Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:41 AM

22 posts, read 86,377 times

Advertisements

Which office in the Houston area has acceptable wait times when getting a new drivers license (exchanging my out of state one)? I am working 9-5 M-F, so those times are out for me.

Getting my titles was a real adventure, so I was hoping that DL wait times might be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:49 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
The one near the Beltway and I-10 is the easiest. If you get their right when it opens you don't even have to take a number. However, you might be required to take a driving test when coming in from out of state.

I've heard the Downtown DMV is always empty.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:28 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,739,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The one near the Beltway and I-10 is the easiest. If you get their right when it opens you don't even have to take a number. However, you might be required to take a driving test when coming in from out of state.

Only need to retest if your out of state license is expired.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

Now didn't you just hassle me over imprecise terms in another thread about commuting? Ya know, the Beltway and I-10 cross in two places, about 50 miles apart?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:07 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
hmmm. True. Beltway and I-10 WEST. LOL. Sorry. What's around Beltway and I-10 east though?

Old 09-06-2008, 10:49 AM

44 posts, read 157,195 times
My experiences transferring title and DL to Texas were both horrible! I had my Texas license before moving to another state and then, I came back to Texas.

I checked the web site and went to the county tax office (Downtown office) to transfer my title. About a month later I paid off my car loan and asked my lender to send me the title - they never recieved any title from this tax office. However, my lender did send me a letter confirming my car is lien free. I called the tax county (the same downtow office) and told them my story. A lady suggested that I only need the letter from the lender to issue a new copy of the title. I went to downtown office again, join other hopeless folks who had been in the line for more than an hour, and had a brutal word from one lady there - who told me to go to the public transporation (PT) office.

My new adventure started at the PT. One lady kindly helped me verify my documents and figured out that the staff at the county tax office (repeat - the "downtown" office) put the "wrong" year on my title. She told me that this could be a big issue when I sell my car in the future. So, I had to go back to the county tax office again. I really didn't want to go to the downtown office. I felt like going back to place where I was attacked, ripped off, raped, hurt ... whatever! So, I decided to go to Bellaire tax branch. Oh my..., I had to wait in the line with tons of people. I finally got thorugh it after an hour and a half!

Now, I had all documents to prove that I would live and own cars in Texas. I went to get my license at the "Dacoma" driving license office (NW Freeway). Oh my..., a staff spent almost half an hour to verify my documents and said she couldn't access my record. Her computer wasn't working. I was currious why didn't she just move that big... and asked her colleagues to access my record from other computer. So, we waited for that computer to be working again (I prayed very hard!). Finally, she gave me the number. Guess what.. I got an "81" number!

My suggestion is you go "VERY" early and pray (it's better to ask all your family members to pray for you too!) the night and morning before you go to any of these governmental offices.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,578,218 times
Goto the supper DMV 15 windows always open Gessner @ West Airport you will only wait about 90min or so better than 4 to 6 hrs at other DMVs that use to be open before the super one

Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,613 times
I went to the one in Southwest Houston, can't remember the name specifically. More important than where, it seemed the time was a better predictor. When I went at 1PM, it took me about 2 hours to be seen. When I came back at 5PM (they close at 6 some days), it took about 45 minutes.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:56 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,829,811 times
I went to the one in Richmond, which is supposedly the most "convenient" one to use if you live in Sugar Land. It took almost 4 hours to get my driver's license, standing in line the entire time. No numbering system, no chairs. Just standing.

Brilliant system (NOT!). I don't recommend that one! I think they only had daytime business hours, though, so the OP probably isn't in any danger of picking this one. Someone else might, though, so I'm posting this warning.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:35 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,854 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Topaz
went to the one in Richmond, which is supposedly the most "convenient" one to use if you live in Sugar Land. It took almost 4 hours to get my driver's license, standing in line the entire time. No numbering system, no chairs. Just standing.

Brilliant system (NOT!). I don't recommend that one! I think they only had daytime business hours, though, so the OP probably isn't in any danger of picking this one. Someone else might, though, so I'm posting this warning.
I've been going to that office for the past 25 years and it gets worse every time. The last time was this pass spring as I had to renew my license. It was on a Friday and I got there at 7:30AM as they open at 8AM. There were already about 50 folks standing in line and the doors are not even open. At around 8:05AM an officier comes out and states that if your here for a driving test ... go home, because as he stated they are booked full.

Well, I was there just for a renewal and proceeded to wait my turn. It took about 2 hours once the doors opened to get to the counter. But the sad thing is that one elderly lady passed out while waiting. No chairs nor any place for folks to sit and wait is not acceptable. With the money we pay in taxes, you'd think they could at least place benches along the wall. The next time I go, I'll be bringing my own chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston