Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,718 times

Advertisements

In lieu of the possible hurricane heading this way, just curious about the quality of the windows put on homes these days. Lets say no upgrades were done on the windows, what is you typical windows(glass) that is put on a home by the builders on homes say built in 2000+. How much force or wind can those windows withstand before shattering? To get a little more specific, let's say the builder was Perry. Thanks for the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
I can't speak to how shatterproof they are but my realtor told me that in 2002(?) Houston passed a new building code that all new windows had to be double paned for energy efficiency...I would think that would make them inherently stronger, but you'd have to ask an engineer. Oh wait, I AM ONE! Ok, still don't know.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM

21 posts, read 51,968 times
I would like to know the answer to this also. I recently bought a home in Katy.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
The double-paned energy efficient windows are primarily for energy efficiency. They are not designed to withstand hurricane force winds. Windows that withstand hurricane force winds are double the cost of the energy efficient double-panes used by builders. You would have had to ask and pay extra for such windows. Simenton or Simonten (not sure of spelling) does make some great hurricane windows which are actually approved by Dade County, FL (which initiated some of the most stringent bldg. codes in the country after Andrew and another destroyed much of South Florida). I researched this issue after Ike - and came up with this info. Either buy these hurricane force windows, rolling shutters -- both pricey options but if you plan to stay in your home long-term might be a good investment.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Its not usually the wind that gets ya, its the tree that the wind threw into your house.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
or the crap your neighbor carelessly leaves loose in his or her yard that flies into one of your windows while they've boarded up and evacuated.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:38 AM

21 posts, read 51,968 times
Ok, that's good to know because windows seems like something that my community was slacking on. Mine are single paned and look terrible. I think I'm going to do some more research and let you know what I find.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
there are some window films you can have put on (cant think of the name off hand) that actually make them strong enough to withstand a 2x4 at 160 mph from passing through the glass. it will still break the glass but the film hold the glass inside and the 2x4 outside.

i need to find the name, my wifes company is supposed to be getting a distributorship of them. i actually saw them on the show "time warp" on discovery channel, and my wife said "hey those are the windows we are going to start selling.

ok found it (had to call her)
www.armorcoatfilms.com

Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Those window films are damn expensive. The 3M brand is something like $16 per sq ft and that is just for the cost of the material, not labor. If you have over a dozen windows that are 6' high or taller, I can see this quickly adding up to 5 digits, and that's keeping your crappy old windows.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
There are three levels of windows made for standard new construction. The first is a normal window. It can withstand normal wind & rain, and can probably hold up reasonably well in stronger winds, but has no resistance to wind blown objects. And if the wind is strong enough, you can get wind-blown rain thru the window.

The next is called a "windstorm" window. It's pretty much the same as a std window, but it is made to better resist wind-blown rain & water.

The third level is an impact-resistant window. The glass in an impact-resistant window is made to withstand wind-blown items up to a certain speed. Maybe 110MPH? Not sure.

In Texas, all windows are double paned. That is for energy, not winds. They are almost all low-e, again for energy conservation.

Standard windows can be used in most of the state. The Windstorm level windows are required along areas close to the coast. And impact windows are required along the coast. Here is a *very* rough example: Impact would be required in Galveston. Windstorm in League City. Standard in Woodlands.

This is not gospel, and your builder, inspector, designer, etc will know the details. But this should give you a good overview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston