went to a school rated 3/10, graduated 4th in his class, goes to A&M, and had a perfectly good education, including a number of AP classes and got credit for 4 college level classes. School is pretty much what you make of it. Stay involved, meet the teachers and administration, and your kids will be fine.
I agree for the most part. My only issue are the areas poorly rated schools tend to reside in.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:35 PM

15,510 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I agree for the most part. My only issue are the areas poorly rated schools tend to reside in.
It's Houston, where the $10 million + mansions of River Oaks were once blocks away from the 4th Ward and Allen Parkway Village. Where the Heights is near Independence Heights, etc. Most schools have a mix of socioeconomic levels. Except, maybe, Memorial, which SBISD tries very hard to keep the riff raff out of.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:04 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,224,539 times
Quote:
It's Houston, where the $10 million + mansions of River Oaks were once blocks away from the 4th Ward and Allen Parkway Village. Where the Heights is near Independence Heights, etc. Most schools have a mix of socioeconomic levels. Except, maybe, Memorial, which SBISD tries very hard to keep the riff raff out of.
Across the freeway from The Woodlands folks barely have running water but they send them to Oak Ridge

Old 04-12-2022, 10:27 AM

15,510 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Across the freeway from The Woodlands folks barely have running water but they send them to Oak Ridge
Yeah, Montgomery County is far more segregated than Harris County. The good folks in The Woodlands would have hysterics if their kids had to go to school with those kids from Tamina.

Old 04-12-2022, 01:34 PM

14 posts, read 12,519 times
Op here. Thank you for all of the replies. I hope I didn't offend anyone. We also moved from highly rated schools from el-mid-high on greatschools.

Where we lived, it matched up directly - meaning if the schools were 9/10 they were located in a nice area with shopping/family friendly activities. I see that's not necessarily the case here and that it would be fine to go to a lower rated school.

Alot of homes on har.com have such low ratings for homes even if the home is spectacular and the neighborhood seems nice. I understand greatschools.com is not the end all be all and will utilize schooldigger to add to the research. Thanks to all who added your research or your direct local knowledge.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:07 PM

206 posts, read 299,380 times
My family and I moved from the top rated Eanes ISD in a Austin to Fort Bend ISD in Sugar Land. I looked into Houston, Memorial, Woodlands, Katy, etc. In the end, Fort Bend ISD in Sugar Land was the best option. I found a home zone to the trifecta, Commonwealth Elementary School, Fort Settlement Middle School, and Clements High School. My realtor friend said the most important was Clements High School zoning. All the schools ranked high on har.com and is very competitive, especially Clements. It was the one area where I found all top rated schools, and chose to move here. Not many houses go on sale in the area zoned to all three schools. When they get on market, they do not last long and are usually $500k to over $1 million. The district is changing the zoning and in 2023, the attendance of Commonwealth Elementary gets cut by over 600 because they are moving people from Avalon at Riverstone to another elementary, making people that want these three schools having to bid for a smaller pool of available houses.

Good luck in finding what you’re looking for, there are probably other homes zoned to top rated schools for elementary through high school in HISD and other districts, but I wasn’t able to find one with the ratings for these three schools.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:13 AM

9 posts, read 6,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwayne View Post
My family and I moved from the top rated Eanes ISD in a Austin to Fort Bend ISD in Sugar Land. I looked into Houston, Memorial, Woodlands, Katy, etc. In the end, Fort Bend ISD in Sugar Land was the best option. I found a home zone to the trifecta, Commonwealth Elementary School, Fort Settlement Middle School, and Clements High School. My realtor friend said the most important was Clements High School zoning. All the schools ranked high on har.com and is very competitive, especially Clements. It was the one area where I found all top rated schools, and chose to move here. Not many houses go on sale in the area zoned to all three schools. When they get on market, they do not last long and are usually $500k to over $1 million. The district is changing the zoning and in 2023, the attendance of Commonwealth Elementary gets cut by over 600 because they are moving people from Avalon at Riverstone to another elementary, making people that want these three schools having to bid for a smaller pool of available houses.

Good luck in finding what you’re looking for, there are probably other homes zoned to top rated schools for elementary through high school in HISD and other districts, but I wasn’t able to find one with the ratings for these three schools.
iamwayne, what are your thoughts on the gifted & talented middle school academy in FBISD? Do academy students register for the same courses as other district middle schools? If so, what is the benefit of commuting to attend? Do all GT academy students take AP and Pre-AP in all core courses and if not what are the levels offered at GTA? Please share any recent knowledge or experience you may have or heard. TIA!

Old 04-13-2022, 01:45 PM

247 posts, read 1,141,808 times
Greatschools is an incredibly flawed rating system. School digger is much better. We just moved to Klein, which has some excellent schools. And some pretty terrible ones. The overall district rating can be drug down by a few schools, that could by 20 miles away from where your kids will go.

Old 04-13-2022, 04:25 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,958,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I do agree somewhat. It's not like there are no drugs at those 9/10 suburban high schools. You would still need to keep an eye on your kids.
I have a coworker that went to Kingwood high school in the 2000s and the stories he tells are shocking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston