Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:06 PM

469 posts, read 1,451,833 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else just SICK of the constant heat and humidity here?
I feel like I can't breathe when I go outside. When my daughter goes out to play, she comes in with a very red face and mosquito bites on her arms and legs (after I have sprayed her down with Off.)
It would be somewhat tolerable if it didn't last all the way through October!
Sorry everyone, just needed to vent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:00 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I eat heat and humidity for breakfast.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Is anyone else just SICK of the constant heat and humidity here?
I feel like I can't breathe when I go outside. When my daughter goes out to play, she comes in with a very red face and mosquito bites on her arms and legs (after I have sprayed her down with Off.)
It would be somewhat tolerable if it didn't last all the way through October!
Sorry everyone, just needed to vent!
Where are you? We haven't been bitten by mosquitoes at all yet. I have on my "To Do" list to research the best product to buy for children (Avon?).

My children still like playing outside. Since this is our first year here, I keep wondering how much hotter it will feel in July and August. On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of heat index (accounting for both temperature and humidity), where are we now? And what will it be in July and August?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:18 PM

There might be standing water around the OP's property or something like that. The mosquitoes have not been as bad as usual, in part because we haven't been getting rained on every other day.

Today was very humid during the day, but mostly lately we've had moderate (50-60%) humidity during the hottest part of the day, then the humidity spikes after sunset and stays high (80-100%) until the air temperature cools below the dewpoint.

Just think - people used to live here before there was air conditioning...

Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,451,833 times
I am in Katy, and the mosquitoes here have been terrible!
August is usually the really hot month. It does not start to cool down until November.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:59 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
I am in Katy, and the mosquitoes here have been terrible!
August is usually the really hot month. It does not start to cool down until November.
Stephanie, try putting some clear baby oil on your children frequently. I know it's greasy, but they can shower it off after a couple hours. A bit of it somehow stays with you and it's a mosquito deterrent.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,750 times
No skeeters around here. Too dry.

Quote:
On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of heat index (accounting for both temperature and humidity), where are we now? And what will it be in July and August?
On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say today (high of 97?) was maybe a 8 or 9. July and August? HOTTER. I think most of us would say August is normally the hottest month here. All my electric bills reflect that. Day-time temperatures in the 100's can last into late September. All those who were trying to get out of town (or not) before Rita will probably vouch for that as a couple of days that particular week were 100 degrees and higher here in town.

Used to be that October was my favorite month here as we would get cooled down some and have mild days and beautiful nights but now even October seems all hot all the time. I some times think about getting a summer place somewhere up north but even they are experiencing hot summers. 117 degrees in Pierre, South Dakota a couple of summers ago plus they have skeeters too. There's no escape folks.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Today's high was 98 and the humidity was about 40%. This is not at all unheard of, it's not that humid, and it's not really going to make the news. My advice? Deal with it or move!!!!!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
This ain't nothing.

Get a mosquito system. Buy some Off. Save your moaning for when the real heat kicks in next month.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
My advice? Deal with it!!!!!
Or move. Not that we have the monopoly on either heat or humidity for that matter...

Get out in it more, resist the urge to sit in AC all day and you'll get used to it. Apparently your kids can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston