Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:40 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,591,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Not really, the white flight folks just keep leaving their areas when it becomes more diverse & shift North. Just get the school demographics from the past 20 years of all Houston burbs & you'll see it.
Yep.

At some point they'll be too far away from work and they're just going to have to accept that people who don't look like them, as well as poor people of all stripes, are not gonna be very far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:27 AM

258 posts, read 955,586 times
Wow, I just saw those videos of Westfield HS and I must say, that was more than a little horsing around as one user suggested. "Expected to see guns and knives"..this is a high school not a prison.

Here's some stats on Westfield:
Westfield High School - rating and statistics - - HAR.com

Student Statistics Ethnic Group Number Percent African American 1950 50.22% Hispanic 1329 34.23% White 347 8.94% Asian/Pacific Islander 251 6.46% Native American 6 0.15% Total Students 3883 100.00% Economically Disadvantaged 2397 61.73% Limited English Proficiency 181 4.66% Program Number Percent Bilingual 181 4.66% Gifted & Talented 544 14.01% Special Education 385 9.92%

Old 07-07-2009, 02:29 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Yep.

At some point they'll be too far away from work and they're just going to have to accept that people who don't look like them, as well as poor people of all stripes, are not gonna be very far away.
It's all part of Obama's plan!!!!

All kidding aside, Houston is light years ahead of most cities when it comes to this. Sure, there are lots of white people that have left as soon as minorities moved to their neighborhoods. There are also a lot who have stayed. We are much more accepting of differences in Houston than most places.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times
"For us poor folks who had a budget limit in the $300k range, we're kind of SOL."
I cannot believe that's a limited budget to somebody and they consider themselves "poor folks". My husband and I have a budget of $120K. We have been able to find plenty of homes in great school districts. Not all of Spring ISD is bad, it just takes time to find homes zoned to the better schools. Although I do have to admit, the homes are all north of houston as someone else suggested (Klein, N. Spring, Tomball, and even so far as Montgomery). We will both have a commute into work every day but when it comes to our son's education, it is worth it to us since we cannot afford to purchase an inner-loop house.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:00 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,152,649 times
Well, as far as housing cost, most people are SOL in other large cities in the US, too.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 AM

611 posts, read 2,236,725 times
for those that think these are just middle class yoofs, utes, and chilwrens please pull your head out

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/spec...gs-121892.html
from just the other day.......notice the blurb in there about kids moving from the ghetto where they belong because of things like section 8 and instead of being "brought up" they drag down

yet another example of bringing crime yet closer to you and making it harder to track

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/memphis-crime

search for the SINGLE article about cabrini green in chicago where there was a follow up......see the mix race gay male couple with two boys talk about how they are going to have to move somewhere with "better schools" and how things are nice and new.....but the problems are the same as ever

as for where the poor will live being poor is not an excuse for being an animal....at least it was not when this country was a lot better off

I went to public schools in Houston until the last 3 years in San Antonio and NOTHING CLOSE to that would have been allowed and in Houston you would have lit those fools up with a paddle faster than their head could spin....it would probably be hard enough to knock some of the fake gold out of their mush mouths....in San Antonio they would have just suspended you for 3 days (which was a bad choice VS swats swats work better.....three day vacations from school are just that)

as for those that mention zoning......what planet do you live on get a HUGE clue......1. like California is not filled to the gills with violent crappy schools......Dallas has zoning......I can think of 5000+ places in Dallas where ghetto crap is right next to something nice or that was nice and is fading fast.......the only difference and what makes Houston so much better is that in Houston you have a hell of a lot better chance of buying it and running the D8 over it and putting something nice there VS a place with idiotic zoning and idiotic government like Dallas that will stand in the way

the REAL answer to how to help Spring Schools and ALL schools in Texas is of course vouchers.....then people that care about education VS infringing on the rights of lil Ja'Tron-DelTron'Ic to wear its pants around its ankles along with a bunch of gold and text all class period can send their kids to schools that spend every last dollar and minute on education VS dealing with the issues of a future felon in training

I can see tens of thousands of dollars that would have been better spent even back when I was in school if common sense and parent involvement was required VS PC crap and parental excuse making and parental blame on the schools

the asinine thing about what I am saying is that the *******s and the neo-urbanist and the urban worms are the ones most against vouchers.......and they steadfastly refuse to believe that it is the schools that so many care about or that schools will somehow manage to get even less integrated than they have become now.....and they are just blissfully ignorant of how much easier it would be to save a nice neighborhood if people ONLY had to put up with the criminal trash around the way trying to rob or steal from them VS that combined with their kid getting wilded on by the utes, yoofs, and chilwrens in their school

it just goes to show that re-education and indoctrination trumps all others even controlling urban sprawl to the neo-urbanist, liberal, and urban worm

sadly it even trumps giving the VERY few "good utes, yoofs, and chilwrens" that are influenced by the "oh so very small very misguided ones" a chance at a good education

hell some like USC even laugh about as if introducing the third world tot he USA is some type of pay back to white people....and to think some wonder why others never get ahead and get sucked into the gang lifestyle like in the article even when they have some of "the breaks"

the USCs of the world can't let them off the reservation and success will not equal payback in the minds of the UCSs.....payback is third world standards for all

Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 AM

one more for the "just kids playing" crowd

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/6580225.html

just a year or two ago a couple of these fine examples of humanity would have been in a Fort Bend school near you....hell at 19 a couple of them would probably still be in school if they did not surely drop out

so yea somewhere out there there is OBVIOUSLY some yoofs, utes, and chilwrens that are doing more than just having fun and games.....strangely they act just like those that are "having fun and games" until someone dies then it was all about how good they were and how many touchdowns they scored or how good they could dunk a ball and rap at the same time and they just need another chance because all that other stuff was just fun and games and this was just an accident

Old 08-26-2009, 09:30 AM

124 posts, read 320,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post

it just goes to show that re-education and indoctrination trumps all others even controlling urban sprawl to the neo-urbanist, liberal, and urban worm
I'm 27, I've lived INSIDE of Houston my entire life and will pick HISD Magnet school over whatever suburb you're commuting from. Does that make me an Urban Worm? There's nothing neo about my urbanism, buddy. If you want to live in the country, live there, I think it's nice to get away from the city every once in a while...but don't blast those of us with half a brain who don't want to drive an hour to work everyday.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIS_Gordon View Post
I'm 27, I've lived INSIDE of Houston my entire life and will pick HISD Magnet school over whatever suburb you're commuting from. Does that make me an Urban Worm? There's nothing neo about my urbanism, buddy. If you want to live in the country, live there, I think it's nice to get away from the city every once in a while...but don't blast those of us with half a brain who don't want to drive an hour to work everyday.
and yes the parents of regular kids that have not made a career decision at 14-15 than you for you concern about their kids education

magnet schools......just the poverty pimps straw man

and so of you lived inside the loop and worked at a refinery, NASA, the energy corridor, IAH, or a suburban school I guess you would still be running at the mouth about your travel time

wise up I just saw a story the other day I will have to dig up talking about only 13% of Houston's jobs are concentrated in the downtown district.....no matter what the urban worms will babble

Old 08-26-2009, 11:38 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,084,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
the REAL answer to how to help Spring Schools and ALL schools in Texas is of course vouchers.....then people that care about education VS infringing on the rights of lil Ja'Tron-DelTron'Ic to wear its pants around its ankles along with a bunch of gold and text all class period can send their kids to schools that spend every last dollar and minute on education VS dealing with the issues of a future felon in training
How is that an answer? Do you think the family of "lil Ja'Tron-DelTron'Ic " would use the voucher?

I read the Atlantic article, and one of its points is that one could demolish a housing project, but he/she needs to carefully distribute the former residents and also provide coaching for the former residents. Many cities did not do this, and many housing project people moved into already declining neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston