Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 05:03 PM

15,510 posts, read 7,546,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I have a coworker that went to Kingwood high school in the 2000s and the stories he tells are shocking.
Yeah, Kingwood had a high school drug problem and a high school criminal problem in the mid to late 90's, and maybe into the 2000's. And it wasn't due to lower socioeconomic status kids, but rather, bored upper middle class kids living in a suburb with no real activities for them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_K...bery_incidents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 05:03 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,666,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accborn View Post
iamwayne, what are your thoughts on the gifted & talented middle school academy in FBISD? Do academy students register for the same courses as other district middle schools? If so, what is the benefit of commuting to attend? Do all GT academy students take AP and Pre-AP in all core courses and if not what are the levels offered at GTA? Please share any recent knowledge or experience you may have or heard. TIA!
They take pre AP courses in the core courses. They also will take Spanish, which they won’t necessarily take at the other middle schools. They will be in core classes with only GTA students. At other middle schools, they can take the same pre AP courses, but they will be in classes with students who are GT and students who are not GT who want to take pre AP courses. The pre AP courses at the academy are more project based and more challenging from what I have heard. AP courses don’t come until high school. My child applied for the academy but was not admitted because of the lottery. He is about to graduate high school now (went to Fort Settlement MS instead). Ultimately, I think it comes down to what middle school you are zoned for and what you want for your child. Is the academy necessary to be successful? Not in my opinion.

As for the other post about FBISD, I purposefully wanted my kids not to go to Clements HS. Too much pressure there. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:47 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,958,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Yeah, Kingwood had a high school drug problem and a high school criminal problem in the mid to late 90's, and maybe into the 2000's. And it wasn't due to lower socioeconomic status kids, but rather, bored upper middle class kids living in a suburb with no real activities for them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_K...bery_incidents
To my ears, it sounds like there were a lot of parents there who, by virtue of being economically successful and thus claiming to be the pillar of the regional economy, plus making a show of giving generously to the 100 Club, that believed their precious well-appointed progeny didn't need to suffer equal treatment regarding behavior and law enforcement as compared to those of lesser means.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:33 PM

15,510 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
To my ears, it sounds like there were a lot of parents there who, by virtue of being economically successful and thus claiming to be the pillar of the regional economy, plus making a show of giving generously to the 100 Club, that believed their precious well-appointed progeny didn't need to suffer equal treatment regarding behavior and law enforcement as compared to those of lesser means.
That is an excellent summary!

Old 04-14-2022, 06:32 AM

9 posts, read 6,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
They take pre AP courses in the core courses. They also will take Spanish, which they won’t necessarily take at the other middle schools. They will be in core classes with only GTA students. At other middle schools, they can take the same pre AP courses, but they will be in classes with students who are GT and students who are not GT who want to take pre AP courses. The pre AP courses at the academy are more project based and more challenging from what I have heard. AP courses don’t come until high school. My child applied for the academy but was not admitted because of the lottery. He is about to graduate high school now (went to Fort Settlement MS instead). Ultimately, I think it comes down to what middle school you are zoned for and what you want for your child. Is the academy necessary to be successful? Not in my opinion.

As for the other post about FBISD, I purposefully wanted my kids not to go to Clements HS. Too much pressure there. Different strokes for different folks.
Thank you very much, swopoe! It is helpful to know the details. I have seen Clements mentioned often in my search for answers in these forums. Apparently, it must be "the" high school in fbisd, I guess, but not on my radar right now for TX.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:12 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,666,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accborn View Post
Thank you very much, swopoe! It is helpful to know the details. I have seen Clements mentioned often in my search for answers in these forums. Apparently, it must be "the" high school in fbisd, I guess, but not on my radar right now for TX.

Glad I could help. Feel free to ask me anything else about the schools!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston