Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM

160 posts, read 716,020 times

Advertisements

So your ability to obtain a 2,500 loan is the difference maker between U of H and Rice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:24 PM

354 posts, read 2,431,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
The equation is as follows... The cost of tuition at rice is approximately 33,000.00 per annum. If your income is 80,000+ per annum, rice will give you 2,500.00 in loans per year to help you pay your tuition.

-33,000 = Tuition
+31,500 = your contribution
+2,500 = the loan from rice
_______
0.00 = TUITION PAID
CORRECTION

-$33,000 = Tuition
+$32,000 = Grants, scholarships, work study (amounts based on gpa, sat/act scores which in some cases can cover the entire $32k)
+2,500 = sub/unsubsidized loan

Old 07-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
So your ability to obtain a 2,500 loan is the difference maker between U of H and Rice?
If I recall correctly, I stated that the $2500 I would be responsible for can either be a loan or paid out of pocket. I am looking for the best experience...the school I feel I would benefit from the most....best professors....job placement, etc.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
CORRECTION

-$33,000 = Tuition
+$32,000 = Grants, scholarships, work study (amounts based on gpa, sat/act scores which in some cases can cover the entire $32k)
+2,500 = sub/unsubsidized loan

It is a subsidized loan, and your correction is wrong. If your contribution was equivalent to the tuition due, you would be ineligible for the SUBSIDIZED loan. You think they give Juco transfers 30k in scholarship money?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
It is a subsidized loan, and your correction is wrong. If your contribution was equivalent to the tuition due, you would be ineligible for the SUBSIDIZED loan. You think they give Juco transfers 30k in scholarship money?
Reread what I wrote...I wrote $32k in scholarships, grants and work study....there's a difference. Furthermore I said subsidized OR unsubsidized loan...unsubsidized loans are not need based. Look it up.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
Reread what I wrote...I wrote $32k in scholarships, grants and work study....there's a difference. Furthermore I said subsidized OR unsubsidized loan...unsubsidized loans are not need based. Look it up.
Well ruby, as you've never been to a real university, and you've never dealt with actual financial aid, I can understand your misgivings. The Rice website specifically says "subsidized". If your husband makes 80k, you will probably be ineligible to receive any grants or work study, and like I previously said, no one gives Juco transfers 30k in scholarships.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well ruby, as you've never been to a real university, and you've never dealt with actual financial aid, I can understand your misgivings. The Rice website specifically says "subsidized". If your husband makes 80k, you will probably be ineligible to receive any grants or work study, and like I previously said, no one gives Juco transfers 30k in scholarships.
I appreciate your concern...really I do (NOT)...however as I previously stated, I have spoken with a conselor and I know what I qualify for. Also bear in mind that not only is fin aid based on what you make but also the cost of attendance. Rice determines how much aid you receive based on your Effected Family Contribution, so in actuality even though my hubby exceeds $80k, I still qualify for grants and work study based on the cost of attendance and my family size. I transferred to HCC after a semester in a private school in MS after we moved so I have attended a university sweetie...don't count me out...ATTENTION, ATTENTION: "I AM A JUNIOR COLLEGE GRADUATE THAT WAS OFFERED $32K IN SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS AND WORK STUDY! AND SEA2LV2HOU SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE!" PLEASE

Old 07-15-2009, 03:30 PM

765 posts, read 2,442,721 times
Ruby - you went from considering going to Rice to being offered scholorships/grants/work study. Sorry, you completely lost your credibility. I simply do not believe you.

Also, I would say that 99.9% of the applicants to Rice come from families with incomes over $80,000.

I don't understand why you think that you are any different from all the other applicants? Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
Ruby - you went from considering going to Rice to being offered scholorships/grants/work study. Sorry, you completely lost your credibility. I simply do not believe you.

Also, I would say that 99.9% of the applicants to Rice come from families with incomes over $80,000.

I don't understand why you think that you are any different from all the other applicants? Sorry to burst your bubble.
Thanks easybay! Say what you want....but take a look at when I started this post and consider the fact that you can have your transcripts/fin aid reviewed at anytime when you are considering attending a school. It's okay, you don't have to believe me...besides I never asked for that...if I recall I asked for the opinions of the alumni. Never said I was any different from anyone else...you did . Sooooo does anyone have anything of value they would like to add? Serious replies...not personal attacks!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:00 PM

84 posts, read 205,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post

Geeze, take it easy. These are all hypotheticals.
While $30k in grants and scholarships is highly unlikely, assuming that Ruby is accepted to Rice, Federal Stafford loans are readily available, and grants can come from numerous disparate sources.
I tend to agree that the time and money are not worth it compared to UH or other smaller local universities, but for some, these factors may not be as important as overall quality of education and prestige of the university. Ruby just wanted some opinions on Rice compared to other local schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston