Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:40 PM

26 posts, read 122,756 times

Advertisements

Houston is close to the coast, means it's close to hurricaine too. Remember that's how Houston began to grow? when Galveston was wiped out by a hurricaine almost a century ago then people decided to move inland?

Dallas gets tornado I heard... but I have no idea how often.

I much prefer dry heat vs. humid heat.
sweat evaporates and is it, i dont mind that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 12:27 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badab00m View Post
Houston is close to the coast, means it's close to hurricaine too. Remember that's how Houston began to grow? when Galveston was wiped out by a hurricaine almost a century ago then people decided to move inland?
Same thing happened with Katrina in Houston. Less so with Baton Rouge. But I guess Baton Rouge joined Houston in the hurricane boom club. But L.A. or an even better example, S.F., doesn't suddenly become unattractive because of the earthquakes. New York doesn't become unattractive because of hurricanes, terrorist attacks, etc. Chicago doesn't become unattractive because of the brutal winters. So why should Houston become unattractive because of hurricanes?

Dallas is missing a major asset though: a real water PORT!!! HAHA!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Well, let's face it, hot is hot. But it's only for 3 months out of the year that it's real real hot. The rest of the country can have their laughs for 3 months while Dallas and Houston can laugh for the remaining 9 months, especially when it's snowing with a blizzard in the middle of April in Chitown!
Actually, the rest of the country can't laugh either in those three months. DC and Chicago can get unbearable in the summer at times especially Washington DC. I experienced my first summer here ever last year and it was absolutely horrible. Give me dry heat (the heat Dallas has most of the time) than what DC has.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:27 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
Well, let's face it, hot is hot. But it's only for 3 months out of the year that it's real real hot. The rest of the country can have their laughs for 3 months while Dallas and Houston can laugh for the remaining 9 months, especially when it's snowing with a blizzard in the middle of April in Chitown!
I was actually jealous of the weather in Chicago. It was too hot down here while that was going on.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badab00m View Post

Dallas gets tornado I heard... but I have no idea how often.

I much prefer dry heat vs. humid heat.
sweat evaporates and is it, i dont mind that.
Well, actually that hurricane was more than a century ago in 1900, but Galveston Island still remains completely populated and actually is a pretty cool place to live.

In fact, Galveston Island is to Houston as Long Island is to New York. Just smaller but still a lot to do. And of course, GI doesn't contain any of the Houston city limits as LI does for NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston