Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,229,885 times

Advertisements

Some great replies!

BTW, if the OP has ever been to Atlanta (where our daughter lives--so I know it well), they would clearly see the difference between a southern city and a Texas city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Some great replies!

BTW, if the OP has ever been to Atlanta (where our daughter lives--so I know it well), they would clearly see the difference between a southern city and a Texas city.

Well if one only looked at the climate/ecology/scenery, one would say it is Deep South (SE/Gulf Coast). But even still-- we have the odd Texas/SW black tail jackrabbit, South Texas mesquite tree, and an extreme lack of kudzu. And hotter average temperatures year-round. Of course the 'omniscient one' already knows this.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Houston is a Southern city. In its beginnings it was a major port from where cotton was shipped and it was manned by slaves. Houston did have a siginificant slave population working as skilled artisans and domestic help in the city as well. The founders of Texas, including Sam Houston, were from the eastern parts of the South and the local culture has a lot in common with the South.

People need to realize that the South isn't a monolithic place and it isn't defined by religion or political beliefs alone. Yes Atlanta is a different type of Southern city than Houston, but it's also different than Memphis, New Orleans, and Mobile. Southerners are a very diverse lot ranging from Cajuns to Appalachain Highlanders to Gullah-Geechee on the Carolina coast to Texans. There's a very old Jewish community in Charleston and Atlanta just as there is an established Catholic presence in Southern Louisiana. The accents differ across the South as well (it always annoys the hell out of me seeing Hollywood actors trying to imitate a Southern accent).

So yes, Texas is the South. It's a very distinct part of the South, but it is the South.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
OP, I have a question for you now.

What's the deal with getting in the Houston forum with all of these strange comments and questions? If you're not even in Texas, or considering a move to Texas, or....?

Chicago is in the Midwest. Do you also think it is just like the little towns in the rural Midwest?

Not only that, but Houston is on a major port, and ranks 3rd in the country in foreign consulates. Close to 100 languages are spoken within the city.

There is some southern culture. Also a little western. But there is more Texan culture. And most of all, an international feel that knows no geographical boundaries due to the size, diversity, and multiple originating countries of its residents. Maybe you just have to actually live in Houston to understand that.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM

182 posts, read 768,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Houston is a Southern city. In its beginnings it was a major port from where cotton was shipped and it was manned by slaves. Houston did have a siginificant slave population working as skilled artisans and domestic help in the city as well. The founders of Texas, including Sam Houston, were from the eastern parts of the South and the local culture has a lot in common with the South.
A port yes, but major port?? Houston didn't even exist before 1836 and didn't really gain major prominence (for the area) until the late 1800's. The ship channel wasn't built until after 1900, long after slavery was abolished. (The need for which was made clear by the Hurricane of 1900 that destroyed Galveston, which WAS the major port at the time) There were slaves here, but to call it a significant population would be stretching it. There just weren't that many people here, period, prior to 1863.

Also, Sam Houston was not a founder of Houston. That honor falls to J. K. and A. C. Allen, from NEW YORK.

There's nothing WRONG with Southern Cities... i just don't fit Houston into quite the same mold as Atlanta, Birminham, Charlotte, New orleans, etc. Just my opinion.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
A port yes, but major port?? Houston didn't even exist before 1836 and didn't really gain major prominence (for the area) until the late 1800's. The ship channel wasn't built until after 1900, long after slavery was abolished. (The need for which was made clear by the Hurricane of 1900 that destroyed Galveston, which WAS the major port at the time) There were slaves here, but to call it a significant population would be stretching it. There just weren't that many people here, period, prior to 1863.

Also, Sam Houston was not a founder of Houston. That honor falls to J. K. and A. C. Allen, from NEW YORK.

There's nothing WRONG with Southern Cities... i just don't fit Houston into quite the same mold as Atlanta, Birminham, Charlotte, New orleans, etc. Just my opinion.
Houston was still a major transportation hub for the shipping of cotton and sugar harvested on surrounding plantations. Houston did actually have a significant slave population during the Civil War and you can probably find aspects of this in some of the historic neighborhoods inside of the city.

As I said in my post, the South isn't monolithic and Houston is not in the same mold as Birmingham or New Orleans. However it is very similar to the New South cities of Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,501 times
If Houston is so conservative, how did they manage to elect a lesbian (Annice Parker) to be the second highest elected official on the city council (three times nonetheless)? And she is a definite contender for mayor next time around...

Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,045 times
Quote:
It just seems ridiculous that Houston residents think of themselves as western and not southern
How many residents have you spoken to about this and really...why do you care?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM

43 posts, read 173,779 times
Quote:

People need to realize that the South isn't a monolithic place and it isn't defined by religion or political beliefs alone. Yes Atlanta is a different type of Southern city than Houston, but it's also different than Memphis, New Orleans, and Mobile. Southerners are a very diverse lot ranging from Cajuns to Appalachain Highlanders to Gullah-Geechee on the Carolina coast to Texans. There's a very old Jewish community in Charleston and Atlanta just as there is an established Catholic presence in Southern Louisiana. The accents differ across the South as well (it always annoys the hell out of me seeing Hollywood actors trying to imitate a Southern accent).

So yes, Texas is the South. It's a very distinct part of the South, but it is the South.
Quote:
Houston was still a major transportation hub for the shipping of cotton and sugar harvested on surrounding plantations. Houston did actually have a significant slave population during the Civil War and you can probably find aspects of this in some of the historic neighborhoods inside of the city.

As I said in my post, the South isn't monolithic and Houston is not in the same mold as Birmingham or New Orleans. However it is very similar to the New South cities of Dallas, Atlanta, and Charlotte.
Dear south-to-west:
From your previous posts, it appears as though you are trying to say that anywhere that once instituted slavery would be considered the South. That, of course would dictate that most of the Caribbean would be part of the South. If, however, you are trying to say that slave holding regions in the continental United States would be the South, then I would have to ask you if Maryland, Kentucky, or Missouri would be considered "southern"? Point being that the old definitions of the South are dead. In so many ways, the citizens of a city will identify themselves with others whom they share common ideals, beliefs,and interests with. Venture an hour northeast of Houston and I will agree that East Texas is southern in nature. And I would dare to say that many East Texans would agree. But Houston and it's citizens (the old-timers at least) see themselves as Texans. Just like the people in San Antonio and Austin do. Texans first, whatever else second. And I believe it would be very presumptuous for anyone to try and explain to Houstonians who they should identify with regionally.

(I'll step off my soap-box now)

Quote:
Anyone from north of I-10 is a yankee. Including The Woodlands.
Greatness!!

Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
This is what the anthro experts say:

http://faculty.smu.edu/RKEMPER/anth_..._Districts.jpg

The part of Texas that is associated with the common, "traditional" Deep South is just along the Sabine River. We're still "Southern," just with a different Texas flavor. That tends to take precedence over the other labels from the all-knowing Californians who don't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston