Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 176,663 times

Advertisements

Ok the grey box says a title that reads "Electric". There is a white cylinder box thing that I know is about having something to do with the telephone. There is a grey cylinder box thing that seems to be something to deal with TV cable but I am not sure. These 3 are close together.

It is not far away from my house at all. It's not in the end of my back yard. It seems to be 10-15 feet away from my back door.

They had told us and we already knew we cannot do any landscaping like trees because wires run down in the backyard.

Can we put up a garden though? Nothing big, just flowers, vegetables, and fruit. We will put it at the opposite end the box is.Almost as far away as possible I guess.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 36,634 times
Default HUMMING Transformer

SCE installed a pad mounted residential transformer that causes a "B" note HUM throughout my yard and house. SCE says it's acceptable. My family says it is too loud. It is 13 ft. from the house and resonates through the structure. The original box could not be heard after 5 or 10 ft., emitted NO HUM (only higher freq. buzz) and NO complaints were ever filed. The original was a GE and was in my backyard for 33 years; no harm, no foul. The Howard Industries transformer installed 4 months ago was SO BAD that even SCE agreed and IMMEDIATELY replaced it. The second replacement had some bogus ceramic deadeners secured to the inside of the cover and reduced the HUM only slightly. This whole episode is a nightmare. My house HUMS. One street over the same situation exists but the homeowner is afraid to complain. How could SCE buy this substandard box from Howard and NOT buy/install the 33-year proven GE transformer? Did SCE cut the budget. How can a public utility ignore customer/residents and install substandard equip.? How the HELL does technology GET WORSE over 33 years and not better. Did SCE make a conscious decision to save money buy installing noisier/cheaper transformers? How much does one cost, anyway?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 176,663 times
My transformer does not make any noise. It runs like 4000 Watts unlike the big transformers that run 120k wats. We hear no noise overnight except the fridge.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:19 AM

1 posts, read 13,721 times
Default Transformer near the house

Hey Melissa, I think it is your last question that I like most and is probably the key factor that influences all purchasing decisions related to transformers. Transformers are extremely expensive, but considering their life is anywhere from 20 to 30 years that does not seem so bad. There are all types of transformers, both energy efficient and not so efficient. There is a huge push recently towards energy efficient transformers, but they cost a lot and so most companies prefer to buy less energy efficient transformers that cost less. Find out more about the transformer installed near you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmelissa View Post
SCE installed a pad mounted residential transformer that causes a "B" note HUM throughout my yard and house. SCE says it's acceptable. Did SCE make a conscious decision to save money buy installing noisier/cheaper transformers? How much does one cost, anyway?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:51 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom22 View Post
Ok the grey box says a title that reads "Electric". There is a white cylinder box thing that I know is about having something to do with the telephone. There is a grey cylinder box thing that seems to be something to deal with TV cable but I am not sure. These 3 are close together.

It is not far away from my house at all. It's not in the end of my back yard. It seems to be 10-15 feet away from my back door.

They had told us and we already knew we cannot do any landscaping like trees because wires run down in the backyard.

Can we put up a garden though? Nothing big, just flowers, vegetables, and fruit. We will put it at the opposite end the box is.Almost as far away as possible I guess.
Yes, you can put in a garden, even around the boxes, just leave room for access. I would plant something that would shield them from view.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 12,789 times
What am I looking for with a compass? What will the needle do if the EMF is high? The public utilities company in my town has moved a transformer pole directly in my backyard without my permission and without my knowledge. What recourse do I have?

BLH

Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,324,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolloway View Post
What am I looking for with a compass? What will the needle do if the EMF is high? The public utilities company in my town has moved a transformer pole directly in my backyard without my permission and without my knowledge. What recourse do I have?

BLH

If your backyard is an easement, you have no recourse

Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Suburban Houston area = your backyard most likely has an easement.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,779 times
Default Electrical Transformers behind backyard...Help please

Hello All,
I really need your expertise on the Electrical Transformers. There is wooden pole with three transformers (The look like those big garbage cans)hanging on it behind my backyard. The estimate distance is about 60ft from my bed room. They are grey color. The biggest one has the number "100" on it. The other two have the number "75". I can't locate anymore info on the body of the transformers. My wife is really concern about the EMF(radiations) produce from them. If my wife is pregnant, should we concern about the EMF? Your responses are greatly appreciated!!!
Thank You,
Bing

Old 08-22-2013, 03:43 PM

22 posts, read 59,446 times
They do blow out from time to time, requiring utility workers to get into your backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston