Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 32,730 times

Advertisements

I am relocating soon and EVERYONE I talk to suggests Katy. I have visited Cinco Ranch several times over the last few months and every time I am at the model home area, usually on Saturday, I believe I am the only caucasian there (well, other than the sales people).

I am not going to appologize for my observation because I am not being racist. I just want to find a community where my family and I can fit in and make friends. Perhaps even have a neighborhood pool party/backyard BBQ.

It "feels" as though there is a very large Arabic and Asian influx to this area currently. Am I wrong in this assesment? I love the feel of Cinco Ranch and I hear the schools are top notch. I am looking for a place that has racial diversity but I dont want my kids to be the minority either.

If you want to call me racist. SAVE IT! I am just looking for a good "balance" and something that fits well for my family.

Thanks much.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 AM

46 posts, read 248,309 times
If you check the demographics in the schools that are zoned to Cinco, you will find that caucasin is the majority. Here is a link for your reference:

http://www.just4kids.org/en/

No matter what your ethnicity, your children will have the same benefit from the prestigious schools in Katy. Heck, that's what brought me to the area...the schools that is. I have been told that the Katy schools are in the top 5% in the nation.

In my observation of Cinco and the surrounding communities there IS diversity, not only racially but in ages as well. More and more people of all backgrounds are choosing to call South Katy home.

Last edited by workingwifeandmom; 05-08-2009 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,871,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirus22 View Post
I am relocating soon and EVERYONE I talk to suggests Katy. I have visited Cinco Ranch several times over the last few months and every time I am at the model home area, usually on Saturday, I believe I am the only caucasian there (well, other than the sales people).

I am not going to appologize for my observation because I am not being racist. I just want to find a community where my family and I can fit in and make friends. Perhaps even have a neighborhood pool party/backyard BBQ.

It "feels" as though there is a very large Arabic and Asian influx to this area currently. Am I wrong in this assesment? I love the feel of Cinco Ranch and I hear the schools are top notch. I am looking for a place that has racial diversity but I dont want my kids to be the minority either.

If you want to call me racist. SAVE IT! I am just looking for a good "balance" and something that fits well for my family.

Thanks much.

And you do not have to. This question is being asked here almost every day ( by non-whites ).

Does it have to be Cinco Ranch? Katy has a lot of nice places. If you feel that you don't fit in there, then you should consider a different location.

I also can't agree with you on your observations. I've been to Katy a lot and I never saw this many asians/arabic people. Walked through the sub-divisions?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM

967 posts, read 2,612,131 times
Hmmm I don't think it is a "Cinco" issue but that you might not be from the Houston area. Houston is very multi cultural but different cultures don't exactly cluster together into an Asian neighborhood, Indian neighborhood, white neighborhood . I just don't think you are used to Houston.

I myself find Cinco as a whole a little too vanilla myself... Even as a Caucasian... That being said my immediate neighborhood in Cinco is fairly diverse. Indian, Mexican, Venezualan, Korean, Fillipino, Thai, and even ex-pats from UK and Europe! Why not embrace it and try something new? For the past two winters we hosted an ethnic potluck... I brought the Norweigan Lefsa! LOL ! My kids have made great friends in school and Girl Scouts and have enjoyed learning about other cultures.

The biggest employers of the Cinco neighborhood are in oil and gas. These folks work all around the world and come from all over the world.

I hope that for your children's sake that you come with an open mind and embrace diversity rather than fear it.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,511,321 times
The satellite-burbs/exurbs/MPCs tend to be more diverse and blended. The city seems to made up of pockets of white, pockets of Mexican, pockets of Asian and pockets of AAs. There are areas that are more blended, but many seem to take on the term "transistional." Inside the loop, the middle and lower price ranges are definately more diverse.

PS- If an AA Attorney came on this board asking where all the wealthy blacks live because they would like to live in a community that they have something in common with, no one would be jumping on them

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 05-08-2009 at 09:47 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,745,146 times
So you and your kids can't make friend with brown people? Also last I heard Asian people like BBQ too. I would also point out that anytime you start a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but.." then your about to say something racist so just say what you want and no need to justify it to everyone.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,294,231 times
I would find a home in the more established parts of Cinco like South Lake.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM

354 posts, read 2,431,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

PS- If an AA Attorney came on this board asking where all the wealthy blacks live because they would like to live in a community that they have something in common with, no one would be jumping on them

Was that really necessary?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 AM

54 posts, read 149,980 times
This is how America segregates itself without any help from any outside agency. We want "diversity" (whatever that means), but we want the majority to look like "us." I wonder how those brave souls who venture outside where they "belong" (for the sake of someone else's diversity) can fit in and make friends?

If an Asian (or other race/ethnicity/nationality) moved to the neighborhood you're really looking for, would you go out your way to make friends with your neighbor or would you just assume that since you two don't look alike that you can't be friends?

I'm not making any judgment on anyone as an individual. Everyone has some prejudice and I'm 100% that I'm guilty of the above myself, but we need to be a little more self-aware and not just slap that "I'm not a racist" label on ourselves so easily and quickly and be done with it.

That said, you have to live somewhere you're comfortable so good luck to you. Probably the best way to find what you're looking for is to look at the school ethnicity breakdown for the area you're interested then drive around and see if the community meets your standards.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM

8 posts, read 32,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Hmmm I don't think it is a "Cinco" issue but that you might not be from the Houston area. Houston is very multi cultural but different cultures don't exactly cluster together into an Asian neighborhood, Indian neighborhood, white neighborhood . I just don't think you are used to Houston.

I myself find Cinco as a whole a little too vanilla myself... Even as a Caucasian... That being said my immediate neighborhood in Cinco is fairly diverse. Indian, Mexican, Venezualan, Korean, Fillipino, Thai, and even ex-pats from UK and Europe! Why not embrace it and try something new? For the past two winters we hosted an ethnic potluck... I brought the Norweigan Lefsa! LOL ! My kids have made great friends in school and Girl Scouts and have enjoyed learning about other cultures.

The biggest employers of the Cinco neighborhood are in oil and gas. These folks work all around the world and come from all over the world.

I hope that for your children's sake that you come with an open mind and embrace diversity rather than fear it.
I am all for embracing diversity. I grew up in a Detroit 'burb. I dont know how many people know this but that area has the largest Arabic population in the U.S. It also has a very nice balance of "diversity" as you say, Jewish, A.A., Caldean and Asian. My point is that EVERY single person there,(at cinco ranch) other than me, was Arabic or Asian and I would like to hope that I can find an area that has a nice balance of "diversity". I would love to expose myself and my family to such diversity AND I would also like to have a few commonalities with my neighbors......Sports, music, religion, politics.

I guess I am really trying to determine if its just me and if its a short term phenomenon?

Like I said, save the soap box. I find nothing wrong with searching for an area that fits us best. There are many big cities that have Italian sections, Asian sections, Polish sections, Arabic sections etc. So obviously its not just me. I feel no guilt in thought process.

And thanks to everyone for your assistance, please dont stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston