Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:09 AM

21 posts, read 51,968 times

Advertisements

Well I talked to my neighbor (because he seemed to have real nice windows) and he recommended a company to me called Wonderful Windows. My main problems with windows has been energy loss and I am a huge disaster worrier(girlfriend is a sociology major and helped clean up Katrina so she always reminds me of the worst). Anyways, I don't know about around here but in DC I was paying around $500/mo on energy in both mid summer and mid winter.

I decided to get some Home Craftsman power pane windows and boy were they quick. Came within 24 hours for estimate and installed em this morning. They look nice but I have no idea whether it's gonna actually help my energy bill. Sales guy seemed to think it would help a ton but we will see. Anyways they look great and I'd definitely recommend em. Their website was Wonderful Windows & Siding of Houston and Dallas . Anyone else have any good recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Our home is 6 years old now. All double paned...We had 3M tinting/hurricane film installed on all the windows. Cut down on the sun/glare (and they were already tinted when installed) tremendously..and I would hope, helped during Hurricane Ike. We did have one window where the double paned seal was broken with all the wind with Ike and will eventually have to replace it, as it is starting to "fog" up with moisture.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:21 PM

21 posts, read 51,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Our home is 6 years old now. All double paned...We had 3M tinting/hurricane film installed on all the windows. Cut down on the sun/glare (and they were already tinted when installed) tremendously..and I would hope, helped during Hurricane Ike. We did have one window where the double paned seal was broken with all the wind with Ike and will eventually have to replace it, as it is starting to "fog" up with moisture.
Were they energy efficient windows? If so did they make a big difference on your heating/AC bill? Sorry, just really interested to see how much of a difference the energy efficinet ones make.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7882 View Post
Were they energy efficient windows? If so did they make a big difference on your heating/AC bill? Sorry, just really interested to see how much of a difference the energy efficinet ones make.
It was a new house at the time (us building it), so I have nothing to compare the bill to. But, the 3M tinting helped tremendously in cutting down the heat from the sun in two rooms in particular. Also saves your rugs and furniture from being sun bleached.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 PM

http://www.solarx.com/residential_services/index.html

This is the film we used....both for heat/cold and hurricane.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Let me add, if you have a low-e window, do NOT put film on it. They work against each other. Almost all new windows are low-e; the don't need film. Older windows that have no coating can be vastly helped by a film.

As an aside, if you have a window that is still under warranty (most new home windows come with a ten yr limited), if you apply a film the warranty is void.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:31 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
I wonder if my solar screens will make a difference?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:39 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I wonder if my solar screens will make a difference?
In what way?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:29 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
In what way?
Help withstanding hurricane wind force or debris.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:01 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Probably not - my neighbor's solar screen actually came off and broke the one window that broke during Ike. Same thing happened to a relative as well. We have solar's and nothing came off or broke but we also boarded up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston