Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 11:28 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I live in DFW and visited Houston for the first time recently and wanted to share my thoughts.

1. I like how everything is centered around downtown. In DFW, nothing really feels centered around Fort Worth or Dallas downtowns, it's just suburban sprawl in every direction. Of course Houston has sprawl but at least everything is orbiting the city.

2. The highways are less confusing than the ones in DFW. I didn't see too many complex and congested interchanges like we have in DFW. The ones near downtown Dallas are a nightmare to navigate.

3. A lot more trees than Dallas and palm trees made it feel like Miami a little bit.

4. Houston seems a lot more ethnically diverse than Dallas. In most places I went, there were a ton of Hispanics, African Americans, and Asians.

5. The Houston city limits are HUGE. IAH is in Houston, downtown is Houston, Chinatown is Houston, and the NASA stuff is Houston. You can drive for an hour and still be in Houston. In Dallas I could have been 2-3 towns over in that time.

6. Downtown Houston was kind of boring and was a deadzone. I don't think Fort Worth and Dallas have great downtowns, but they definitely have more foot traffic and touristy things to do than Houston downtown.

7. The tolls seem disorganized. I saw several lanes closed for toll booths that look like they haven't been opened in years.

8. The humidity makes a huge difference. Similar temperatures as DFW but the humidity makes it feel so much hotter.

9. Drivers were better than DFW. Maybe it was just a good day, but I didn't see as many crazy drivers as I see on a regular basis in DFW.

Overall it's a nice town, but I think I prefer DFW for less humidity and more things to do.
Regarding the tolls, the difference between the two is that Houston still had tollbooth operators on several toll roads pre-pandemic, while DFW had already gone (completely?) to electronic tolling at that time. All of the lanes that were previously manned by operators have been closed since early 2020. HCTRA is in the early stages of rebuilding the tollbooth areas to eliminate the manned toll stations and expand cashless lanes to smooth things out, so this should improve over time.

Regarding the drivers - yeah it was probably a good day, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 11:35 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

Regarding the drivers - yeah it was probably a good day, trust me.
I’m going to have to side with those that say DFW drivers are a bit worse. Difference isn’t huge but definitely noticeable. Now which has worse traffic is a different story. But DFW drivers are some of the worst I’ve seen in the US outside of Miami

Old 09-21-2022, 12:51 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m going to have to side with those that say DFW drivers are a bit worse. Difference isn’t huge but definitely noticeable. Now which has worse traffic is a different story. But DFW drivers are some of the worst I’ve seen in the US outside of Miami
Yeah...DFW Drivers are probably a smidge worse and Houston Drivers will pull out a gun and kill you before DFW drivers......just a fun fact.

Old 09-21-2022, 02:09 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,742 times
You nailed it...except for the good drivers thingy. LOL

Old 09-21-2022, 02:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yeah...DFW Drivers are probably a smidge worse and Houston Drivers will pull out a gun and kill you before DFW drivers......just a fun fact.
Is that because Houston drivers are just better shots or are more likely to pull a gun in the first place?

Old 09-21-2022, 02:40 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
When you are sitting at a Dallas red light and it turns green, must you wait while 5 additional cars pass before proceeding to avoid being t-boned?

Old 09-21-2022, 03:01 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
You nailed it...except for the good drivers thingy. LOL

I'm not saying Houston drivers are good, I just didn't see as crazy of stuff as I see in DFW. They also seem less aggressive. I've lost count of how many lifted pickup truck drivers in DFW riding my butt and flashing high beams for driving the speed limit in the far right lane or middle lane. I did see someone in Houston merge two lanes across to highway to avoid missing the exit which is a common behavior in DFW.

Dallas recently won an award for "most dangerous city to drive in the US" and this really wasn't surprising to me in any way.

I did see a lot more "ghetto" looking cars with big rims and spikes coming out of the side of them. Never seen those in DFW, just mostly beat up Altimas with paper license plates.

Old 09-21-2022, 03:12 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm not saying Houston drivers are good, I just didn't see as crazy of stuff as I see in DFW. They also seem less aggressive. I've lost count of how many lifted pickup truck drivers in DFW riding my butt and flashing high beams for driving the speed limit in the far right lane or middle lane. I did see someone in Houston merge two lanes across to highway to avoid missing the exit which is a common behavior in DFW.

Dallas recently won an award for "most dangerous city to drive in the US" and this really wasn't surprising to me in any way.

I did see a lot more "ghetto" looking cars with big rims and spikes coming out of the side of them. Never seen those in DFW, just mostly beat up Altimas with paper license plates.
I personally find Miami worse than both but I agree with Dallas just edging Houston out in more dangerous drivers.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:27 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Is that because Houston drivers are just better shots or are more likely to pull a gun in the first place?

Old 09-21-2022, 07:40 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I personally find Miami worse than both but I agree with Dallas just edging Houston out in more dangerous drivers.
Miami is the worst place I've ever driven. I can't think of a worse combination of drivers than Haitians, Cubans (nothing against either of these places, but they aren't exactly known for following the rules of the road like a place like Germany), lost tourists, and old people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston