Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:00 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
It's a lot less...

Galveston is only 50 miles from downtown.

Glad to hear everything is ok, sorta. Things got dark as night & pretty windy near Ellington but no tornados. Our back yard turned into a marsh in some spots for awhile. I went out barefoot and the water came up about 2 inches above my ankle. Fortunately it drained overnight to the curbside via piping.
LOL...wow your right! Just mapped how far to DH's work...32 miles....For what ever reason it seems alot longer!

Just spoke with friends who live off of Redbluff in Seabrook...they were completely flooded about 6 inches in all of downstairs. They got more water Sat. then they did with Ike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...wow your right! Just mapped how far to DH's work...32 miles....For what ever reason it seems alot longer!

Just spoke with friends who live off of Redbluff in Seabrook...they were completely flooded about 6 inches in all of downstairs. They got more water Sat. then they did with Ike!

Ike didn't really bring that much rainfall to the area, it seemed. We got a lot more water this weekend, too. Clear Lake City Blvd stayed high & dry, as usual. (keeping fingers crossed) And as usual, we got trapped. Down south near the townhomes there was some pretty bad street flooding Saturday afternoon. That's the first time I've ever seen that. Clear Creek crested over flood stage- I wonder how that affected League City and Friendswood. Sounds like towards Pasadena and Seabrook it was pretty bad. Of course the news went to the notorious spots along 45 and the south belt. (It seems every year the same news story is on -- the area floods like crazy, the yahoos there want the man to fix it, but they don't want to pay for it. ) So after many rounds of this, I'm about used to getting trapped @ home every so often.

I guess now our reward is the weather yesterday and today.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post

Still can't believe we missed the sounds of the tornado. We were watching a DVD that afternoon during the storm. Must have been zoned out. My 5 year old son is fascinated with weather and spent the afternoon looking out the window... he likes to watch tornado/hurricane movies on youtube. I'll be honest, I got a little worried when the water started pooling up a few inches in the backyard.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,219,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Ike didn't really bring that much rainfall to the area, it seemed. We got a lot more water this weekend, too. Clear Lake City Blvd stayed high & dry, as usual. (keeping fingers crossed) And as usual, we got trapped. Down south near the townhomes there was some pretty bad street flooding Saturday afternoon. That's the first time I've ever seen that. Clear Creek crested over flood stage- I wonder how that affected League City and Friendswood. Sounds like towards Pasadena and Seabrook it was pretty bad. Of course the news went to the notorious spots along 45 and the south belt. (It seems every year the same news story is on -- the area floods like crazy, the yahoos there want the man to fix it, but they don't want to pay for it. ) So after many rounds of this, I'm about used to getting trapped @ home every so often.

I guess now our reward is the weather yesterday and today.
The south side didn't get much of the rainfall associated w/ Ike but the north side did. The streets flooded during Ike then got much worse from the rain the front dumped the next day. Massive flooding on White Oak, Halls, Garners and Greens Bayous.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
The south side didn't get much of the rainfall associated w/ Ike but the north side did. The streets flooded during Ike then got much worse from the rain the front dumped the next day. Massive flooding on White Oak, Halls, Garners and Greens Bayous.
Are you sure that wasn't storm surge? I think all of those flow into the bay, directly or indirectly.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Our friends off of Red Bluff flooded from the water surge both times. For us the water wasn't nearly as high....into the yard, but not bad....clean up was minimal.
And yesterday and today....what glorious days...no humidity! Just finished mowing the front yard ...time to relax by the pool!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:42 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Are you sure that wasn't storm surge? I think all of those flow into the bay, directly or indirectly.

Maybe, but I heard the north and east sides did get some pretty heavy rain, 10 inches in some spots. When I said "the area" in the last post, I meant locally, bay area. I wasn't brave enough to stick around & watch it, but when I drove back that afternoon it appeared to be raining more leaves than water.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Yeah Ike was worse, because third ward was flooded bad and it flooded into my apartment.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Chicagoland does have its share of spring & summer thunderstorms. Few years ago a funnel cloud was sighted on the north side near Loyola university right on the lake. That debunked a myth about Lake Michigan eliminating the possibility of tornadoes. Last year during a Cubs night game there was a microburst that some mistook for a tornado. South side of Chicago had a tornado in 1967 with fatalaties. However most tornadoes happen in the suburbs outside the city proper. The southwest suburbs seem to have more frequent tornadoes.
Cities do get tornadoes, Fort Worth, Atlanta, Nashville and even Salt Lake City have had tornadoes.
I'm glad you are all OK. The thing that I like about riding out storms in Chi-town is almost all of us have basements. We can go in the basement family room and ride out the storm there instead of hunkering down in a closet or bathroom. Of course, "Our Spring" is always here today and gone tomorrow-it's a balmy 42 degrees outside right now. So right now I am envious of your weather (except the flash floods)
That's whats annoying about Texas because we don't have basements so we got to get in tubs with a mattress. I know out in rural areas that have underground shelters though.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:21 PM

661 posts, read 2,897,502 times
It's kind of funny that in New England (where I'm from) it's rare to find a house without a basement, yet a tornado warning just about never happens. After living with tornado warnings in GA, TN, and now TX, there sure are times I wish we had one to go to. Maybe the water tables are too high - not sure.

But I'll tell ya, you guys have crazy good water drainage as far as the roads go. My son was stuck Saturday afternoon at the intersection of Bay Area Blvd. and Diana Lane. He took some videos with his phone of cars trying to get through water that was at least three feet deep. He was on his way to the mall (and of course couldn't listen to Mom and hold off a bit until the storm was through ). It's amazing how quickly the water drained off once the rain ended. We were watching people unable to go down Red Bluff, but it didn't last long.

Our road had whitecaps on it, especially by the drains. Once the rain stopped the road drained right off.

I'm impressed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston