Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 32,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
So you and your kids can't make friend with brown people? Also last I heard Asian people like BBQ too. I would also point out that anytime you start a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but.." then your about to say something racist so just say what you want and no need to justify it to everyone.

I guess reading comprehension wasnt real important where you grew up?

Read my post again. I didnt start a sentence with "I'm not a racist" and furthermore I made no attempt to justify anything. So like I said. SAVE IT for someone who gives a squat what you think because it isnt me. I find ZERO wrong with me not wanting my family to be the ONLY caucasian family in our new neighborhood in a new city, in a new state.
Thanks any how.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 AM

54 posts, read 150,028 times
I think you're just going to have to find a place you like TODAY and not worry about what it might look like tomorrow. The neighborhood I grew up in is almost completely Hispanic now when it was more of a mix of white/black/asian so you never know what the future will bring.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM

54 posts, read 150,028 times
I think when most people say they're "not" something it's human nature to take it to mean "I don't WANT to be that and I feel insecure about it." You probably would have been better off posting without it.

If you're going to post something about race, you're just going to have to accept that it might be controversial.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:55 AM

967 posts, read 2,612,902 times
Sirus, I think you need to relax. I thought I was quite respectful in my post... But you immediatly jumped on me about a "soapbox". And jumped on another poster minutes later.

Here's the thing, no matter where you choose to live, you won't be able to control who moves in. What I can tell you as a resident of Cinco is that it is a popular community to many in the oil and gas industry. These folks hail from all over the world. They are also somewhat "transient" and move around a lot in their careers. They are attracted to the area for the strong resale values among other things.

Look for yourself at the school stats. Plenty of white people here. You can relax a bit.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,130,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirus22 View Post
I am relocating soon and EVERYONE I talk to suggests Katy. I have visited Cinco Ranch several times over the last few months and every time I am at the model home area, usually on Saturday, I believe I am the only caucasian there (well, other than the sales people).
Well, that may be it right there: your observations are coming from visiting model homes. We've visited many model homes in the Houston area lately and there are times when everyone in a particular house just happens to be all white (except for me) or all Asian or all black or mixed.

I wouldn't make too much of those very isolated experiences. Now, if you went into the Blah-Blah-Blah neighborhood in Cinco Ranch and found that every house seemed to be occupied by one ethnic group then maybe I'd say that might not be the particular neighborhood you should buy/build a house in.

FWIW, I don't see anything wrong with anything you've said and didn't feel any racist overtones whatsoever despite you writing that you're not racist. I'm far from racist but I prefer not to live in a neighborhood where everyone is the same exact ethnicity. Diversity is good in my book. No matter what - whether you make that kind of disclaimer or not, the nature of the question would inevitably have had someone making an observation of a racist vs non-racist nature. So I wouldn't take it personally. Message boards...they are what they are.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Well, that may be it right there: your observations are coming from visiting model homes. We've visited many model homes in the Houston area lately and there are times when everyone in a particular house just happens to be all white (except for me) or all Asian or all black or mixed.

I wouldn't make too much of those very isolated experiences. Now, if you went into the Blah-Blah-Blah neighborhood in Cinco Ranch and found that every house seemed to be occupied by one ethnic group then maybe I'd say that might not be the particular neighborhood you should buy/build a house in.

FWIW, I don't see anything wrong with anything you've said and didn't feel any racist overtones whatsoever despite you writing that you're not racist. I'm far from racist but I prefer not to live in a neighborhood where everyone is the same exact ethnicity. Diversity is good in my book. No matter what - whether you make that kind of disclaimer or not, the nature of the question would inevitably have had someone making an observation of a racist vs non-racist nature. So I wouldn't take it personally. Message boards...they are what they are.
Thank you for the thoughtful response.
I just wish people would respond to the question instead of preaching. I find its usually those types that have more to hide than those of us who leave it on the table.
I do not want to isolate myself or my family. I do however wish to find the best situation for us and if that means taking such aspects into consideration then so be it.
Again, my goal was to determnine if it was a trend or an aberration caused by a recent surge or growth in a particular industry. I plan on staying for at least four years and would like to find a good "fit".

Old 05-08-2009, 12:37 PM

Beanball and Descovy,

AGREED!!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,749,307 times
Quote:
I guess reading comprehension wasnt real important where you grew up?

Read my post again. I didnt start a sentence with "I'm not a racist" and furthermore I made no attempt to justify anything. So like I said. SAVE IT for someone who gives a squat what you think because it isnt me. I find ZERO wrong with me not wanting my family to be the ONLY caucasian family in our new neighborhood in a new city, in a new state.
Thanks any how.
This forum is not all about you. People can say whatever they want. Of course you find zero wrong with your views, people rarely question their views. As a wise man once said, "The world is divided into people who think they are right".

They obviously didn't teach statistics where you grew up since your sample size of "people who were at the model house when I went" is not very significant, nor even relevant since by definition none of those people even live in the community.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:14 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,872,941 times
Quote:
Thank you for the thoughtful response.
I just wish people would respond to the question instead of preaching. I find its usually those types that have more to hide than those of us who leave it on the table.
I do not want to isolate myself or my family. I do however wish to find the best situation for us and if that means taking such aspects into consideration then so be it.
Again, my goal was to determnine if it was a trend or an aberration caused by a recent surge or growth in a particular industry. I plan on staying for at least four years and would like to find a good "fit".
You don't need to justify it. Ignore them. Almost every day someone on here wants to move into a black, hispanic, asian, filipino etc. neighborhood. Nobody says anything about that either.

As already said, you need to check out the entire city. I would consider Sugarland as well. Not sure if I missed it, but where will you be working? I-10 is probably the best freeway here right now. If you work in Downtown then Katy would be a good choice.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
This forum is not all about you. People can say whatever they want. Of course you find zero wrong with your views, people rarely question their views. As a wise man once said, "The world is divided into people who think they are right".

They obviously didn't teach statistics where you grew up since your sample size of "people who were at the model house when I went" is not very significant, nor even relevant since by definition none of those people even live in the community.

Uhhhhhggg.... BLAH BLAH-BLAH, BLAH BLAH-BLAH, BLAHHH BLAHHHH BLAHHH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston