Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM

421 posts, read 1,727,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Hey MPM, did you know Texas A&M has a satellite campus in The Woodlands? You might be able to get your junior/senior hours complete there. I think it depends on how far along you are. It's a good program though--my sister did her degree through Sam Houston State there.

LSC-University Center
Thanks, I will contact them on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
I was about to mention the online classes but you beat me to it.. I completed high school through their online program.. (not GED actual diploma - long story). It was a good program.. I think UT would be better to get into med school/resumes..
Everyone, even those in other states, suggests UT. hmmm.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I really feel as though I am missing something big...

If you are working and have a family, I'm having a hard time seeing how going to all this trouble for a diploma in a burnt orange or maroon frame (rather than a red one) is going to be worth it.

You must have misread my post, because I do not work. I might work a part time job over the summer or holiday breaks if I have time, but I don't work at the current time and I hope not too until after I have completed my education.

If your dream is medical school, you need to be carrying at least a 3.7 GPA and probably 4.0, you should NOT feel like you don't need to study that much and if you have free time it should be spent volunteering as an analyst in clinical research (you have taken statistics, right? Review boards like to see a research background and a full schedulet). If you've been coasting, they aren't going to care whether or not you went to A&M or UT. You need to really pour yourself into this 100% if you expect to get anything out of it, otherwise you're probably going to find this has been a monumental waste of time.

I have a GPA above 3.75 and I do not need to study. When I encounter a class that requires me to study I will, but until then I do what I need to do to maintain my grades. If I "felt" the need to study I would. And for what it is worth Spring semester I am ONLY taking 16 hours. Every other semester I have completed 18 to 21 hours. Perhaps I have loafed all along and did not realize the error of my ways.

Most students take over 4 years including summer school to complete the Nutrition ADA track with premed requirements. I am scheduled to complete the program in exactly 4 years. I can't imagine my schedule any fuller than what it is.

I am well aware of the minimum 100 practical hours required for med school entry. Even if I were to commute I am available on Monday & Fridays during the school year and Monday - Friday in the Summer. I will have well over 100 hours to log on my applications.

A student who can complete a 5 year program in 4 years with a toddler a husband, and a GPA over 3.75, and who worked full time for the first 1 1/2 years of her education and has additional practical hours will impress at least 1 review board, but perhaps I am wrong

Not everyone has to spend all of their spare time studying to earn above average grades.

I am not concerned with burnt orange, or maroon flame, but the school that has the BEST academic reputation and networking possibilities. I would consider Rice University if the school offered my major.

But I guess that attending a better school and creating connections will be of little benefit?

Thanks for the advice, but I have done my research. Moving to Houston was an unexpected bend in the road. I need to have more than one option and do what will benefit my family not just today, but tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Sounds like you've got it all figured out, then.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Sounds like you've got it all figured out, then.
I have most of it figured out, there are a few details that I must attend. I completed 120 hours in a Cardiology practice before I moved to Houston, now I need to find a different type of practice here. I plan on mailing letters to to doctors whose practices appeal to me over the next few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston