Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:22 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Advertisements

I agree with EStudent that Houston's gems would probably get better recognition if we had a better transit system and everything wasnt so spread out. The way this city was built will make it to where you will never see a NYC type atmosphere.

The best thing to do is work with what we can do (like we have been doing). Continue developing inside the loop, downtown (Pavilions, MainPlace Discovery Tower, Discovery Green Park), Midtown, adding lightrail, Uptown Galleria developments like BLVD Place, Highland Village/High Street nearby by West Ave, and Medical Center/ Rice Village areas.

All these areas create large urban clusters around the city to where the city feels like several different places. It almost feels like a place where you can escape to many different getaways. Once the lightrail plans are finished, this place will be even more awesome!

Let NYC stay NYC and let Houston be the "new" best thing!!!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:21 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
houston promoters dont really know anything but do feel superior because theyre 'inside the loop' the absolute peak of coolness in Houston. anyone who is not impressed with 'that' is trolling, boring, jaded .
How observant of you. Aww, yeah, well I mean... I must say anything would beat the hell out of staying in Alief. I'd probably rather, well..die, but if I lived there, I probably would die anyway, so I guess it's a lose-lose situation.

Funny though, jfre and Topaz and a lot of others seem to have a whirl of a time.

In any case, an update on superiority--it's feeling really awesome right now.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsitlity View Post
I live in New York and I been planning to move to Houston for a cheaper way of life. The Big City is to much for me and I can't take it anymore. When I tell people I considering moving to Houston they freak. A lot of people say Houston is awful. They say the place has no culture, it's extremely Ugly, flat, hot, humid, and dumb. They also say that the place has no nite life. I was considering moving there, but after what I heard I am not sure. Are these things about Houston true?

places I've been considering were also:

Seattle
San Diego
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Antonio
El Paso
Your quality of life will be head and shoulders in Houston above that of New York simply because you will be able to afford more.

Flat? Yes, but the abundance of trees will make up for that.
Hot and humid? Yes.
Boring? I sincerely doubt that since Houston is a tremendously large city with all of the amenities that New York has, just on a lesser scale.
No culture? Hardly. Culture abounds in Houston.
Dumb? That doesn't even deserve a response.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:01 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiDaryl View Post
I have quite a few acquaintences who love living in San Diego... They love San Francisco too But thats way more expensive.
I think you should join your aquaintences out there in SD. By the way, having lived in SD before I came here, the intellectual and liberal climate is not as good as here, so don't believe that just because after SD is "California that it is A) intellectual and B) liberal.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:19 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
The truth is.. it depends on your personality level/political level/life plan on if you think Houston is all that cultured or not..

Are there tons of suburban Mom things to do? Yes.
Are there tons of pretentious, richie, rich, fake society things to do? Yes.
Are there little places where conservative families and people all gather together to celebrate their conservativeness? Yes.

But are there a lot of educated, outspoken, fun, affluent LIBERALS in Houston.. NO.

There's no real progressive generation in Houston. It's not there.

You've got partying heathens...

But not a whole big group of progressive, liberal types..

You can't go into a restaurant and discuss green living, Deism, Democratic Party (positively), and anti-establishment sort of things.. without feelings like you've got the many hands of Young and Osteen and Bush judging you

Houston is GREAT for a pretentious, cut loose on the weekends in the Saab convertible, conservative

And great for soccer moms.

Do Seattle, Portland, or San Diego if you have any thread of liberal in you.

Saab convertibles are so 1980s.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:07 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
Quote:
Do Seattle, Portland, or San Diego if you have any thread of liberal in you.
I have more than a thread of liberalism in me and I'd rather live in Houston than Seattle or Portland. We lived there for almost 10 years and we prefer it here. I don't know where you hang out, but I think there are a lot more progressive people in Houston than you realize. Some of us are even out here in the suburbs and our children play soccer...stereotype away!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
How observant of you. Aww, yeah, well I mean... I must say anything would beat the hell out of staying in Alief. I'd probably rather, well..die, but if I lived there, I probably would die anyway, so I guess it's a lose-lose situation.

Funny though, jfre and Topaz and a lot of others seem to have a whirl of a time.

In any case, an update on superiority--it's feeling really awesome right now.
well thank you for staying away. feel free to bash Houston's suburbs especially in threads like these

Old 12-19-2008, 09:24 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Your quality of life will be head and shoulders in Houston above that of New York simply because you will be able to afford more.

Flat? Yes, but the abundance of trees will make up for that
Don't forget the beautiful highways so you can get nice views of the amazing skylines!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Don't forget the beautiful highways so you can get nice views of the amazing skylines!
HAHAHA now i have an idea what you mean when you say you see a lot of *beautiful* people and *have fun* in midtown

Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
HAHAHA now i have an idea what you mean when you say you see a lot of *beautiful* people and *have fun* in midtown
LOL thats cruel but hilarous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston