Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM

9 posts, read 34,874 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to Katy, TX for his job from Uniontown, OH. We are planning a visit to Katy in April and a few people from his company are willing to take us around the area. Any suggestions on what we should see/visit in the area?

I am interested in Cinco Ranch and Grand Lakes. Are these good neighborhoods for families? Also, what does the HOA or maintenance fees cover for these neighborhoods?

We have two daughters ages 6 and 9, but would not be moving until next summer so they would be a year older. My children are very active in sports, softball, cheerleading and dance. My oldest daughter would be going into junior high and I worry that this would be very difficult for her. Has anyone else relocated with school children this age? How did your children transition into the schools? Are there a lot of elementary schools combining into the junior highs? I ask this because I think it may be easier for her because a lot of kids would not know each other.

Thank you in advance for all your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,939,167 times
I live in Cinco Ranch, moved here last summer from Philadelphia. Cinco and Grand Lakes are both EXCELLENT, family friendly communities. Also take a look at Seven Meadows, and maybe Firethorne. HOA fees cover trash, community pools/parks/tennis, maintanance on the common areas and greenbelts. Cinco has a TON of pool/recreation areas because it is huge and well established...I think maybe 9 pools now? Grand Lakes is a bit smaller and has 4 pools I think. We looked at many houses in both communities. We settled in a section called Highland Park, which is Cinco West...our house and neighborhood is 2-3 years old. I was blown away by how friendly our neighbors were...all have kids. We have regular block parties and such.

The schools in Katy are top-notch and yes, there are multiple elementary schools feeding into each Junior High. Katy ISD is building new elementary, Jr High and Sr High schools seemingly every year, because the growth is tremendous. Katy in general is what I would call ultra focused on families, so there are tons of activities to choose from, various sports and dance, etc. You will have probably 3-4 different leagues to choose from for each sport. I prefer the YMCA programs.

Anyway, I love it here.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:45 PM

299 posts, read 1,017,113 times
I live close to sbhubbell and would second everything said above. If you are thinking of moving to the area especially cinco ranch drive by the water park, the beach club, and the pool closest to the area you are thinking of moving. It is really nice that the pool fees are included in the HOA dues.

There are tons of sports and other activities and outside activities are available year round since the winters are mild here.

Katy is such a fast growing community many people with children transfer in every year, so your children won't be alone trying to make new friends. I've found the area to be very inviting, and friendly so the transition should be a little easier because of that.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 34,874 times
Thank you both for your replies! Is the weather as hot and horrible in the summer months as I have heard? Do people really stay inside all summer?

Sbhubbel - you said you used to live in PA, I am sure the weather in PA is comparable to OH, how did you adjust the climate change? I cant imagine my kids being home in the summer and staying inside! YIKES! We live for the summer when we can be outside.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,484,637 times
Default from a fellow Ohio transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon1211 View Post
Thank you both for your replies! Is the weather as hot and horrible in the summer months as I have heard? Do people really stay inside all summer?

Sbhubbel - you said you used to live in PA, I am sure the weather in PA is comparable to OH, how did you adjust the climate change? I cant imagine my kids being home in the summer and staying inside! YIKES! We live for the summer when we can be outside.
I'm originally from northeastern Ohio and moved to Texas years ago, now settled in SW Houston about 15 miles from Katy. It WILL be a shock when you move in June. In Ohio June is sort of like a spring transitional month with cool nights with a bit of a nip on occasion where you don't need aircon (when I grew up in Ohio we didn't have aircon at all!). In Katy it'll be 90 with a low of 70 with hi humidity. However, there are huge pluses, you just will have to wait until Oct when the heat breaks. Jan and Feb, unlike OH, are nice cool but not cold days when you can play golf and tennis every day. I've lived 21 or 24 years since leaving OH in TX and don't plan on ever returning.

Also, you are very very fortunate to have hubby's job in Katy, so you avoid probably Houston's biggest downside - either having a long commute or having to live in either a too expensive or dangerous neighborhood. You'll have the American dream - nice house, small-town living, big-city weekends, no commute.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:36 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default More of the same...

I agree with all said about Katy thus far. Winter in Houston, when it is very cold, lasts anywhere from two weeks, to a month in total, the rest of winter is great, shorts and T-shirt weather for the most part, though occassional days are a bit cold. Now consider that the worst of the heat is July and August, with temperatures cooling off in September, it varies. That gives you almost 9 months of outdoor activities!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,309,285 times
My daughter was in 7th grade when we moved to Katy. She transitioned very well, even through a second move that put her in a different school in the 8th grade. Unlike back home, many students are new to the area, so your oldest will not feel like an outsider.

In addition to the pools, there are playgrounds scattered throughout the communities - very family friendly.

You will be happy in either Grand Lakes or Cinco. You just need to decide which amenities you want and would actually use (although there are 8 pools in Cinco - you will probably only use the one nearest you, after trying out the water park and Beach club at least once)

Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 PM

17 posts, read 48,720 times
Default 17 yrs south katy

The Cinco area is very nice. The worst neighborhoods in South Katy are like Disneyland compared to 'bad' neighborhoods elsewhere. The amenities are amazing if you like shopping, eating, entertainment etc. I think you could eat in a different restaurant every day of the year and not be a repeat. The Schools are very good. They are among the highest rated in Texas. The area leans toward the conservative, and is very family oriented. New arrivals are welcomed. Rudeness is frowned upon.
Having lived in many places throughout the US, I'd say South Katy gives you tremendous bang for the buck. You can get an amazing house for 250K or less. Older smaller homes can be found for the low 100's! The same 250K house here would fetch 800K in Calif/NY (or at least used to).
I have raised 4 children here and really have no regrets...The overall Houston Job market is fairly good compared to many parts of the country and salaries tend to be decent relative to housing costs.
I am a water person, and a beach person. The only thing that was a disappointment to me is that the beaches here are only So So. Galveston is the major venue..about 1 hr away. The water tends to be a little brown much of the time from Mississippi mud, but on a nice day, after a few days of calm weather, the water can be pretty nice and you can have a lot of fun at the beach. There is a part of Galveston called the Strand, that is like a mini Bourbon St and is also a lot of fun regardless of the water conditions.
If you like cultural things, there are theatres and museums towards downtown Houston. Also a fairly short drive (except during rush hour). There is a Bus service that runs to downtown from 2 locations in Katy.
Hope that helps

Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM

155 posts, read 542,497 times
I live in Grand Harbor in Katy (North of Cinco Ranch but south of I-10). My oldest was in the 8th grade, and my middle was in the 2nd grade. It took some time to adjust from the Los Angeles schooling to Katy ISD schooling simply because Katy schools are far superior in regards to teaching. Adjustment took time, but they enjoy it. We've been out here for about 3 years and loving it...

As far as the weather goes, give yourself a full year to get acclimated to the Houston weather. It took me at least a full summer to get use to the heat and humidity.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I live in Grand Harbor in Katy (North of Cinco Ranch but south of I-10). My oldest was in the 8th grade, and my middle was in the 2nd grade. It took some time to adjust from the Los Angeles schooling to Katy ISD schooling simply because Katy schools are far superior in regards to teaching. Adjustment took time, but they enjoy it. We've been out here for about 3 years and loving it...

As far as the weather goes, give yourself a full year to get acclimated to the Houston weather. It took me at least a full summer to get use to the heat and humidity.
I've lived here all my life, and each June it's a shock. I've never gotten "used to it." In fact yesterday when it hit the 80's I said....."Ok, here we go, there's no looking back untill Halloween." Get a Margarita machine and a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston