Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 AM

64 posts, read 347,498 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
First I have to say that my prayers are with all of you and your famalies. I have fallen in love with Houston(never been there, but we have "dated" over the internet for a month or so ), and was devastated when I heard the hurricane was headed that way.
At any rate, my husband and I planned a trip to visit a few months ago, and we are due to arrive on Sunday! My husband planned to look for a job, and I wanted to check out the neighborhoods, specifically Sugar Land.
I am not sure what to do now since there are mixed posts concerning the conditions there. I'm guessing it's not a good time to look for jobs and that the morale there is pretty low right now. Should we just come and fly into Dallas(second on our list of places to relocate) and check out jobs etc. there instead?
This hurricane has left me nervous, all of my family(all from Chicago) think that we should can the moving to Houston idea for good. But I much PREFER moving there instead of Dallas, but either one would be better than Chicago(no way are we going to stay here). Houstonians, help me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStrom View Post
Hi all,
First I have to say that my prayers are with all of you and your famalies. I have fallen in love with Houston(never been there, but we have "dated" over the internet for a month or so ), and was devastated when I heard the hurricane was headed that way.
At any rate, my husband and I planned a trip to visit a few months ago, and we are due to arrive on Sunday! My husband planned to look for a job, and I wanted to check out the neighborhoods, specifically Sugar Land.
I am not sure what to do now since there are mixed posts concerning the conditions there. I'm guessing it's not a good time to look for jobs and that the morale there is pretty low right now. Should we just come and fly into Dallas(second on our list of places to relocate) and check out jobs etc. there instead?
This hurricane has left me nervous, all of my family(all from Chicago) think that we should can the moving to Houston idea for good. But I much PREFER moving there instead of Dallas, but either one would be better than Chicago(no way are we going to stay here). Houstonians, help me out!
Houston is a beautiful and vibrant place ( and Sugar Land is big enough to have good and bad places. Just move to a good area and you will be fine) You may want to give it a month or so before trying to come here if you don't already have a job. We took a hard hit but will be back to "business as usual" before you know it. This is the 1st hard hit Houston has taken in a very long time. Its sort of like tornados in Chicago. Its possible to have a very bad one there but not something that you worry constantly!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Houston is a beautiful and vibrant place ( and Sugar Land is big enough to have good and bad places. Just move to a good area and you will be fine) You may want to give it a month or so before trying to come here if you don't already have a job. We took a hard hit but will be back to "business as usual" before you know it. This is the 1st hard hit Houston has taken in a very long time. Its sort of like tornados in Chicago. Its possible to have a very bad one there but not something that you worry constantly!
Thanks for the advice VaCat,
What are good areas in Sugar Land?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:08 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStrom View Post
Thanks for the advice VaCat,
What are good areas in Sugar Land?
First Colony, New Territory, Telfair, Sugar Creek - I'm probably missing some so others can suggest additional ones.

I wouldn't say morale is bad in Houston right now - I think Houstonians are rising to this challenge in a big way.

And I wouldn't let a hurricane keep you from moving to Sugar Land - it is a great place to live. Hopefully we won't have another one this bad for another 25 years.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:10 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,152 times
I think they are building some New Urbanist style things near the old Imperial Sugar plant... have you found anything like that?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Exclamation Dallas? No thanks

Don't listen to those telling you to not come to Houston because of this. This was the first major hurricane since 1983. Not like it happens every year. And even so, most of Houston is fine aside from downed trees, some isolated flooding and lack of electricity. Moral is actually good.

Galveston had major damage but will recover. There's a lot of money in Galveston (people with second homes) and it's such a special place. There are Victorian homes there that made it through the 1900 storm. They are still there now.

Don't go to Dallas because of this. If you love Houston, you will be unhappy in Dallas. Dallas is a treeless prairie compared to Houston. The suburbs are sterile and boring. And no beach nearby. The people are different too. Houston is more laid-back, yet still has every big-city amenity (and then some) as Dallas. And don't think Dallas doesn't have as much (or even more) extreme weather as Houston. It does. It's just that hurricanes make the national news more.

Sugar Land is a great place to live. There's a reason it was recently rated the #3 best place in the US to live. Most of Sugar Land is fine except for some downed trees that are being cleaned up this week.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-15-2008 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: This is NOT a Dallas vs. Houston thread... or a Houston vs. Dallas thread... nor will be allowed to be turned into one!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanks everyone, what I really want to know is if we should cancel our trip or come on down this Sunday? We planned to stay for about 2 weeks.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
First Colony, New Territory, Telfair, Sugar Creek - I'm probably missing some so others can suggest additional ones.

I wouldn't say morale is bad in Houston right now - I think Houstonians are rising to this challenge in a big way.

And I wouldn't let a hurricane keep you from moving to Sugar Land - it is a great place to live. Hopefully we won't have another one this bad for another 25 years.
Thanks Topaz, you have been so helpful

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,920 times
It'll take some time for houston to get back up and running.
Everyone is working hard to help each other in these trying times.

Unlike other cities, we're not just going to complain, we go out there and try to make it right.

We'll be aight.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 AM

99 posts, read 180,293 times
I think if you want to go to Houston then definitely move to Houston. I grew up there and have been in Dallas for the past 11 years. We were supposed to be moving back down to Houston last weekend but will now probably head down this weekend. We are moving to Sugarland as well and I am so excited about moving back. Houston is a great city, the people are awesome. The only thing Dallas has that I wish Houston did was a train system bc the traffic in Houston is no fun. But the other things are so great that I am willing to give that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston