Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:33 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I don't understand why some people say that U of H is academically worse. I know many people who cam back from UT and they said there's no difference. You don't learn less at U of H.
Come on. The academics at UT is higher than the academics at UH. They have some of the top academic programs in the nation and world at Texas. It is not just a party school, kerrtown and jluke. It is one of the most respected institutions in the nation known which was once known as a public ivy. They also have one of the largest endowments in the nation. A&M is right behind Texas. UH cannot as of right now compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:43 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I say otherwise.
Explain it. Show how Texas is overrated. Show how any other school outside of Rice is better. Texas is number 1 in 30 out of 37 academic programs in Texas alone. The Media has nothing to do with that. Texas is BY FAR the best research university in the state. Not Baylor, not TCU, not SMU, not even Rice. And if the media is indeed involved, that isn't Texas fault. It's their own fault.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:48 AM

28 posts, read 67,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Come on. The academics at UT is higher than the academics at UH. They have some of the top academic programs in the nation and world at Texas. It is not just a party school, kerrtown and jluke. It is one of the most respected institutions in the nation known which was once known as a public ivy. They also have one of the largest endowments in the nation. A&M is right behind Texas. UH cannot as of right now compare.
The undergraduate academics is heavily dependent on the student base - the level of academic achievement of your students has an effect on the curriculum and overall reputation, and vice versa. Kind of a self-perpetuating, positive feedback kind of thing. UT draws from a much larger student base than UH (all of Texas, some of the rest of the US), and the sheer number of top 10%ers that go there is a good marker of the academic excellence of their program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Explain it. Show how Texas is overrated. Show how any other school outside of Rice is better. Texas is number 1 in 30 out of 37 academic programs in Texas alone. The Media has nothing to do with that. Texas is BY FAR the best research university in the state. Not Baylor, not TCU, not SMU, not even Rice. And if the media is indeed involved, that isn't Texas fault. It's their own fault.
I agree, Texas is by far the most prolific research institution in the state, followed closely by Texas A&M. This is mostly to do with the size of both universities. This is where UH has a lot of potential - the campus has the ability to eventually attract more top notch researchers and students if they play their cards right.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:51 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Why absorb TSU??
Because TSU has been plagued with financial and administrative problems including, but not limited to, a year's probation by SACS. They have a deplorable graduation rate, and the law school could lose its accreditation. As of 2009, they have a 37% passage rate for the state bar exam. That's awful. Compare that to UH's 87.7%.

I can't remember who posted the thing about UH's college of Biology, I'm sure it's great, I'm not excluding anyone, I am just posting about colleges I am personally familiar with either through friends or family or my own experiences.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Because TSU has been plagued with financial and administrative problems including, but not limited to, a year's probation by SACS. They have a deplorable graduation rate, and the law school could lose its accreditation. As of 2009, they have a 37% passage rate for the state bar exam. That's awful. Compare that to UH's 87.7%.

I can't remember who posted the thing about UH's college of Biology, I'm sure it's great, I'm not excluding anyone, I am just posting about colleges I am personally familiar with either through friends or family or my own experiences.
Yes and the only reason for that is because TSU was open admissions. Losing TSU would not only hurt 3rd Ward, but as well as Houston and UH. TSU brings in lots of people from around the world, and our events attracts lots of UH students. The school is now remodeling and changing a lot. Our new president is leading the school in the right direction, especially bringing us a new bookstore.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Yes and the only reason for that is because TSU was open admissions. Losing TSU would not only hurt 3rd Ward, but as well as Houston and UH. TSU brings in lots of people from around the world, and our events attracts lots of UH students. The school is now remodeling and changing a lot. Our new president is leading the school in the right direction, especially bringing us a new bookstore.
How would you lose anything? Lose 3rd Ward? Wha? Seems like you'd be gaining, to me. Your school would be part of a better school. How is that losing?

Dr. Rudley has a long way to go before anyone can judge what he does for the school. Open enrollment was part of the problem, yes, but it wasn't the only problem, not by a long shot.

*shrugs* If you go by the mantra that things get worse before they get better, then he's right on target, considering the numbers I cited in my previous post.

Anyway, back to UH being a Tier 1 school....

Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
How would you lose anything? Lose 3rd Ward? Wha? Seems like you'd be gaining, to me.
I know you think it's a pit, but to somebody else it's home.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:44 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Well, maybe that is part of U of H becoming a tier 1 school. It is just taking too long. The master plan they have says something about 20-30 years. I don't think they have this much time. I do realize that it can't be done in 1 year, but not this long. Stricter admission requirements would be a big step towards their goal and it could be achieved an 1-2 years imo.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,130 times
Quote:
I'll tell you right now, UT is overrated. That school is more focused on athletics and partying instead of academics.

UH is a commuter school, which means less parties and less school spirit. The school is definitely more geared toward academics. Those so called top schools only make the list due to the publicity and media.
Geared more towards academics? I bet to differ!

UT Rankings:
McCombs School of Business (Undergraduate)- #6

Graduate Programs:
Accounting- #1
Education- #7
Engineering- #10
Law- #15
MBA- #18
Pharmacy- #2
Public Affairs- #14

(Source: US News)

Old 06-06-2009, 03:56 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
The issue is money! It takes big time investment from the state to produce a tier I school. UT and AM benefit from the Permanent Endowment Fund that was set up when those schools were pretty much the only game in the whole state.

California has 9 tier I schools, New York state has 7, Texas definitely needs more than UT, AM and Rice (yes, Rice is tier I but it's small size reduces its impact. The question is will the state produce the funding? It is a long-term investment, once you boost the school into tier I status, the economic benefits are immense. But it takes consistent funding over decades to get there.

Texas Tech, UT-Dallas, and UH should all become tier I schools. But we don't have the world's best record when it comes to investing in education . . . I'm not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston