Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,994,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Houston had its Chinatown near Downtown during this time, but it is nowhere near in size and scope compared the one on Bellaire that took off in the late-70's.
man that strip on Bellaire has some top notch cuisine. Everything from authentic $70 a meal chinese food to New Orleans style vietnamese food (after Katrina the displaced Asian community settled in the area and opened their Asian restaurants that were infused with some creole/cajun soul.

Houston has the best Asian food (and food in general) in the South.

Only New York and Chicago tops Houston on the variety of food

Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,076,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^Thanks for the numbers Danny! Very interesting indeed. I second the notion that there is virtually no difference between DFW and Houston for South Asians. Any flavor of South Asian could feel very much at home either place.

The big differences in the numbers come from the fact that there are about 20,000 more Chinese and about 10,000 more Filipinos in Greater Houston. While there are about 15,000 more Koreans in DFW. There are about 12,000 more Vietnamese in Greater Houston, but given that DFW still has the nations 4th largest Vietnamese community, its not as if there is a shortage of them here.

I think its also important that we remember that not all Asians in all cities are created equal. For example, my wife is Thai. When her Aunt and Uncle moved to the states, instead of going to LA, they went to the Bay Area. But even in one of the largest Asian congregations in the US, there are virtually no Thai people there. So, wanting to leave California, they ended up in Minneapolis because some friends live there. Even though the Twin Cities do not have a huge Asian community, as it happens, the Minneapolis/St. Paul area is home to the 2nd largest Thai population in the US after LA (which is home to 70% of all Thais in the US). They have been there for 15 years and LOVE IT! They have Thai friends, there is a Thai commerce society, there is a Thai community center and multiple Thai temples.

But alas, they dont like the cold. They are supposed to move to Plano next year. While DFW's Thai population isnt as big as LA or the Twin Cities, it is the largest in the South. Maybe that will help.
Holy cow, I never imaged Minneapolis of all places to have such a large number for Thai population. That's rather interesting actually I would have imagined Bay Area or Seattle to have more.

I looked up the Japanese population in the USA and only two metropolitan areas impressed me by the numbers. (Honolulu & Los Angeles) And Bay Area I was kind of iffy about.

Los Angeles CSA: 126,361
Honolulu MSA: 128,956
Bay Area: 67,877
New York City CSA: 49,117

Given it's sheer size of nearly 22,154,752 people, I was expecting much more out of New York City on the Japanese population.

I think they will like DFW, it has all the accommodations for a big city, and IMO more tolerable weather than the Twin Cities. Plus I know for a fact DFW has great Thai food. Thai food is a must have everyday lunch option for me. And many of the metros I have been in Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, DFW, Washington DC, Bay Area, have all had good selections in the food department.

I hope they like DFW, I don't see a reason not too, it's a up and coming cosmopolitan area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Only New York and Chicago tops Houston on the variety of food
I think that's subjective though Houston is a top tier food city. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, Bay Area, Houston, DFW, Washington DC, Miami, Seattle, & Atlanta IMHO would all be considered top tier food cities. They have some of the greatest collection of food there is anywhere. All of them can match each other, IMHO from personal experience, I have had very satisfying meals in all the ones I have been too (all of those but only limited exposure to Atlanta and never been to Seattle).

Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,972,762 times
Quote:
How about I put some number together on Asians in America for the record?

Atlanta does have the largest Korean community in this side of the country. It is the city de' jour for Koreans (so to speak) the same way Dallas is with Indians and Houston is with Vietnamese. The only difference is that the Indian community in DFW and the Vietnamese community in Houston are almost double the size of the Korean community in Atlanta.

You misread my number for NY's Koreans. I said about 175,000. It turns out its actually 173,989. So you will have to forgive me.

As for total Asians, lets go by ACS numbers from 2007 and see what happens:

As of 2007, by metro area. Ill include all Combined Statistically Areas with over 250,000 Asians:

1) Los Angeles/Orange County: 2,054,062
2) New York City/Newark: 1,907,689
3) San Francisco/San Jose: 1,580,282
4) Washington/Baltimore: 564,571
5) Honolulu/Oahu: 543,423
6) Chicago/Naperville: 507,283
7) Seattle/Tacoma: 374,197
8) Boston/Worcester: 356,242
9) Houston/Galveston: 336,008
10) San Diego: 310,345
11) Dallas/Fort Worth: 309,994
12) Philadelphia/Camden: 260,127
13) Sacramento: 257,505

For reference, the Atlanta CSA has about 231,000 Asians since that was brough up earlier.
How is Dallas that way with Indians, when Houston and Dallas' Indian populations are so close?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,779,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
How is Dallas that way with Indians, when Houston and Dallas' Indian populations are so close?
Maybe I should have used a better term for city de' jour. It means its the new hot city for Indian immigrants. Not talking about total Indian population, I mean in recent years, DFW has been a hot spot for immigrants from India. I wasnt trying to take anything away from Houston's Indian community (or DFW's Vietnamese community for that matter).

Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Holy cow, I never imaged Minneapolis of all places to have such a large number for Thai population. That's rather interesting actually I would have imagined Bay Area or Seattle to have more.

I looked up the Japanese population in the USA and only two metropolitan areas impressed me by the numbers. (Honolulu & Los Angeles) And Bay Area I was kind of iffy about.

Given it's sheer size of nearly 22,154,752 people, I was expecting much more out of New York City on the Japanese population.

I think they will like DFW, it has all the accommodations for a big city, and IMO more tolerable weather than the Twin Cities. Plus I know for a fact DFW has great Thai food. Thai food is a must have everyday lunch option for me. And many of the metros I have been in Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, DFW, Washington DC, Bay Area, have all had good selections in the food department.

I hope they like DFW, I don't see a reason not too, it's a up and coming cosmopolitan area.

I think that's subjective though Houston is a top tier food city. Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, Bay Area, Houston, DFW, Washington DC, Miami, Seattle, & Atlanta IMHO would all be considered top tier food cities. They have some of the greatest collection of food there is anywhere. All of them can match each other, IMHO from personal experience, I have had very satisfying meals in all the ones I have been too (all of those but only limited exposure to Atlanta and never been to Seattle).
The Japanese were never a big settling group. In History class they said the first ones were farmers who didn't settle anywhere near the city of Houston. Mainly lower Fort Bend and upper Montgomery. Very few of them remained after WWII. Also,i read that many Japanese who come to the US for business very rarely stay here permanently

Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:

I know, it threw me for a loop, so I looked it up and sure enough, the Twin Cities are the 2nd favorite after LA for Thai immigrants. Alot of Thais we know in LA ended up there for the cheap cost of living. Minneapolis/St. Paul is also home to the largest Lao American community in the US! Who would have though? Most of them are Hmongs.

Agreed on all points. There is excellent Thai food here and I have had great Thai food in Houston as well. Agreed with your list of food cities. In any of those you can find any type of food you are looking for.

I hope they like it here too. We have plans to take them to the Thai community center here and get them involved with the Thai commerce association. They have a bowling tournament every year in Richardson that I am going to bowl in. I have a 195 average which might get me by this time (though it usually doesnt )! Hopefully it will be enough for them to feel at home.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I know, it threw me for a loop, so I looked it up and sure enough, the Twin Cities are the 2nd favorite after LA for Thai immigrants. Alot of Thais we know in LA ended up there for the cheap cost of living. Minneapolis/St. Paul is also home to the largest Lao American community in the US! Who would have though? Most of them are Hmongs.

Agreed on all points. There is excellent Thai food here and I have had great Thai food in Houston as well. Agreed with your list of food cities. In any of those you can find any type of food you are looking for.

I hope they like it here too. We have plans to take them to the Thai community center here and get them involved with the Thai commerce association. They have a bowling tournament every year in Richardson that I am going to bowl in. I have a 195 average which might get me by this time (though it usually doesnt )! Hopefully it will be enough for them to feel at home.
The Twin Cities is often a very overlooked metro area, I remember reading about a particular African nationality that has the largest immigrant base there as well. And I was actually surprised yet baffled as to how & why?!

Despite even that, it's not a very well talked about metro area but it's one of the most economically stable places in the country and it's very cosmopolitan like in nature, that whole metro goes under the radar for so many great things no one could have imaged.

Los Angeles is an animal man, that whole metropolitan area functions the way it should when it comes to integration. I found it to be more integrated than New York City, in the case that people interact a lot more outside of their ethnic neighborhoods more often. The layout of the city really helps too, that spread out nature gives everyone that reason for integration, I would assume that's only 10% of the reason.

Yeahhh my parents picked Houston over San Jose, and my dad really likes it here, he likes the space you can get in Texas. It's not too crowded but at the same time it's not dead either. It's just about right. And all the food options and amenities are all there.

Hahaha, I used to be a good bowler, lately I haven't been doing so well in that, I keep getting gutter balls every now and then which really affects my overall performance. Lol. Hopefully you're doing better with that.

I'm very happy with life in Tejas overall, everything is right there and it's friendly.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM

Isn't Tejas native american for friendly??? A lot of people think it is a hispanic word, but it is not

Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
The Twin Cities is often a very overlooked metro area, I remember reading about a particular African nationality that has the largest immigrant base there as well. And I was actually surprised yet baffled as to how & why?!

Despite even that, it's not a very well talked about metro area but it's one of the most economically stable places in the country and it's very cosmopolitan like in nature, that whole metro goes under the radar for so many great things no one could have imaged.
Yeah, there are lot of things that are surprising in the country. The majors names (NYC, LA, the Bay, Chicago, and DC) get so much attention that sometimes people dont know so many great things about the smaller names (like Minneapolis).

For example I work in the airline industry in contractual negotiations. Did you know that the local market (not counting connections) from Detroit to Asia is larger than the local markets from DFW, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami to Asia combined?! Yet, Detroit has a much smaller Asian population than DFW, Houston, and Atlanta. That all has to do with business ties (particularly to Japan). Yet, it you just look at Detroits small Asian population, you would never think that in a million years.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, there are lot of things that are surprising in the country. The majors names (NYC, LA, the Bay, Chicago, and DC) get so much attention that sometimes people dont know so many great things about the smaller names (like Minneapolis).

For example I work in the airline industry in contractual negotiations. Did you know that the local market (not counting connections) from Detroit to Asia is larger than the local markets from DFW, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami to Asia combined?! Yet, Detroit has a much smaller Asian population than DFW, Houston, and Atlanta. That all has to do with business ties (particularly to Japan). Yet, it you just look at Detroits small Asian population, you would never think that in a million years.
I am positive they are banking off that Detroit connection. Even by airport, many would never imagine Detroit to have such a great one at that, in which it has a superb airport.

And I honestly would have never imagined it that they have more connections to Asia than DFW, Houston, & Atlanta.

It came off as a fun fact nearly in the fact that after reading it I spent a few minutes thinking "how is this possible?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston