Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
A few years ago, tropical storm Allison dropped nearly 40" of rain on some parts of Houston. There were neigborhoods that flooded that had never flooded, and will never flood again. Many people didn't have flood insurance because their neighborhoods were not even near flood plains. It caused maps to be redrawn.

I own flood insurance because its cheap, and you just never know if some tropical storm is going to drop 40" on your house.
I guess that's my point to SBHubbell, it's cheap and you never know! Oh well, I can tell you that if we do move to Houston, we will definitely buy flood insurance! Just my opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
350 dollars is worth not having the headache IMHO

Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 AM

36 posts, read 74,941 times
IMO street flooding is directly related to how old the neighborhood is. those years of dumping lawn clippings and blowing debris into the sewers. there are also tell tale signs when you see the whole neighborhood has broken driveways - something had to give down there and if it shifted your driveway, i must have shifted sewer pipes and reduced its flow capacity.
I live in a 2 year old neighborhood and we do not have sewer thingers in the gutters but in the middle of the road so noone dumps stuff in if. anyway, the older neighborhoods behind my house was under water when we woke up while our streets are practically dry. Sure they have nice mature trees, plants and really big lawns but they always have problems

ummm I'm still not buying flood insurance

Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by our_truth View Post
IMO street flooding is directly related to how old the neighborhood is. those years of dumping lawn clippings and blowing debris into the sewers. there are also tell tale signs when you see the whole neighborhood has broken driveways - something had to give down there and if it shifted your driveway, i must have shifted sewer pipes and reduced its flow capacity.
I live in a 2 year old neighborhood and we do not have sewer thingers in the gutters but in the middle of the road so noone dumps stuff in if. anyway, the older neighborhoods behind my house was under water when we woke up while our streets are practically dry. Sure they have nice mature trees, plants and really big lawns but they always have problems

I dont agree at all. I lived in Garden Oaks and it never flooded not even close. My house was built in 1942. The Heights does not flood.
My current 1968 house has never flooded.
It has nothing to do do with age and everything to do with proximity to bayous.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
yes, I was talking to an enviromental engineer friend last night and he was saying the same thing. He feels it's possibly all the Cypress development that's causing a lot of it. He thinks Bridgelands is going to have major problems, and will cause the neighborhoods between it and I-10 to "go under" more often.
I have a friend in Bridgelands who posted pictures. They got lots of high water.

All of my friends on the northern side of town had problems as well.

Maybe First Colony / Sugar Land should be looked at as a model. We had zero problems. At least in areas I saw. They must be doing something right.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 PM

381 posts, read 1,234,372 times
Quote:

I don't agree either. My house built in the 40's has never flooded.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:22 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
I don't doubt that some old houses never flood, but at least here in Cinco Ranch, the flood control measures appear to me to be incredibly well designed, especially in the newer sections. Proximity to a bayou seems to have nothing to do with it, it's good engineering. Ditches all over the place...as ugly as they are...are working. Curved roadways with nice big stormdrains, sloped driveways with ledges. Even all the man-made retention ponds seem to have good drainage, they hardly fill at all. The Buffalo Bayou darn near doubled in height and was still well within its banks here. All I'm saying is that after going through Ike and now this, I'm not worried. Wind damage...yes, that worries me.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:23 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I dont agree at all. I lived in Garden Oaks and it never flooded not even close. My house was built in 1942. The Heights does not flood.
Second. Willow Bend / Willow Meadows, mostly 1950's construction and no flooding. Bayou tributary runs through the neighborhood and it is high relative to most of Harris County. No substantial flooding during Allison either, some houses on the bayou got some water when it overran the banks.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:24 PM

36 posts, read 74,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
have you looked to find out if there was work done to update your ancient sewage system? I bet you they have overhauled that a few times already. and that this overhaul work is now due to the neighborhood (guessing 30-40 yo) behind my house. FYI we are not close to the bayous and the no retention pond had overflow issues (heck we got so many). each of the street flooding i've see are in old neighborhoods and are on city streets (not on newer gated communities). we possibly have the same sewage system, its just their 'bottleneck' is the drains right in front of their houses
I've been to older 'richer' neighborhoods and I almost always find a sewer contruction work on the lower part of a streetblock. thats debris clean up at the very least. it has nothing to do with the age of your house really

Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
have you looked to find out if there was work done to update your ancient sewage system? I bet you they have overhauled that a few times already. and that this overhaul work is now due to the neighborhood (guessing 30-40 yo) behind my house. FYI we are not close to the bayous and the no retention pond had overflow issues (heck we got so many). each of the street flooding i've see are in old neighborhoods and are on city streets (not on newer gated communities). we possibly have the same sewage system, its just their 'bottleneck' is the drains right in front of their houses
I've been to older 'richer' neighborhoods and I almost always find a sewer contruction work on the lower part of a streetblock. thats debris clean up at the very least. it has nothing to do with the age of your house really
Right, then the older neighborhoods that have been maintained properly aren't necessarily going to flood any easier than a new subdivision, especially if the drainage wasn't done right there in the first place. The same stuff will happen underneath every development that pops up. New is the next old. You were planning on staying where you are for awhile, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston