Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Okay, let me ask you--if he was caucasian, but really, really tan, and the cop was hispanic, would it be a racial incident? Why wouldn't it be?

Come on. Where is the logic?

I'm just saying from my perspective, I don't know how he could say, "I'm black, that's the reason why I was shot." WTF? How about, the reason why you were shot is because you were warned not to move and you did. I'm not saying shooting him was the right thing to do--in any way--but there's more to this than the media is presenting (as usual). Do you acknowledge there is more to the story, or are you so closed-minded on the subject that you patently refuse to look at all the facts?
The issue at hand is not so much his having been shot "because he was black" as it is the motive of a police officer who egregiously violated a young man's civil rights by not having any reason in the first place to storm his property and terrorize his family, even after repeated confirmation directly contravening the assumption of the cop. The shooting was just the culmination of a series of questionable actions guided by a dangerous mindset in which minorities are just "asking" to be subjects (targets) of adversarial police action, whether warranted or not.

And your first question is irrelevant. There has never been an identifiable historic trend of white kids being "ill-advisedly" gunned down in so many instances by trigger-happy minority officers with a particularly keen eye for white misbehavior. If you can find any documented info pointing to such a trend, I'd be more than happy to comment on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 PM

575 posts, read 3,696,196 times
Sounds to me like racial profiling which is usually justified but obviously NOT in this case.

These officers need to be fired and NEVER be cops anywhere again, and they should be held criminally and civilly libel. I also believe they were lying about a stolen car.

When it's all said & done....let Blackwater give these jackboot thugs a job.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:09 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,247,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
Sounds to me like racial profiling which is usually justified but obviously NOT in this case.

These officers need to be fired and NEVER be cops anywhere again, and they should be held criminally and civilly libel. I also believe they were lying about a stolen car.

When it's all said & done....let Blackwater give these jackboot thugs a job.
Usually justified? Depends on the circumstance. If I am passing through a white neighborhood where a black male in his late 20's to early 30's just committed a crime and I am questioned (professionally) by authorities who took notice of my description, no problem.

If I am passing through and the cops just want to start following me because I'm black "so I must be out of place", then there's an issue.

Everything else you stated was right on point.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,022,027 times
What is "White" anyways? Most of us are mixed weather it be of Italian, Norwegian, Scottish, Spanish, German, Russian, Bulgarian, French, Irish, Australian, etc. etc. descent.

CAUCASIAN is the politically correct broad terminology.

Would we call all Asian people "Yellows" or Indian people "Browns"?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,589,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
CAUCASIAN is the politically correct broad terminology term.
I prefer "poor uneducated white trash." Fits me to a T.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
What ever floats your boat man.

(edit) I'm not even going to respond to such a tactless post.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-19-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
If I am passing through and the cops just want to start following me because I'm black "so I must be out of place", then there's an issue.
why is this an issue? profiling is probably the biggest factor in safety and security. its hard to police a place where everyone looks like theyre up to no good (or matches a perps description). it sucks your description lookalikes are into home invasions. it sucks my people are into unregister/illegal cars. it also sucks that middleeastern/indian people are singled out at airports. its work for security folks to check their leads even tho its as vague as skin tone/shape of eyes

Old 02-19-2009, 02:35 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,255,601 times
Quote:
Don't leave out redneck hillbilly toothless trailer trash. (:>)

Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,006 times
Quote:
with beer belly

Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Uneducated Caucasians (white people) are a minority. The "Mountain People" shown on 20/20 the other night accounts for a fraction of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston