Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times

Advertisements

Uh-Oh. Maybe it wasn't the chimney after all. But I'll tell ya, that noise stopped me in my tracks.

At the same time my husband was yelling for me to come out to the garage and look at the storm (we're shameless storm watchers). It was FIERCE! When I told him this morning a tornado had touched down he said he wasn't surprised, as he was starting to worry about a tornado at that point.

I'd been keeping an eye on the weather online during the storm, to see if they upgraded to a tornado warning. As far as I know it never got past a watch. (Do I have that right? First watch, then warning?)

I'm glad no one was hurt. My God, those poor people still rebuilding after Ike. What a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
my friends and i were traveling from houston to san antonio that day and had to pull off the road in schulenberg because the wind and rain were so bad.... plus the black sky with hints of green.......

was this the same storm system??

Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I work in a hi-rise downtown and several years ago we had a tornado not touch down but brush the tops of the bldgs. and knocked a bunch of windows out of a neighboring bldg. and a glass door in ours and I'll never forget the weird dark green of the sky and the rattling of the windows. We didn't hear a train but I think that is because it never touched the ground - just dipped down skimming those bldgs.
Ooooh, I remember that one. Went right over my apartment and did some damage to apartments in Montrose (off of Westmoreland just N of Alabama) before heading into downtown. It was flooding downtown that day too.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Uh-Oh. Maybe it wasn't the chimney after all. But I'll tell ya, that noise stopped me in my tracks.

At the same time my husband was yelling for me to come out to the garage and look at the storm (we're shameless storm watchers). It was FIERCE! When I told him this morning a tornado had touched down he said he wasn't surprised, as he was starting to worry about a tornado at that point.

I'd been keeping an eye on the weather online during the storm, to see if they upgraded to a tornado warning. As far as I know it never got past a watch. (Do I have that right? First watch, then warning?)

I'm glad no one was hurt. My God, those poor people still rebuilding after Ike. What a mess.
Correct...Watch: is conditions are favorable
Warning: one has been sited
I have my comp set for all kinds of weather alerts from the Weather Channel and we saw the "watch", but never received the "warning".

Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
The Houston area in general sort of scores high on the incidences of tornadic activity - not sure why though.
Does it also hit Houston itself at times? How far is Seabrook from Houston's Metro area?

I didn't think tornados traditionally hit population centers...seem so rural to me for some reason. In addition, isn't Houston close enough to the coast to not have hurricanes?

Sorry, I am not that informed about tornados, but just always imagined them in the rural heartland areas away from coasts. Just curious about them though

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Does it also hit Houston itself at times? How far is Seabrook from Houston's Metro area?

I didn't think tornados traditionally hit population centers...seem so rural to me for some reason. In addition, isn't Houston close enough to the coast to not have hurricanes?

Sorry, I am not that informed about tornados, but just always imagined them in the rural heartland areas away from coasts. Just curious about them though
Houston itself and its suburbs have experienced lots of tornados over time. Luckily for us, they are generally not the major kind but do a little damage here and there. There are of course exceptions, but the last major tornado hit Channelview area a number of years ago. We also get downbursts which can be as destructive as a tornado.

Houston, being only a little off the coast definitely experiences hurricanes as Ike proved last year (and that was just a Cat 2). Most of Houston is not subject to tidal surge (except the ship channel area and east side bayous) but it's suburbs certainly are. Houston can and has on numerous occassions dealt with Hurricane and Tropical Storm force winds which is not fun at all. Houston is part of the Gulf Coast and has typical problems with flooding.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Tornadoes can hit any place, Chicago supposedly gets lots of them as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Correct. Tornados don't take into account rural vs highly populated.

Distance from Seabrook to Downtown Houston is maybe 60 miles? It may be alittle less.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Chicagoland does have its share of spring & summer thunderstorms. Few years ago a funnel cloud was sighted on the north side near Loyola university right on the lake. That debunked a myth about Lake Michigan eliminating the possibility of tornadoes. Last year during a Cubs night game there was a microburst that some mistook for a tornado. South side of Chicago had a tornado in 1967 with fatalaties. However most tornadoes happen in the suburbs outside the city proper. The southwest suburbs seem to have more frequent tornadoes.
Cities do get tornadoes, Fort Worth, Atlanta, Nashville and even Salt Lake City have had tornadoes.
I'm glad you are all OK. The thing that I like about riding out storms in Chi-town is almost all of us have basements. We can go in the basement family room and ride out the storm there instead of hunkering down in a closet or bathroom. Of course, "Our Spring" is always here today and gone tomorrow-it's a balmy 42 degrees outside right now. So right now I am envious of your weather (except the flash floods)

Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Correct. Tornados don't take into account rural vs highly populated.

Distance from Seabrook to Downtown Houston is maybe 60 miles? It may be alittle less.

It's a lot less...

Galveston is only 50 miles from downtown.

Glad to hear everything is ok, sorta. Things got dark as night & pretty windy near Ellington but no tornados. Our back yard turned into a marsh in some spots for awhile. I went out barefoot and the water came up about 2 inches above my ankle. Fortunately it drained overnight to the curbside via piping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston