Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:25 PM

87 posts, read 384,513 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how long you've been in the Houston area, how much you like it, what you do like and what you don't like? Also would you move back to NY /NJ? How do the schools compare?

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 37,646 times
I was born and raised in Houston, but will be moving to the NE, Boston to be exact in a few weeks. I can't compare the NE to Houston, but I can give you some advice about living down here. First, Houston's winter is extremely mild, but the Summer is hot and humid. The Woodlands is a very nice area, and relatively new suburb of Houston. There are tons of shopping centers, walking/jogging/biking trails, and has a outdoor concert pavilion. From what I hear The Woodlands has a excellent school system. The only bad part about The Woodlands is the commute to Downtown Houston/Medical Center.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM

663 posts, read 2,264,390 times
To answer your questions:

Been in Houston area 4 months, relocated from Upstate NY.
Hate it.
Would move back to NY in a minute.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 PM

10 posts, read 167,956 times
gold dust,
Thanks for the honest answer but can you elaborate a bit more? Whatre your dislikes?
thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 PM

410 posts, read 1,676,472 times
I am orginally from L.I. I also would move back in a heartbeat.
I miss the change of weather and just the NY'ers in general.
Anytime I meet someone from NY we become friends and my closest friends here in Houston are from NY.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
I was born and raised in NJ. Then moved around a bit before settling in Las Vegas. 3 years ago we visited the wife's family about 45 minutes above Houston.

We bought lake property to retire on. Since my first visit 3 years ago we have been back many many times. Always for the Rodeo and Livestock show. I love it there too much and decided that retirement was too far away. We are moving down in a few months for good.

The wife was born and raised in Humble and never stops talking about going home. She wants her Blue Bell ice cream and her family back.

You are from NJ? Then dont let Texans scare you with property taxes or car insurance. While Texas is up there a bit it is no where close to NJ. I remember paying $5000 a year for two 6 year old vehicles nor do I regret paying $8000 a year for a 1900 sqft home for property taxes. And that was 10 years ago. It is way more now.

Has that law been repealed yet whereby if you get pulled over and have no insurance there is a mandatory jail sentence without trial? Wow...

One thing I find is no one is as proud as a Texan is. I dare you to find a NYer or NJer talk up their state. There is no such thing because NY and NJ is a dump.

All the luck to you on your move.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 PM

6 posts, read 21,179 times
I moved from Rochester to Houston 10 months ago. So far we love it. We just built a house in Cypress. We have met very nice people. But, I do miss Perry's ice cream and Zweigles hot dogs.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 PM

663 posts, read 2,264,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameian View Post
gold dust,
Thanks for the honest answer but can you elaborate a bit more? Whatre your dislikes?
thanks
It's too hot. Too much Spanish. Job market sucks unless you have oil or gas experience or work in retail. No Wegmans. Rare to find pizza by the slice. Suburb hell.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 AM

410 posts, read 1,676,472 times
I doubt NY'ers and citizens fo NJ believe their state is a dump. I could say the same thing of Texas.
Now, if one is talking corruption and apathy on part of their elected officals,
Tx. has it hands down in my opinion and that might be another thread.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,688,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
It's too hot. Too much Spanish. Job market sucks unless you have oil or gas experience or work in retail. No Wegmans. Rare to find pizza by the slice. Suburb hell.
I'm sorry, I get confused by posts like this so I have to ask. Where did you think you were moving to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston