Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 12:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times

Advertisements

We're trying to determine to go with either Costco or Best Buy for major kitchen appliances in Houston area. Particularly a refrigerator and dishwasher.

While Best Buy has a better selection, the models we want are available in Costco and Costco is a bit cheaper. Also Costco offers an additional year warranty complimentary and the 5 year warranty is actually reasonable at Costo vs. being prohibitively expensive at Best Buy.

But, how is the in home delivery and installation experience between Best Buy and Costco? Costco includes "free" haul away, while BB charges $40. Also BB charges $30 for a water kit - I cannot find anything about a water kit in Costco, but hopefully the would need one for the install.

If delivery and installation is at least on par, Costco is by far the better deal, but if Costco delivery/installation is an unprofessional "hot mess", then maybe it's worth the extra ~6-7% all in for Best Buy and just forgo the warranty.

Also went to Lowes and the people selling appliances looked like they could care less, so we crossed them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 12:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I have bought a dishwasher from Lowe,no problem,I have someone not affiliated with L to install the new one and haul away the old one,I paid for hauling away the old one,if you want it to be hauled away free,you have to find the right date to leave it outside your house .
I have also bought a gas range from BBY,they use outside contractor to deliver and install and haul away the old one,it is not free.
No problem,they ask me to leave them good feedback so they can win more business.
I dropped COSTCO long ago as it is not a whole sale place and you have to be a paid member.
Are you a Costco card paying member?

Old 09-25-2022, 12:15 PM

Have you checked Home Depot?
They all use outside delivery.installation service.
There is also a SEAR liquidation store on Westheimer Rd,not sure if it is still there,you can go and look for slightly damished fridge etc at a discount.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Conns has decent prices. They’re kind of annoying about luring you to their credit card though

Old 09-25-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I have bought a dishwasher from Lowe,no problem,I have someone not affiliated with L to install the new one and haul away the old one,I paid for hauling away the old one,if you want it to be hauled away free,you have to find the right date to leave it outside your house .
I have also bought a gas range from BBY,they use outside contractor to deliver and install and haul away the old one,it is not free.
No problem,they ask me to leave them good feedback so they can win more business.
I dropped COSTCO long ago as it is not a whole sale place and you have to be a paid member.
Are you a Costco card paying member?
We are Costco Executive members with Costco visa. Just asking about installation & delivery experience.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:24 PM

All - spent many hours looking at different places. Costco is by far the cheapest, just don't want shady delivery people messing up our delivery or worse. Want an honest professional delivery experience.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:26 PM

Did you check AMZN?
That Sears outlet is still open,on Westheimer Rd

Old 09-25-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Did you check AMZN?
That Sears outlet is still open,on Westheimer Rd
I won't trust AMZN for a major purchase and installation. Sears doesn't carry the specific product we want.

Price is price- at this point just asking for experiences with quality & professional delivery that respects the purchasers property.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
All - spent many hours looking at different places. Costco is by far the cheapest, just don't want shady delivery people messing up our delivery or worse. Want an honest professional delivery experience.
If COstco website is like the others,buyers usually will leave feedback on their experience.
I think they all use outsiders to deliver,install and haul away old pieces.

Old 09-25-2022, 12:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
We're trying to determine to go with either Costco or Best Buy for major kitchen appliances in Houston area. Particularly a refrigerator and dishwasher.

While Best Buy has a better selection, the models we want are available in Costco and Costco is a bit cheaper. Also Costco offers an additional year warranty complimentary and the 5 year warranty is actually reasonable at Costo vs. being prohibitively expensive at Best Buy.

But, how is the in home delivery and installation experience between Best Buy and Costco? Costco includes "free" haul away, while BB charges $40. Also BB charges $30 for a water kit - I cannot find anything about a water kit in Costco, but hopefully the would need one for the install.

If delivery and installation is at least on par, Costco is by far the better deal, but if Costco delivery/installation is an unprofessional "hot mess", then maybe it's worth the extra ~6-7% all in for Best Buy and just forgo the warranty.

Also went to Lowes and the people selling appliances looked like they could care less, so we crossed them off.
I would have gladly purchased my appliances at Costco, except stainless steel was the only choice and I wanted white. I bought them at Home Depot because our choices are very limited on Maui.

The Whirlpool range electronic panel died in less than a year, yet they refused to warrant it because the warranty started on the date I ordered the appliances, rather than when I received them 8 weeks later. ($600 to repair an $800 oven/range. )

A short time later, the ice maker died on the Whirlpool refrigerator. After repeated service calls and $500 in parts, I gave up and now buy ice.

Go with Costco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: