Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 08:14 PM

647 posts, read 1,524,746 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly considering moving to Houston but this factor kind of deters me. Don't get me wrong - I don't mind rain or storms (in fact I prefer that kind of weather) BUT I'm more worried about hurricanes and catastrophic flooding/storm damage to residence.

I'm between Denver and Houston but this factor kind of makes me want to go with Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 08:51 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,643,685 times
It will happen eventually. Could be 2 years or 50 years. The problem in Houston is usually more of the response and lack of proper infrastructure and preparation. It has got a lot better since Harvey, but the question is why did we have to wait for Harvey to know something will eventually happen. And now that time has passed, news cycles shifted and peoples minds are on other things (such as COVID), the preparation and awareness has started coming down again.

Depending on your situation, if you want to live in Houston and avoid hurricane damage as much as possible, you’d be better off in Conroe or Woodlands area not only because it’s further away from the coast but also because it’s better prepared.

For obvious reasons, those places are more expensive than other parts of the metro.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,505,512 times
I think we will be better prepared when it comes,insulating pipes,I may stay up all night and keep water running,so I will have a high water bill but better than having the ceiling of my kitchen,garage,bedrooms all collapsed!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,799,122 times
To some degree, flooding risk can be minimized (buy a house on relatively high ground, ideally near the boundary of two watersheds and/or in a recently built community with good drainage). Winter storm damage can be avoided by draining your pipes and having a backup power and heating solution.

A direct hit from a hurricane is a bit scarier...not much you can do to defend your home other than keeping nearby trees trimmed and buying a set of storm shutters. The worst hurricane I've been through in Houston in terms of wind damage was Ike. It hit just east of Houston but did cause widespread and not insignificant damage.

I've gotta say - it would be tough to turn down Denver for Houston if you have a choice between them, unless you can't stand snow/ice/cold weather.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:23 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,643,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
To some degree, flooding risk can be minimized (buy a house on relatively high ground, ideally near the boundary of two watersheds and/or in a recently built community with good drainage). Winter storm damage can be avoided by draining your pipes and having a backup power and heating solution.

A direct hit from a hurricane is a bit scarier...not much you can do to defend your home other than keeping nearby trees trimmed and buying a set of storm shutters. The worst hurricane I've been through in Houston in terms of wind damage was Ike. It hit just east of Houston but did cause widespread and not insignificant damage.

I've gotta say - it would be tough to turn down Denver for Houston if you have a choice between them, unless you can't stand snow/ice/cold weather.
I will never understand what people like about Denver.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I don't mind snow/ice/cold at all but I also don't mind rain and storms either. Weather isn't an important factor to me at all unless it's catastrophic weather.

Affordability is the most important factor to me and Houston is clearly the cheaper one BUT having to go through a hurricane that damages all your stuff/residence doesn't sound affordable all that much either.

Also, I can't see myself owning a house in either place soon. I only make $50k a year, have poor credit and student loan debt. So I'll likely be renting an apartment - preferably alone but if not then with one roommate.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:18 PM

1,742 posts, read 1,036,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
I'm strongly considering moving to Houston but this factor kind of deters me. Don't get me wrong - I don't mind rain or storms (in fact I prefer that kind of weather) BUT I'm more worried about hurricanes and catastrophic flooding/storm damage to residence.

I'm between Denver and Houston but this factor kind of makes me want to go with Denver.
Houston gets a hurricane about every 20 years. Harvey was unusual in that it dropped record level amounts of rainfall which caused excessive flooding. Even so, a majority of Houston residents were not impacted by house flooding.

Risks are low for "catastrophic" damage to your residence but if you are that risk averse then don't move anywhere along the Gulf Coast.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Houston gets a hurricane about every 20 years. Harvey was unusual in that it dropped record level amounts of rainfall which caused excessive flooding. Even so, a majority of Houston residents were not impacted by house flooding.

Risks are low for "catastrophic" damage to your residence but if you are that risk averse then don't move anywhere along the Gulf Coast.
Idk if I'm risk averse BUT I'm accident prone and kind of have bad luck in general.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

I am outside Houston in Richmond along 1093,many of my neighbors have suffered serious damage,Houston residents suffered worse.
You can go to Youtube and watch some of the flooding in Houston during Harvey

Old 07-01-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I will never understand what people like about Denver.
IT IS not fair to compare Houston with Denver,2 different cities,Houston is much diverse,much bigger,if you like big city living,hot weather than it is for you.
You can easily go to Galveston,Dallas,San Anthonio,Corpus Christie and even New Orelans .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston