Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 PM

490 posts, read 1,433,786 times

Advertisements

First Colony seems to have it all....good location, good schools, near alot of restaurants, shopping, etc... Is it to good to be true???

I know there are many subdivisions in First Colony. Can anyone point me in the direction of some that would fit in the range of $250,000 - $300,000. I know there are several but I guess do not have the HAR.com search down yet!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 09:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
You won't find much (if any) newer construction, many homes in that price range are not that big, and the prices are a little elevated compared to many other areas of other Houston suburbs for the same kind of house. This is because as you said - good location, excellent schools, and aesthetics (zoning and building restrictions make the area look nicer).

To do a search, you could go on har.com and do a map search. Draw the poly around the subdivisions surrounding First Colony Mall, and there you go. We looked around there some, but could not find anything much below $350k for the size of house we needed. We used to technically live in First Colony, but it was one little subdivision that was the exception to the rule (zoned to schools across a major road in a blah area of Missouri City). This was a complete exception to the rule and a major screw-up on FBISD's part. So we moved to another part of Fort Bend. HTH

Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,708 times
Here are a few good ones near everything.

2007 Oakhurst Pkwy, Sugar Lamd, TX 77479
2011 Shorewood, Sugar Land, TX 77479
16807 Rustic Colony Dr, Sugar Land, TX 77479
16835 Rustic Colony Dr, Sugar Land, TX 77479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
First Colony seems to have it all....good location, good schools, near alot of restaurants, shopping, etc... Is it to good to be true???

I know there are many subdivisions in First Colony. Can anyone point me in the direction of some that would fit in the range of $250,000 - $300,000. I know there are several but I guess do not have the HAR.com search down yet!

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Thank You! We just started looking so I am sure I have alot more research to do. There are definately other areas we like, but right now First Colony is at the top.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:35 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,056 times
We tried hard to find a house in First Colony for under 350K but the good ones were getting snatched up too fast last summer when we were relocated here. We ended up in Katy because we could buy a bigger, newer house for the same price and the schools were rated just as well. I guess we sacrificed a little bit of commute time, but given the traffic on 59 and at 610 I'm not so sure it would've really been any faster.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM

What are some good subdivisions to look at other than First Colony that are similar...that are not next to the prison and trains?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 AM

759 posts, read 3,183,708 times
Sugar Creek and Sugar Lakes older but still nice.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
What are some good subdivisions to look at other than First Colony that are similar...that are not next to the prison and trains?
I complain about the train but we love living in New Territory. If you buy a house anywhere but the northern edge of New Territory where the tracks are, the train isn't much of an issue.

The prison is going away so it isn't really an important variable. We live really, really close to it and I didn't even realize it was there until several months after we moved in (we rented a house prior to buying so we didn't care about doing research).

New Territory is zoned to good schools and their club house and amenities are very nice. The parks and trails are well-maintained, too, which isn't always the case in other Houston area suburbs.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:24 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,190 times
Wow, I'm surprised that some are saying that you can't find a nice decent size(2500+) home in First Colony for < $350,000? Ya'll must not be looking hardly at all. Let's see, search Plantation Trails, Oyster Creek plantation, The Enclave, Magnolia Plantation, Plantation Bend, Heritage Park Plantation Colony, Lake Colony, Englewood Estates and the list goes on.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:31 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,220 times
Look around the honor roll school and Clements HIgh school(down sweetwater corridor) and you should find a decent sized house; their not going to be new or as large as you like but they are close to the mall; movie theater; town-center; highway 6. You should wait until the summer to find some good houses that will be for sale; a few good subdivisions to look into...

Colony Meadows
Woodstream(tend to be older houses)
Alcorn Bend
Alcorn Boyou
Commonwealth
Down elkins drive;
Behind the kroger

You should venture far into Avalon because your probably not going to find a house in your price-range out there.

Honestly; your not going to get a brand new house in First Colony; your going to probably get the 15 year old houses, with the detached garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston