Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 AM

490 posts, read 1,434,260 times

Advertisements

Hello again! After reading some old posts this is what I am getting about Sienna...please fill me in on any correct/incorrect info or anything I am missing that is important.

Cons:
In Missouri City (which some people consider a negative)
In the middle of nowhere
Difficulty getting in and out of the community and around town
Hightower HS (but should be getting new HS in 2010)

Pros:
Nice large homes that are not $$$$$$
Good elementary schools and middle school
Great community amenities
Getting new HS
Getting new HEB
Road expansions have helped with getting around

Is this info correct? Any other pros/cons?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josci View Post
Hello again! After reading some old posts this is what I am getting about Sienna...please fill me in on any correct/incorrect info or anything I am missing that is important.

Cons:
In Missouri City (which some people consider a negative)
In the middle of nowhere
Difficulty getting in and out of the community and around town
Hightower HS (but should be getting new HS in 2010)

Pros:
Nice large homes that are not $$$$$$
Good elementary schools and middle school
Great community amenities
Getting new HS
Getting new HEB
Road expansions have helped with getting around

Is this info correct? Any other pros/cons?

Thanks!
That is about it. Traffic can be pretty bad when leaving out the community, but I usually take the back roads (I usually exit off the Watts Plantation RD and it is a straight shot to HWY 6). Missouri City really isn't as bad as people say, you just have to stay away from certain areas. When that HEB open up, it is going to be major traffic in that area and it is going to be really hard to get out, because traffic only gets bad at the entrance to SP, after that it flows easily. Also there is a train that runs through the area, but the noise isn't bad. The tracks are located right behind my friend's house with only a fence seperating it from their backyard.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM

103 posts, read 438,096 times
Hightower HS (but should be getting new HS in 2010) - We are zoned to Elkins as well. Right now, if you are to the right of Sienna Parkway you are zoned to Elkins, which is supposed to be the "better" high school. Because of the whole Hightower being the lesser of the two high schools, the left side has some great deals on homes! I've heard people moving from one part of Sienna to the other because of the high school they were zoned to. However, Hightower does have the Medical Academy, which I hear is awesome for those students really interested in the medical field. The new high school is definitely a plus for us; we really wanted it in within, but that's not until about a couple years from now.

Another Pro- it's beautiful out here. Still haven't seen a community like it in Houston.

Another Con - There are no good restaurants around here. Have to go to Sugar Land or Pearland (and there's only a few there).

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

490 posts, read 1,434,260 times
Will the new highschool serve all of Sienna Plantation? Or will some kids still attend Hightower and Elkins?

Also, what is the average time it takes to build a new home there?

This board has the nicest and most helpful people...and maybe my future neighbors!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM

103 posts, read 438,096 times
Will the new highschool serve all of Sienna Plantation? Or will some kids still attend Hightower and Elkins? All will go to the new high school here in Sienna.
Also, what is the average time it takes to build a new home there? Depends on the builder. From my knowledge Plantation and Perry are 3 mos. and Coventry, Trendmaker, Newmark, Highland are about 6. This is an awesome time to buy! I'm seeing houses for sale with the nice plantation shutters included! And who knows what other perks they're throwing in. Makes me jealous!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 PM

35 posts, read 170,711 times
I just moved from Los Angeles to Sienna and I LOVE IT. Everytime people come over they are literally shocked at how gorgeous it is. Not much restraunts around BUT they are doing tons of construction so we should have alot of great things coming in the next 1-2 years

Old 09-21-2009, 12:41 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Don't know if you're still looking at SP (or have already bought) but I was told today that there are plans to extend FB Tollway THRU Sienna Plantation. So while that will create paths of egress in/out of SP, it will also create some traffic noise. I would HATE to buy there and then find out that the Tollway is going to be within earshot of my property. Will take some extra homework to make sure not buying in an area that will be in the Tollway's path.

The new HEB & Kroger are great. They make me happy, LOL. Our new eye doctor is on Hwy 6/SP Parkway - best one I've been to in the 30+ yrs that I've been going to eye docs. Really enjoy La Escondida restaurant where we are now regulars - good basic TexMex if you want and fancier dishes if you prefer. Our church broke ground there this morning...so while we don't live in SP, it's on our radar because of everything it offers us.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
cons: too much for sale currently. Not much is moving. It will take years to get your money out if you buy new. IMO
over 120 properties listed for sale with only 11 pending, yikes!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
cons: too much for sale currently. Not much is moving. It will take years to get your money out if you buy new. IMO
over 120 properties listed for sale with only 11 pending, yikes!
I currenlty live in Sienna and I want to move to a condo inside the loop but can't since the value of the house has not appraised since I bought it 3 years ago. If you plan on being here for a while go ahead and buy but if not I would advise against it.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Name an area in Houston that appraises higher today than it did three years ago.

It will be a short list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston