Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,551,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
"My baby is 1 today!!" (set 6 days ago)
Congrats.

I think one under-appreciated aspect of man-made global warming as a movement is the amount of funding that comes from looking into it. This is why large numbers of fortune-seekers and hangers-on have contributed to the hysteria. Western governments have allocated billions of dollars of new money in research grants. Private sector firms have spent large sums of money hiring activists to figure out how much money looming government mandates will cost them. The nice thing about the current hysteria is that scientists in unrelated fields get to be globe-trotting celebrities with large book advances (courtesy of book publishing groupies looking for the next big fad) instead of actually looking at the tangled mess of incomplete, non-comparable, confusing, contradictory and ultimately inconclusive data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,746,437 times
Thanks for those links Mom2Feebs. I'm still making up my mind about the whole thing. I do know that the earth goes through natural cycles of warming up and cooling down. I seem to remember reading an article once about the planet coming out of what is known as "the little ice age" which occurred a few hundred years ago.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 AM

734 posts, read 1,083,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Katy Freeway toll lanes may see $4 fee at peak times | Front page | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
Dam, can I go anywhere without having to pay a fee. My wife and I are about to go see Erika Badu tonight at the Arena theater and I have to find a "freaking" free route from Katy, without having to use the West parking lot toll way. this is just insane, can someone please explain why we pay high property taxes again?

Back to the OP....

I think you should stop complaining, you live in Katy, which is nowhere near the Arena Theater. So if you would like to get there for free and be able to live without tolls, you should have moved to Sugar Land or nearer to Houston, No tolls around herre. A straight shot to DT, without a hitch.
But you made that decision long ago

Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,444,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I might be totally going nuts here but I thought we were discussing tolls on I-10 originally. I don't know though, I'm completely lost.

I-10? Isn't that in another thread?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 AM

247 posts, read 738,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
What part of hedge fund and offshore bank don't you understand? Neither of these enterprises was subject to Federal regulation under Democratic administrations - the whole point is that they were for sophisticated investors who should have enough money to hire investment advisers and lawyers (such as yourself) to take care of their interests. What happened was that some of these lawyers and investment advisers failed to do sufficient due diligence. Unless Obama finds a way to take care of the wealthy Democratic Party donors who make up much of their clientele, taxpayers should not be on the hook for their losses. Deregulation isn't being crammed down our throats - deregulation simply consists of masses of individuals making independent decisions with their money, whereas regulation consists of unelected bureaucrats (typically lawyers) inserting obscure provisions into the law in order to benefit themselves once they move into the private sector.
Forgive me but no matter what the individual's party affiliation, my eyes almost always glaze over when the rude pontification begins. What was it you said?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 AM

247 posts, read 738,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Are you actually suggesting that conservatives shoulder all the blame for the mortgage crisis? *lol* Shyeah. Hello...Frank and Dodd ring a bell for ya?

Finger pointing is fun!
I don't know... it feels somehow unseemly to tangle with another Mommy in full view of my toddler. Especially one with such an acerbic wit. So I think I'll give this one a pass.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:25 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,784,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Back to the OP....

I think you should stop complaining, you live in Katy, which is nowhere near the Arena Theater. So if you would like to get there for free and be able to live without tolls, you should have moved to Sugar Land or nearer to Houston, No tolls around herre. A straight shot to DT, without a hitch.
But you made that decision long ago
There are some people I do not respect nor their inarticulate positions. Take from that what you will.

Thanks for playing.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,621,730 times
Quote:
Back to the OP....

I think you should stop complaining
Am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious, considering the source?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 AM

734 posts, read 1,083,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious, considering the source?
HAHA I do complain alot, but it's more or less things out of my hand, and not due to my past decisions.

Look at it, Sugar Land to most areas of town there is no Toll,

But from Katy outwards, there are starting to put toll up;

Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 AM

2,556 posts, read 4,067,759 times
Quote:
HAHA I do complain alot, but it's more or less things out of my hand, and not due to my past decisions.

Look at it, Sugar Land to most areas of town there is no Toll,

But from Katy outwards, there are starting to put toll up;
Just wait a while. I wouldn't see 1-10 as an exception, but rather as a harbinger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston