Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you/your family ever hosted a foreign exchange student?
Yes 13 38.24%
No 21 61.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM

687 posts, read 2,129,303 times

Advertisements

From Chron.com
Foreign-exchange hosts hard to find--20 students coming to study in the Houston area need homes

Has anyone hosted a foreign exchange student before? If yes, would you do it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Default Not I, but my neighbors did...

They would not do it again. They had problems with this teenager they sponsored. He smoked in the house, even though there were rules, he did not care; 'tried to bring girls home, and complained constantly about the heat. He did not help around the house, came home very late, did not come home one time, scared my neighbors to death as they were responsible for him. He was never gracious, and did not say thanks when he left. He liked to eat out all the time. Overall, just a disaster as you'd see on a comedy sitcom. BTW, his parents never called to check on him. ??

Of course, this is just one experience and I doubt many are like this, but all it takes is one to spoil it. My neighbors were very good to him, and they had a toddler in the house as well. Just be careful if you consider it.

I don't want to divulge the country as people would think I was picking on a country, but he was from Europe.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 AM

509 posts, read 1,168,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
They would not do it again. They had problems with this teenager they sponsored. He smoked in the house, even though there were rules, he did not care; 'tried to bring girls home, and complained constantly about the heat. He did not help around the house, came home very late, did not come home one time, scared my neighbors to death as they were responsible for him. He was never gracious, and did not say thanks when he left. He liked to eat out all the time. Overall, just a disaster as you'd see on a comedy sitcom. BTW, his parents never called to check on him. ??

Of course, this is just one experience and I doubt many are like this, but all it takes is one to spoil it. My neighbors were very good to him, and they had a toddler in the house as well. Just be careful if you consider it.

I don't want to divulge the country as people would think I was picking on a country, but he was from Europe.
Where was this kid from?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 AM

247 posts, read 737,885 times
My mother hosted a young man from France and it was a wonderful experience. He was smart, funny, well mannered and a perfect house guest.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
We did. It was not in Houston but no matter. We took on several different students at different times. I have to say Japanese kids are best. They are always polite, sometimes so polite that they seem rude compared our customs. We had 6 total Japanese kids and they were all good. They were the only ones who were happy to go out to eat with us or just go for rides to the park or museums or whatever. They are always wanting to learn and explore. Oh and he made us take our shoes off at our door.

We had one Korean kid. He was weird. Put on a pot of rice and leave it on the stove all day with a lid on it. He would come up and eat from it throughout the day, that is all he would eat. He would not eat western food. He rarely went out because he hated our food and our customs. He never finished school and went home early.

Then we had a Mexican kid. This was a kid from a very wealthy Mexican family who owned a printing factory in south Mexico. He was a good kid. Rarely home and always had a new girlfriend every week. He really did not even look Mexican but having money keeps anyone looking young. His family always sent gifts to us up from Mexico. Valuble gifts, not some junk trinkets.

Then comes the nightmare. Pakistan. Those boys are taught to hate women from an early age. He could not stand my then wife coming in his room to make his bed, vacume the rugs or clean the bathroom. He was a messy pig so his room needed cleaning every other day. He was fairly polite with males but treated women badly with snide remarks and many anti woman comments. He never let us forget that where he comes from, women are second class trash. They are to be used for sex, cooking and cleaning only and will not go to heaven. We ended up having the agency take him outta there before I killed him. He was never placed again that I heard.

The agency paid us $600 CDN every month. We supplied room and board and food 3 meals a day. This was 10 years ago. The students had their own spending money and went out to eat on their own often as we were in the middle of a city with cafes everywhere around the ESL school. We had to clean their rooms and provide linins. That was about it. The agency did come to our house to inspect and approve that it was safe with a private bathroom, bed, desk and whatever was needed for the student to be comfortable.

It was a good experience.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM

809 posts, read 3,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We did. It was not in Houston but no matter. We took on several different students at different times. I have to say Japanese kids are best. They are always polite, sometimes so polite that they seem rude compared our customs. We had 6 total Japanese kids and they were all good. They were the only ones who were happy to go out to eat with us or just go for rides to the park or museums or whatever. They are always wanting to learn and explore. Oh and he made us take our shoes off at our door.

We had one Korean kid. He was weird. Put on a pot of rice and leave it on the stove all day with a lid on it. He would come up and eat from it throughout the day, that is all he would eat. He would not eat western food. He rarely went out because he hated our food and our customs. He never finished school and went home early.

Then we had a Mexican kid. This was a kid from a very wealthy Mexican family who owned a printing factory in south Mexico. He was a good kid. Rarely home and always had a new girlfriend every week. He really did not even look Mexican but having money keeps anyone looking young. His family always sent gifts to us up from Mexico. Valuble gifts, not some junk trinkets.

Then comes the nightmare. Pakistan. Those boys are taught to hate women from an early age. He could not stand my then wife coming in his room to make his bed, vacume the rugs or clean the bathroom. He was a messy pig so his room needed cleaning every other day. He was fairly polite with males but treated women badly with snide remarks and many anti woman comments. He never let us forget that where he comes from, women are second class trash. They are to be used for sex, cooking and cleaning only and will not go to heaven. We ended up having the agency take him outta there before I killed him. He was never placed again that I heard.

The agency paid us $600 CDN every month. We supplied room and board and food 3 meals a day. This was 10 years ago. The students had their own spending money and went out to eat on their own often as we were in the middle of a city with cafes everywhere around the ESL school. We had to clean their rooms and provide linins. That was about it. The agency did come to our house to inspect and approve that it was safe with a private bathroom, bed, desk and whatever was needed for the student to be comfortable.

It was a good experience.
Interesting. Were you living inside the loop at that time (you said you were in the city near cafes)?
What does CDN mean?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 AM

89 posts, read 143,209 times
They are here to experience a different culture... not to work your back yard

Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,278,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Interesting. Were you living inside the loop at that time (you said you were in the city near cafes)?
What does CDN mean?
Canadian Dollar.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,495 times
This is a fascinating thread. I think because my only experience with foreign exchange students was 20 years ago in high school - they were always wealthy, attractive, and popular, always from Europe like Sweden, Belgium, Denmark, always got into the most popular cliques. And now this thread, most interesting about the Pakistan and Korean kids.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM

567 posts, read 1,623,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I thought that too. .

I would not sponsor a foreign exchange student, unless it was someone who either I know or my family back in the old country knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston