Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 10:49 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,053,003 times

Advertisements

This should be interesting. Didn't go so well last time, but mainly due to the oil bust. I'm sure the residents will still raise hell about it though.

https://headtopics.com/us/exclusive-...-site-26097928
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 11:13 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
I used to live one street south of this site. I really hope the project goes ahead this time, if only because the residents of that neighborhood deserve it. Is there any group more insufferable than those who want to reap the benefits of close-in living but will raise a stink whenever they are faced with any of the associated inconveniences? (traffic, "strangers" parking on the street, etc)

Old 05-02-2022, 11:51 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I used to live one street south of this site. I really hope the project goes ahead this time, if only because the residents of that neighborhood deserve it. Is there any group more insufferable than those who want to reap the benefits of close-in living but will raise a stink whenever they are faced with any of the associated inconveniences? (traffic, "strangers" parking on the street, etc)
I like this take... so true!

I adore that neighborhood so I genuinely feel the residents' worry over it changing, but adding a little density just makes sense.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times
Quote:
I like this take and also to add a certain twist to the formula - applying the same logic to ex-urbs / soon to be suburbs. In my case, every resident who has moved to Fulshear within the last 5-7 years, specifically to MPCs like Cross Creek Ranch or Fulbrook (read: development). These people, who bought into a development, turn around and complain about any additional development/growth/population increase/traffic that occurs after they have moved in.

One specific example, a resident of CCR on a nextdoor group complained about the development of the Texas Heritage Parkway, a new north south connector between FM 1093 and I-10; this person lamented that "all this development is just paving over prairie land." To which another poster responded "Lady, you ARE the development."

Old 05-02-2022, 04:48 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Wow, I don't get this at all? They deserve it?!? It's not like these people are NIMBYs. They're in an area that's been developed for decades (unlike the CCR example above). And the issues they raised haven't changed.

I used to live in Southampton. Our concerns were primarily traffic related. It's on the corner of two roads, both of which are two lane, neither of which has a center turn lane or medians. Traffic will be a disaster on Bissonnet. Most of these newer inner-city high rise projects are on roads that can handle the traffic.

I moved about four years ago, to a high rise myself, just a couple miles away. But it's on the corner of two streets that are both four lane roads, with a median and turn lanes. Traffic is still no fun, but at least when someone wants to turn, it won't stop traffic for half a mile behind them.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:12 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
A 134 unit building isn't going to change traffic much at all. The 2019 daily traffic count from South Main to Shepherd on Bissonet was 15,000 vehicles. increasing that by 500(3.5%) isn't going to make much, if any difference.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:19 PM

317 posts, read 228,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
A 134 unit building isn't going to change traffic much at all. The 2019 daily traffic count from South Main to Shepherd on Bissonet was 15,000 vehicles. increasing that by 500(3.5%) isn't going to make much, if any difference.
Will there be retail on the ground floor?

Old 05-02-2022, 07:24 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Wow, I don't get this at all? They deserve it?!? It's not like these people are NIMBYs. They're in an area that's been developed for decades (unlike the CCR example above). And the issues they raised haven't changed.

I used to live in Southampton. Our concerns were primarily traffic related. It's on the corner of two roads, both of which are two lane, neither of which has a center turn lane or medians. Traffic will be a disaster on Bissonnet. Most of these newer inner-city high rise projects are on roads that can handle the traffic.

I moved about four years ago, to a high rise myself, just a couple miles away. But it's on the corner of two streets that are both four lane roads, with a median and turn lanes. Traffic is still no fun, but at least when someone wants to turn, it won't stop traffic for half a mile behind them.
There's not much difference between that one and the one built on the edge of Rice Village. Only difference-one is actually in Rice Village and it is near less expensive homes than the one on Ashby. The claims they fought it with in court were just ridiculous. I can understand not wanting additional traffic and not wanting a 20 story building overlooking your house. But they were claiming things like foundation problems would occur and all sorts of nonsense. And then they got the city to bend the law to fight it. That left a bad taste in my mouth.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:26 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I don't know what the statistics are, but it seems like high rise people drive much less than people in SFH or apartments. I just never see much traffic going in and out of these places during peak hours. A lot of second home owners maybe?

Old 05-02-2022, 09:24 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't know what the statistics are, but it seems like high rise people drive much less than people in SFH or apartments. I just never see much traffic going in and out of these places during peak hours. A lot of second home owners maybe?
I'm sure these folks will drive just as much as the SF dwellers in the neighborhood. Which means, the impact on traffic just won't be that much. It would be way more if it was, say, an office building like the one that was built in River Oaks several years ago.

Rich people all over the city can't seem to handle the fact that the City doesn't regulate building height, apart from airport zones. These fights have occurred in River Oaks and Tanglewood. Even Frostwood, which moaned to high heaven when the first tall office buildings were built across their back fences back in the 1980s. There were some proposed multifamily towers near the Woodway / Voss / San Felipe area years ago, and homeowners across the Bayou in the Villages tried to find a way to sue to keep the buildings from going up. It's ridiculous and makes the complainers look pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston