Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 64,994 times

Advertisements

Any fellow health minded pep's living in and around The Woodlands area?? I don't know about you but I am aching for a more "whole foods" minded grocery to frequent!

I don't want to eat GMO's, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrogonated Oils, food-like products, strange and unpronouncable ingredients! I want healthier options. Here is what I did to change my predicament...

Reach out to both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Tell them how you feel. Go to the websites below and submit location requests!

Visit:
Whole Foods Market: Natural and Organic Grocery (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/company/contact_submit.php - broken link)
Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Contact Us:Location Requests (http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx - broken link)

We can't wait for them to come to us. We can all go to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindaclumsy View Post
Any fellow health minded pep's living in and around The Woodlands area?? I don't know about you but I am aching for a more "whole foods" minded grocery to frequent!

I don't want to eat GMO's, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrogonated Oils, food-like products, strange and unpronouncable ingredients! I want healthier options. Here is what I did to change my predicament...

Reach out to both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Tell them how you feel. Go to the websites below and submit location requests!

Visit:
Whole Foods Market: Natural and Organic Grocery (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/company/contact_submit.php - broken link)
Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store - Contact Us:Location Requests (http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx - broken link)

Why dosen't Texas have a Trader's Joe??? I think they took those "fattest cities" list seriously because Chicago or New York city don't have one neither.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Maybe these stores do not feel that The Woodlands does not have a large enough upper income bracket, nor large percentage of physical fitness junkies that the inner loop possesses. Additionally, they are building another Whole Foods at Waugh and Dallas, 3 or so miles from the Whole Foods on Upper Kirby. It appears that Whole Foods concentrates on urban centers although the West Side has a Whole Foods I have heard. Maybe in due time, The Woodlands will get one.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Maybe these stores do not feel that The Woodlands does not have a large enough upper income bracket, nor large percentage of physical fitness junkies that the inner loop possesses. Additionally, they are building another Whole Foods at Waugh and Dallas, 3 or so miles from the Whole Foods on Upper Kirby. It appears that Whole Foods concentrates on urban centers although the West Side has a Whole Foods I have heard. Maybe in due time, The Woodlands will get one.
funny guy.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
The demographics aren't right for a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's to do well. Especially in this economy.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,439,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
The demographics aren't right for a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's to do well. Especially in this economy.
In The Woodlands, I can see your point. But Trader Joe's would clean up inside the loop or in Memorial. Like H&M, it has reached near-cult status among those who follow retail. All I can guess is that they feel more comfortable in the markets they are in, and aren't ready to branch out to an known city, let alone another state with its own rules and regulations.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:13 PM

734 posts, read 1,081,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindaclumsy View Post

Visit:

Your just another woodland's resident looking to burn some money. And besides your jealous that Sugar Land got a brand new Whole Foods grocery store and the Woodland's didnt

Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Why dosen't Texas have a Trader's Joe??? I think they took those "fattest cities" list seriously because Chicago or New York city don't have one neither.
Not true. Plenty Trader Joe's in Chicago area. Demographics of Arlington Heights seem similar to TW's and we have a Trader Joes.
I looked on Trader Joe's website and it looks like a distribution problem. Nothing in the central part of the country. No Aldi's in Texas either and I believe they are same parent company and share distribution. Looks like they are expanding east from CA and AZ so perhaps in a couple of years they will come. Between DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio they should have excellent demographics to build a warehouse that can centrally serve all these cities.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Not true. Plenty Trader Joe's in Chicago area. Demographics of Arlington Heights seem similar to TW's and we have a Trader Joes.
I looked on Trader Joe's website and it looks like a distribution problem. Nothing in the central part of the country. No Aldi's in Texas either and I believe they are same parent company and share distribution. Looks like they are expanding east from CA and AZ so perhaps in a couple of years they will come. Between DFW, Houston, Austin and San Antonio they should have excellent demographics to build a warehouse that can centrally serve all these cities.
I think someone mentioned on here or a similar message board that shall remain nameless... ahem... a while back that they had plans to open an Aldi's or build a distribution center in DFW. I don't know if it ever happened...

Edit: I used my Google-fu, and there's talk of a distribution center in Denton or the Oak Cliff section of Dallas, with stores opening in Dallas next year. Either way, it sounds like a definite possibility. Hopefully Trader Joe's is soon to follow!

I wonder where in Texas they would open a Trader Joe's first, though? Whichever city has the fewest Whole Foods?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
In The Woodlands, I can see your point. But Trader Joe's would clean up inside the loop or in Memorial. Like H&M, it has reached near-cult status among those who follow retail. All I can guess is that they feel more comfortable in the markets they are in, and aren't ready to branch out to an known city, let alone another state with its own rules and regulations.
Yeah, I meant The Woodlands. West Houston has a Whole Foods and that's direct competition for the Memorial Area. Also the new one that's going in on Post Oak. But some kind of specialty would do well in the new CityCentre.

ITL you have a Whole Foods and a Central Market.

PS- What is H&M?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston