Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM

17 posts, read 31,897 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I'll be headed to Houston this weekend, to get a feel of what it has to offer and if in fact I want to move there at all. What places, restaurants, locations in general should I make sure I see?

My friend asked me what I wanted to do once I got there and other than the Galleria...I was stumped!

I did however mention that I wanted to goto a VERY good BBQ restaurant.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:45 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,642 times
I would hit Discovery Green during the day and Washington Street at night.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:51 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Empire Cafe or Brasil on Westheimer for breakfast or coffee.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 23,281 times
Depends on what you're into. For instance, I've heard that Washington Street is the type of place for clubbing with guys in Ed Hardy and Affliction shirts. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I think people will either love that or hate that, so you should know what you're getting into. If you like relaxing with beers on a patio and chatting, places like the Ginger Man in Rice Village are good, or if you like cocktails, Anvil is a good place for that. For good meals, Houston has no shortage, so if you want something creative and yet Texan, maybe t'afia, or if you want hearty European, try Feast. Also, I find it odd that Houston has good British pub food (Black Labrador Pub, for example).

For breakfast, I would highly recommend waking up early and heading to the Breakfast Klub and getting either Wings n' Waffles or Katfish and Grits (or both). If you want high-end Mexican breakfast buffet, try Hugo's. Expensive, but well worth the price.

BBQ is very subjective: everyone has their favorite. I haven't been to many BBQ places out here and I tend to stay inside the Loop, so Goode Co.'s BBQ is my favorite that's not out of the way, depending on where you're staying.

Discovery Green does sound like a good suggestion for daytime.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM

809 posts, read 3,569,575 times
Like Purenerd said, it would help to know something about you and your interests.

If you move here, do you have an area in mind where you want to live? If you only have a weekend to decide if you want to move here, I'd focus on exploring a few of the areas you're considering moving to.

You should get some Tex-Mex food while you're here.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Go to the San Jacinto monument and have lunch at the Monument Inn

Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,976 times
Go to the Water Wall

or the Museum District/Rice Village if you can!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:56 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCuzImMe View Post
Hey folks, I'll be headed to Houston this weekend, to get a feel of what it has to offer and if in fact I want to move there at all. What places, restaurants, locations in general should I make sure I see?

My friend asked me what I wanted to do once I got there and other than the Galleria...I was stumped!

I did however mention that I wanted to goto a VERY good BBQ restaurant.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
If your coming here because you might be relocating than you should check out some neighborhoods in your price range to get a feel for the area.

If your coming here to "sight-see" and have a weekend getaway, your making a big mistake.

Houston is good if you want a good job and want to raise a family, however, if you are looking for a place to have fun and spend your youth, then this place isn't all that great, you run out of things to do FAST. Then of course people on this thread will tell you that you need to change your taste and explore other options, then they will try to convince you that "only boring people run out of things to do" mantra. But what they dont realize is that this philosophy could be used in any place. You could give me that line in Odessa TX and it would work.

Bottom line....

Come to Houston with a clear cut purpose, which should be loosely based on a job prospect, or raising a family or both. Other than that you will be wasting your time and money.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
If your coming here because you might be relocating than you should check out some neighborhoods in your price range to get a feel for the area.

If your coming here to "sight-see" and have a weekend getaway, your making a big mistake.

Houston is good if you want a good job and want to raise a family, however, if you are looking for a place to have fun and spend your youth, then this place isn't all that great, you run out of things to do FAST. Then of course people on this thread will tell you that you need to change your taste and explore other options, then they will try to convince you that "only boring people run out of things to do" mantra. But what they dont realize is that this philosophy could be used in any place. You could give me that line in Odessa TX and it would work.

Bottom line....

Come to Houston with a clear cut purpose, which should be loosely based on a job prospect, or raising a family or both. Other than that you will be wasting your time and money.
I actually agree with half of your post, this is not really a place to sight see and Houston is hardly a young person's city, but obviously you're too immature to understand that you will probably not enjoy Taylor Swift and gangsta rap music your whole life. Well, maybe you will, but some people like trying new things. You can't complain that there is nothing to do if you're not willing to open your options, which, if you haven't noticed, you do every other post. I understand that you enjoy low culture, but this city has wide offerings of high culture, too. If you keep looking for things that only fit your personal interests as they stand in the moment, yes, you are going to run out of things to do fast. So please do us all a favor and get over your one-note self. Yes, please compare Odessa to Houston...

Oh, not to mention the fact that your post was not even in the realm of what the OP asked for.

Hot Town, Cool City | Locations

I'm guessing you've been to every place on that list.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 05-11-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
Rice Village shopping, Montrose, Discovery Green and Houston pavillions!
BBQ Goode company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston