Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 PM

6 posts, read 26,212 times

Advertisements

I'm inside Houston, and have a very weak HOA (the HOA fees are voluntary). I have never heard of a CEO. I know we don't have zones. Where would I look to find this guy?

I am going to do the survey to make sure the fence is on the line. If it's mine, no problem, down it goes. If it's hers, no problem, and my fences goes up, NOT QUITE touching the line. I figure a documented one inch clearance with photos and surveyor's stakes, as well as a permissive use letter to keep that one inch mine should do it.

I'll be calling out an arborist sometime. I don't think I need more than to take some pictures. This tree has dropped at least a half dozen branches over 10 inches in diameter onto my property, already. You can still see the broken stumps sticking out of the trunk. I'm sure insects either have or will invade through these stump-holes. It is only a matter of time.

I really try to get along with my neighbors, but I guess what really bothers me here is that I have offered a new, free fence, AND to take down a very expensive to remove tree... to a blank stare and abject refusal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,257,783 times
[quote=Wineaux;6625253]I'm inside Houston, and have a very weak HOA (the HOA fees are voluntary). I have never heard of a CEO. I know we don't have zones. Where would I look to find this guy?[quote]

Call 311. The CEO is a city employee and has little to do with the HOA though they will enforce deed restrictions. I am not as positive about involving a CEO as this issue does not really call for it. Houston does not really have any codes for fences or trees, unless they fall under the nuisance rules and it does not from your description. Never hurts to try though.

Make sure that when the surveyor comes that you have some steel or copper pipes cut to short lengths and drive them in along the property line. This will allow you to keep track of the line when away from the corner pins.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:40 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,537,804 times
really bothers me here is that I have offered a new, free fence

That happened to me too and I ended up putting up a wood fence right inside the chain-link fence about 15 years ago. When Ike blew down the wood fence, I still had the chain-link fence to contain my dog. I had a new wood fence put up, again right inside the chain-link fence, shortly thereafter -- but it really made me appreciate the security of having two fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: