Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 11:13 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
I lived in Philly suburbs (Delaware County) for the better part of my childhood.

Houston suburbs are different from Philly suburbs. Sugar Land, Katy, and Pearland are all suburbs, but noticeably denser, closer, and more direct to get to "Houston" than a Philly suburb would be.

Houston suburbs (at least the three I named) are likely more diverse than the inner loop of Houston. This, I'd argue, is the opposite in Philly (i.e. Philly suburbs are less diverse than city proper).

A lot of things to do are outside of downtown Houston anyways, so even if you lived in Meyerland, for example, you'll still need to drive most everywhere (and sit in the awful 610 traffic like the rest of us).

An important consideration for you is where your job will be.
From Meyerland, there are all sorts of ways to get to other parts of town that do not require getting on a freeway. Too many folks seem to think the freeways are the only way to get somewhere. Which is why I tend to not use the freeways, and still get to my destination just as fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 12:15 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
Have you visited Houston before? How familiar are you with it? I would suggest renting before buying so you can really get to know the different areas of Houston and find your spot.
If you are talking about long term renting for a year or so, that's not a best advice since 2020.
Waiting for a market crash makes sense though... but what if it never happens? Short term renting is still reasonable

Old 05-27-2022, 03:23 PM

62 posts, read 63,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
From Meyerland, there are all sorts of ways to get to other parts of town that do not require getting on a freeway. Too many folks seem to think the freeways are the only way to get somewhere. Which is why I tend to not use the freeways, and still get to my destination just as fast.
How would you go from Chimney Rock and Beechnut to Heights, EaDo, Spring Branch, or any other area north of 59 during rush hour? The side streets all back up as much, except like Westheimer and Bellaire.

Old 05-27-2022, 04:29 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
How would you go from Chimney Rock and Beechnut to Heights, EaDo, Spring Branch, or any other area north of 59 during rush hour? The side streets all back up as much, except like Westheimer and Bellaire.
Straight North on Chimney Rock to Memorial, or to I-10. Memorial inbound to inside 610 is decent in the evenings, as is Woodway. You can go up to Westview and East to Post Oak, up to Hempstead, then pick a street to go East. I just try to avoid 610 and 59 in general.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:30 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Renting a house in this neighborhood (Westbury/Maplewood South/Willowbend) for a year is a great idea. My prediction is that you will love it and decide to buy, but will be able to do so with some particulars about neighborhood, traffic, flooding etc. in mind that you might not know if buying from afar.

Prices in the 77035/77096 have been stable, there is no bubble and I would not make any decisions about buying versus waiting a year with a "housing bubble" or "crash" in your mind. That is not a thing here, it will not be a thing here.

FYI, I lived in West Philly for a while, lived in NYC, DC, other places in the northeast. I've lived in Houston for about 20 years now. I love this neighborhood. I wish it had more restaurants/retail immediately in the neighborhood, but we're so close to the Galleria, Bellaire, Montrose, etc. it doesn't really matter.

Old 05-30-2022, 08:25 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Renting a house in this neighborhood (Westbury/Maplewood South/Willowbend) for a year is a great idea. My prediction is that you will love it and decide to buy, but will be able to do so with some particulars about neighborhood, traffic, flooding etc. in mind that you might not know if buying from afar.

Prices in the 77035/77096 have been stable, there is no bubble and I would not make any decisions about buying versus waiting a year with a "housing bubble" or "crash" in your mind. That is not a thing here, it will not be a thing here.

FYI, I lived in West Philly for a while, lived in NYC, DC, other places in the northeast. I've lived in Houston for about 20 years now. I love this neighborhood. I wish it had more restaurants/retail immediately in the neighborhood, but we're so close to the Galleria, Bellaire, Montrose, etc. it doesn't really matter.
Yup. I live in Willow Bend and its a great area to live. The people are amazing, its close to everything, the houses are unique, and its very reasonably priced. Its also quite liberal which is a plus for me. I wish it was closer to IAH because I fly so often, but that's really my only complaint.

Old 06-01-2022, 04:24 PM

13 posts, read 9,086 times
I appreciate all the advice! Actually just planned a trip down around 4th of July and going to get a feel for all places suggested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston