Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM

87 posts, read 384,341 times

Advertisements

This is VERY popular in NJ & NY but I didn't see a single one in all the towns we drove through in the Houston area. Is this not a popular place in Texas? I saw lots of Starbucks, we have those too but I don't know anyone that actually likes the burnt taste of Starbucks coffee. Just wondering if there are any Dunkin Donuts to be found anywhere?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
by doing a quick google search, there are quite a few in the Houston area. However, Krispy Kreme is much more popular in the Southern US. As a result, you won't see many dunkin donuts.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmomto2 View Post
This is VERY popular in NJ & NY but I didn't see a single one in all the towns we drove through in the Houston area. Is this not a popular place in Texas? I saw lots of Starbucks, we have those too but I don't know anyone that actually likes the burnt taste of Starbucks coffee. Just wondering if there are any Dunkin Donuts to be found anywhere?
That is the first thing we said when we moved here! Where are the Dunkin Donuts? There are a few of them around, you just have to look for (or google) them. Good luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:19 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default The Comeback Kid??

Quote:
It will likely be making a comeback in Texas. The Krispy Kreme franchisee that had locations in Houston ran into a little bit of trouble a few years ago, and all of those locations have since been closed. So, now, Houston and Amarillo are two markets in Texas that no longer have Krispy Kreme. Fortunately, they are still available near my home in Dallas. Now, as far as Dunkin Donuts is concerned for Houston, stay tuned. The big donut-maker in Houston has been Shipley's, and it's been a mainstay in the area for years and is still popular with the locals.

But when I was younger and before Krispy Kreme came onto the scene in Texas, Dunkin Donuts was the big thing. And it probably might happen again, with new locations planned for San Antonio as far as I know.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Dunkin Donuts? Krispy Kreme? Where are the self-respecting Houstonians? The only donut in Houston is Shipley's.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
we gotem here but i have seen a methodic takeover by christi's donuts (chinese chain)
very good egg rolls by the way.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
I saw lots of Starbucks, we have those too but I don't know anyone that actually likes the burnt taste of Starbucks coffee.
I love their lattes! In Seattle we had Starbucks on every corner, sometimes two so that you could stop no matter which direction you were going. There aren't nearly as many of them here. In Sugar Land I'm surprised by how few drive- through Starbucks there are. In the entire Pacific Northwest, mommies with children in car seats are lined up for a block to get their coffee fix without having to take their babies and toddlers into the store.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Dunkin Donuts? Krispy Kreme? Where are the self-respecting Houstonians? The only donut in Houston is Shipley's.
This post shows why there (sadly) aren't Dunkin Donuts in Houston. Folks in H-town just don't get it--DD is not about the donuts, it's all about the coffee. Houston is not a big coffee town. Oh sure, there is now a Starbucks on every other street corner. But this is a new phenomenon and largely due to Starbucks' over-expansion. Prior to Starbucks there was nothing. Not surprising, really, that Houston isn't a big coffee place since temperatures are scalding and humidity suffocating for much of the year. Houston is a beer and iced tea place.

I will agree that Shipley's makes the finest donut on planet earth, but their coffee is completely forgettable. Shipley's is about donuts, Dunkin Donuts is about coffee. And Krispy Kreme is just crap.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:29 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
This post shows why there (sadly) aren't Dunkin Donuts in Houston. Folks in H-town just don't get it--DD is not about the donuts, it's all about the coffee. ...

This is about the only DD stuff you can find in town... DD coffee grounds at your local grocer, nestled between the Starbucks and the Community (barf). I guess DD is pretty good because it's no cheaper than the Starbucks. Might have to try it next time. My wife told me it was supposedly among the best.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 PM

87 posts, read 384,341 times
That's funny, after I asked the realtor about this she was asking the other realtors where to find donuts - I had to quickly jump in and say, NO, Dunkin Donuts has nothing to do with the Donuts, we go there for the COFFEE only! Don't you guys drink coffee? lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston