Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I love getting on the highway, it takes no time at all during nonrush hours to get where I need to go.

You can't just start laying rail and expect people to ride it. How do those people get to the rail stop? How do they get to their destination once they get off the rail?

Houston is planning rail appropriately. I agree we need our inner city light rail sooner rather than later. We could put our money where our mouth is and create a bond or increase taxes.
Your in the minority of people who do. The ridership numbers alone for the red line is definatly a sign that people will ride rail. If you get lines connected to all the employment centers, and universitiess. We are set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Your in the minority of people who do. The ridership numbers alone for the red line is definatly a sign that people will ride rail. If you get lines connected to all the employment centers, and universitiess. We are set.
I think you are overestimating rail in Houston. I had the pleasure of spending several months in NYC and London and relying mostly on public transit. Public transit is great but its convenience and commute times aren't are suspect. In London, I would have to walk 10 minutes to Victoria Station, wait for the train, spend about 20 minutes going 10 miles, get off the train, catch a 10 minute bus ride only to walk another 5 minutes to get to the front door of my employer. In London it took about 40 minutes to go 15 miles.

I'm in complete favor of inner city rail and commuter rail, but it seems many people are under the impression that rail in Houston will offer them door to door service like their cars. Do you think many people would walk in Houston heat in business attire to get to a bus stop, rail stop, or office? Do you think people will mind commutes involving multiple transfers instead of taking any number of routes in their car? Houston will need to gradually build its rail and gradually make improvements to connect residential areas to rail and bus.

Houston needs to build its rail appropriately for a decentralized, car-based city and shouldn't try and use rail to turn Houston into some kind of urban paradise.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:43 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You need to start paying attention to ridership numbers instead of whether or not a city has rail. Who cares if Albuquerque, NM has a commuter line. Having commuter rail doesn't make you trendy, especially if it was poorly planned. Compare Houston's single 7 mile line to Dallas's, ATL's, and Denver's rail and you will see the difference in having effective rail.
The only reason Albuquerque needs commuter rail is because Santa Fe is underdeveloped. The closest major airport is Albuquerque's Sun Port. Housing is expensive due to the supply and demand; it is very hilly compared to more affordable (and flatter) Albuquerque down the highway.

But Houston needs a commuter rail system. It would've helped this summer with the high gas prices. Let other cities pay for the expensive gas instead of redistributing it around Houston and where ever the big oil headquarters/executive offices are (such as Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, etc. It's strange that the largest companies in the energy industry aren't based in Houston. Missing quality of life/amenities?).

Quote:
I love getting on the highway, it takes no time at all during nonrush hours to get where I need to go.
I don't want Houston to end up like L.A. It's nice to get stuck on the venerable freeways in beautiful Southern California sunshine while on vacation but living there with it, the novelty fades eventually.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:16 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
I agree with most of what you say. Thinking or hoping Houston's transit will become like NYC, London, Shanghai, etc. unrealistic. Houston was built for the car, plain and simple. Houston could be considered to have a world class highway system. Our highway system isn't complicated, quite the opposite with highways radiating out from the central core out to the suburbs connected two loops. Just look at a map of Houston compared to other cities. Furthermore, our HOV lanes carry around 300,000 carpoolers, private riders, park&riders, and solo people breaking the law into our largest employment centers.

Houston needs a mass transit system that provides a viable option instead of driving/commuting not a last resort. I wouldn't want to give up the convenience of my car, but would like an alternative to commuting alone.
I agree. As much as I love the rail. I also like to have a car to go grocery shopping, or clothes shopping, or to enjoy a joy ride from time to time. I wouldn't use the car that much. But I would use it. Rail is great to have especially when are out on the town at night. No need for designated drivers when you have rail. So they both have their advantages.

IMO, I think with the city/area it's size, Houston needs heavy rail and I'm not talking about the commuter rail either. I'm talking about the system in Washington DC, Atlanta, or even New York. Light rail is ok but it seems like it's half doing it. Cities with 5 million or more people need a system with a large capacity. San Francisco has both. Houston can as well. Density is key and I think Houston can build that especially inside the loop.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Once you see a shift away from oil dependence, it will be in trouble.
Well in 100 years or so, my decendents will use a teleporter or the Mr. Fusion powered hover car to go wherever they want, not some train.

By the way, what do you think is used to create all the power that the electric trains run on? It's not pixie dust.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:43 PM

343 posts, read 942,626 times
Well here is the current up to date map of the rails and commuter rail from metro's site. As to when it will be started or complete is anyones guess.

http://metrosolutions.org/posted/1068/ms_phase2_plan_map.216954.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-22-2008, 12:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Was not the new building of the 40-50 mile rail project supposed to start this past June, that would be completed in 3-4 years???

Has it not got off the ground yet?

Old 11-22-2008, 12:52 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
I believe Houston used to have like 90 miles of public transportation, until public transportation was bought up in favor of cars. Well, more than likely when Houston ever gets decent public transportation, I will not be in this city to enjoy it.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Houston's economy is good cause of the oil industry. Once you see a shift away from oil dependence, it will be in trouble. If Obama invests in solar, wind, and nuclear, it could spell big problems for Houston.
Boy are you misinformed & a bit behind. GRB has plans to transform its roof into green space & solar energy. Contrary to most people's beliefs, Houston's economy is no longer dependent on oil. We learned that lesson back in the 80's.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:42 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,690 times
Get it done and the people will use it. IMO Depending on a car for everything is a sign of laziness. Get out and explore and enjoy life not by being in a car everywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: