Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 09:41 PM

828 posts, read 449,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I recently compiled some data on parks between the two cities (from their official websites) Houston has almost twice the park space:

Major City of Houston Parks

Houston Parks & Outdoors | Houston.org

Houston Parks and Recreation Department (HPARD) oversees 380 developed municipal parks and more than 167 green spaces, which together encompass approximately 39,501 acres.

Dallas Parks
Parks | Dallas Parks, TX - Official Website
The Dallas Park System is one of the largest municipal park systems in the nation with 397 parks totaling over 20,118 acres of developed and undeveloped parkland including:
- 18,994 park land acres
- 1,124 surface acres of water
- 7 lakes and 33 ponds
- 158 miles of developed trails
- 4 dog parks
- Athletic fields, playgrounds, spraygrounds, tennis, basketball and volleyball courts, picnic shelters

View a complete searchable list of the Dallas parks including all features and amenities.
To be fair Houston is also almost 2x the population and almost 2x the land area so it makes sense Houston almost has 2x as much park space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 09:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
To be fair Houston is also almost 2x the population and almost 2x the land area so it makes sense Houston almost has 2x as much park space.

I noticed that too. I certainly do think Houston is more green than Dallas but I wouldn’t ring them off of total greens please because of what you mentioned

Old 09-27-2022, 10:15 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I noticed that too. I certainly do think Houston is more green than Dallas but I wouldn’t ring them off of total greens please because of what you mentioned
I was expecting the Dallas boosters to chime in but the Houston apologists never fail!

FACT: The city of Houston is 665 square miles, 40% bigger than the size of Dallas

Old 09-28-2022, 11:26 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
I was expecting the Dallas boosters to chime in but the Houston apologists never fail!

FACT: The city of Houston is 665 square miles, 40% bigger than the size of Dallas
No need to chime in on common sense.....More Space More land more greenspace.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:48 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:

The metro areas, which are what really matter when you talk about what it's like to live in a place, are rather close in population with DFW at 7.75M and Houston at 7.21M.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:58 PM

869 posts, read 318,625 times
Dallas: Definitely worst drivers, Definitely more confusing freeways, Better cohesion in almost all aspects, More pleasing to the eye when driving through the Metroplex, far more organized all around, far more uptight and bougie, takes money to impress the chicks here.

Houston: Much better venues for individual ethnic groups, much better food choices, worse air pollution, more eyesores when driving through the Greater Houston area, far less organized all around, far more lush greenery, far more laid back and nonchalant, takes swag and humor to impress the chicks.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:

What do you think “I do think Houston is greener than Dallas” means? Statistics can be misleading. This is one example. Houston is greener than Dallas but not by the margin that the city limits that are twice as big show. I call out misleading statistics all the time for all kinds of places. Earlier, I did it for Atlanta in another thread

Old 10-01-2022, 07:44 PM

869 posts, read 318,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
What do you think “I do think Houston is greener than Dallas” means? Statistics can be misleading. This is one example. Houston is greener than Dallas but not by the margin that the city limits that are twice as big show. I call out misleading statistics all the time for all kinds of places. Earlier, I did it for Atlanta in another thread

But Houston (area) IS greener than Dallas (area), and PRECISELY BY the wide margin that the city limits that are twice a big show. How on earth is that misleading when it's just pure fact?

What I don't understand is why that would be some sort of arguing point. Houston is in an almost entirely different eco region than Dallas...it was built on a swamp, has better tree soil, gets at least 20 inches of more rain on average, and is humid 97 percent of the time. It just makes sense.

That's like a Houston Homer arguing that the Greater Houston area is bigger than the Metroplex. Just weird.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:14 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
But Houston (area) IS greener than Dallas (area), and PRECISELY BY the wide margin that the city limits that are twice a big show. How on earth is that misleading when it's just pure fact?

What I don't understand is why that would be some sort of arguing point. Houston is in an almost entirely different eco region than Dallas...it was built on a swamp, has better tree soil, gets at least 20 inches of more rain on average, and is humid 97 percent of the time. It just makes sense.

That's like a Houston Homer arguing that the Greater Houston area is bigger than the Metroplex. Just weird.
The per capita data posted by Elnina is even more compelling. We should build on our strengths…not make excuses.

Quote:
Houston definitely feels much greener than Dallas, but i didn't know that the difference is so huge:

Dallas:
- Green space per capita: 9,637 sq. ft.
- Population: 7.1 million

Green Dallas reports that 46% of the city’s total land is developed, and about 27% of that is designated green space.

Houston:
- Green space per capita: 41,514 sq. ft.
- Population: 6.6 million

Houston has undergone a green renaissance recently with the $200 million Bayou Greenways 2020 project, which hopes to have 60% of residents within 1.5 miles of a park when it’s completed. Developers announced in 2019 that the 550,000-square foot, abandoned Barbara Jordan Post Office has been repurposed and will house a 6-acre rooftop park, one of the largest in the world.

https://stacker.com/texas/texas-has-...n-space-capita

Old 10-02-2022, 11:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post

Its the government pushing trees though.
I have noticed , especially in poorer areas, as soon as someone moves into a house the first thing they do is chop down the tree in the front yard.

If there is no HOA or no ordinance protecting the tree either the flipper or the new homeowner immediately chops down the tree. Then they complain that it's hard to cool that side of the house.

I know that trees falling is a genuine concern, but I see people cutting down Live Oaks that are more than 6 feet in circumference. Those trees must be over 50 years. If they have lasted that long without falling, why would they all of a sudden fall?

My cousin lives on the east side, there used to be trees lining the street all the way to a park. It was really nice taking a walk because there was shade ask the way through. In the last 5 years a ton of houses have been flipped and all but about 5 of the massive trees have been felled and its pure hell walking the same streets now. Really sad because the trees look like they came with the neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston