Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 07:08 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'd actually appreciate it if neither you or anyone else stalks my posts, thank you.

Um, no. Some folks post such incredible things in here they are impossible to forget, even several months later. Don't feel too bad, though- you certainly don't have a monopoly on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM

171 posts, read 218,899 times
So all of Texas is a part of the greater Southwest, as it is not Southern, or Western, hence it being in the Southwest. These are the states I consider to be the Southwest: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaframalama View Post
So all of Texas is a part of the greater Southwest, as it is not Southern, or Western, hence it being in the Southwest. These are the states I consider to be the Southwest: Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but most of Texas and Oklahoma are really, in no way, shape, or form, southwestern. Houston, specifically, is out of the question.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm originally from California living in Arizona. Phoenix feels so much more liberal and western than Houston and its not really liberal. It just seems ridiculous that Houston residents think of themselves as western and not southern despite the fact that they are so close to the Lousiana border? I understand that Houston is a large and financially secure city. However, culturally, it's pretty Bible Belt if you ask me. It's clearly a southern city but why don't you guys embrace that? Why are you always denying it when no one outside of Houston sees you as anything but a conservative city?
Whats up with this troll post?

Dude, you live in PHOENIX... the most backward racist city in America, also the happy home of Joe Arpaio, you know, the sherriff who murders non whites in his custody whenever he can...

And he has an extremely high approval rate in Maracopa county

Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 PM

683 posts, read 834,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm originally from California living in Arizona. Phoenix feels so much more liberal and western than Houston and its not really liberal. It just seems ridiculous that Houston residents think of themselves as western and not southern despite the fact that they are so close to the Lousiana border? I understand that Houston is a large and financially secure city. However, culturally, it's pretty Bible Belt if you ask me. It's clearly a southern city but why don't you guys embrace that? Why are you always denying it when no one outside of Houston sees you as anything but a conservative city?
It is all about history and geography. Think about it....did the southern states have cattle drives like Texas did from here to the center of the country? Were the southern states ever part of Mexico? Do they have a border with Mexico? According to the map Texas, California and Arizona shares the border with Mexico. And the Bible belt swings big time up into the midwest so does that make most of Illinois a southern state (well to Chicagoians it does...lol)? California and Texas no longer have a white majority....Houston has a lesbian mayor who just got elected for the second time....so how does that make it conservative? Plus it has a very large international community...so I am guessing most of the people who think Houston is conservative are just plain stupid?

P.S. Yes compared to Chicago it is conservative...but I have been very surprised how easy it is to be a gay couple in this city and so so pleased at seeing all the middle easterners, latinos, indians and so on here!

And from what I read...Texas didn't go into the war happily. It didn't have a century or two of hardcore slavery going on like the rest of the south did.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
It is all about history and geography. Think about it....did the southern states have cattle drives like Texas did from here to the center of the country? Were the southern states ever part of Mexico? Do they have a border with Mexico? According to the map Texas, California and Arizona shares the border with Mexico. And the Bible belt swings big time up into the midwest so does that make most of Illinois a southern state (well to Chicagoians it does...lol)? California and Texas no longer have a white majority....Houston has a lesbian mayor who just got elected for the second time....so how does that make it conservative? Plus it has a very large international community...so I am guessing most of the people who think Houston is conservative are just plain stupid?

P.S. Yes compared to Chicago it is conservative...but I have been very surprised how easy it is to be a gay couple in this city and so so pleased at seeing all the middle easterners, latinos, indians and so on here!

And from what I read...Texas didn't go into the war happily. It didn't have a century or two of hardcore slavery going on like the rest of the south did.
No one with sense is going to argue that Texas doesn't have a unique history all on its own, but that doesn't mean it isn't a southern state.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
I don't know why this is such a hot topic.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I don't know why this is such a hot topic.
I was wondering the same thing.

Any plans on coming to Houston soon, SB?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post

Texas has a unique history, that's why they have that motto six flags over texas; Spain, France, Mexico, the republic of Texas, the united states, and the confedaracy. So Texas diffenatly has southern roots, but as you can see by the different flags that have flown over the state it a gumbo pot of different cultures. Houston is becoming more and more international everyday, which makes it different than say Mississippi and alabama.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

Any plans on coming to Houston soon, SB?
I want to, but I'm not sure when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston