Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 27,242 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier about moving to Houston, probably the Katy area and wanted to know how tolerant the area was towards a mixed race married couple with 3 children. I haven't received any replies yet, but the more I read other comments, I've seen some not so great comments regarding Katy. My husband will be working in the Westchase District, so any advice would be great. We are looking for an area in somewhat close proximity to his job, good schools, low crime, 200K and up range for homes, welcoming neighborhood, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 AM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
My response is simply to dispel the myth that Texas is any different from other places/states when it comes to interracial/mixed race couples and their families. Most people don't care either way who your significant other happens to be. The same applies to sexual orientation. If you're happy and comfortable with who you are and with, then you're no more likely to be accosted over it. Like everywhere else on this planet, there are bigots, simpletons and knuckeleheads.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,630 times
Talking regarding Katy, Tx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee
I posted earlier about moving to Houston, probably the Katy area and wanted to know how tolerant the area was towards a mixed race married couple with 3 children. I haven't received any replies yet, but the more I read other comments, I've seen some not so great comments regarding Katy. My husband will be working in the Westchase District, so any advice would be great. We are looking for an area in somewhat close proximity to his job, good schools, low crime, 200K and up range for homes, welcoming neighborhood, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
I just came across your e-mail regarding Katy, Tx. - I live in Katy, and have lived here off and on for 23 years, depending on my husband's job. I don't think Katy is different than any other diverse community. There are accepting and non-accepting people everywhere, and Katy is no exception. I have never personally heard of any type of hate crime here. We are not a hick town as has been portrayed at times. Katy is a thriving community - one of the fastest growing in the U.S. I think you would be very pleased with the area, and if by chance you ever ran into someone who is prejudice against you (ignorant people can unfortunately be found in any community) then that is their problem - not yours. You can write me for any additional information that you might want. Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETTER

I just came across your e-mail regarding Katy, Tx. - I live in Katy, and have lived here off and on for 23 years, depending on my husband's job. I don't think Katy is different than any other diverse community. There are accepting and non-accepting people everywhere, and Katy is no exception. I have never personally heard of any type of hate crime here. We are not a hick town as has been portrayed at times. Katy is a thriving community - one of the fastest growing in the U.S. I think you would be very pleased with the area, and if by chance you ever ran into someone who is prejudice against you (ignorant people can unfortunately be found in any community) then that is their problem - not yours. You can write me for any additional information that you might want. Good Luck!

Thanks so much for your response. I know there are all types everywhere but I just wanted to make sure I avoided any area that may have a reputation that you won't find on a website and you wouldn't know unless you asked people from the area. How are the schools in Katy? Do you know what the commute would be to the Westchase District? Thanks again for your comments..

Old 07-14-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister
My response is simply to dispel the myth that Texas is any different from other places/states when it comes to interracial/mixed race couples and their families. Most people don't care either way who your significant other happens to be. The same applies to sexual orientation. If you're happy and comfortable with who you are and with, then you're no more likely to be accosted over it. Like everywhere else on this planet, there are bigots, simpletons and knuckeleheads.

Thanks. I know all about myths being I'm from the South as well, but there are areas that I would warn others from moving to where I am from, so I just wanted to see if that was true for Katy or other areas. I didn't mean to offend anyone and apologize if I did. So, it seems to be very very hot and humid in Houston. Well, there goes my hair

Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
Given the dreadful traffic in Houston these days, it would likely take your husband at least 30 - 35 minutes to get to the Westchase District. There's no perfect way to get there but probably you would get on I-10 and go east until you get to Hwy 6 or if by some freakish chance the traffic is actually moving on the freeway you could go on to Kirkwood and go south up to either Westheimer or on to Richmond, depending on where his office is. The Kirkwood way would be ideal but if the traffic is at a dead stop, exit at 6 and go south to Westheimer and turn east. Depending on where you actually live in Katy, going in on the Westpark Tollway would be much easier if you live quite a bit south of I-10 with easy access to the tollway feeder.

Old 07-15-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I know all about myths being I'm from the South as well, but there are areas that I would warn others from moving to where I am from, so I just wanted to see if that was true for Katy or other areas. I didn't mean to offend anyone and apologize if I did. So, it seems to be very very hot and humid in Houston. Well, there goes my hair

No offense taken at all, no apology necessary. I just happened to notice that those two particular questions seemed to be high on the list of people looking to relocate to TX.
The Houston surburbs are as many as they're different. Katy is an ever growing city to the west. At the rate it's going, it will meet San Antonio sometime in the year 2020, gobbling up all the other little towns that sit on I-10.
It's got good neighbourhoods and schools with all the necessary amenities south of I-10 and lots of businesses on the Highway from what I've seen. It seems like there's new development every time I drive through. I have friends that live there, they love it except for the commute into work around the Galleria. Traffic and congestion are a way of life in Houston. Most people are resigned to the hour plus long commutes @ $3/gallon of gas. Some opt for public transportation, but mostly as a last resort. Have car will travel is the state mantra. Surprisingly though, people don't really travel long distances from where they live. As an example, my friends haven't been to the South east side of Houston, or Galveston for that matter, in years and it's only an hour's drive! Neither have they gone out to the North East side around the Woodlands. No reason to, according to them and it's a waste of time and gas.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:15 PM

I forgot to mention that Fresno, to the south of Houston, would be a pretty good location to consider.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:57 PM

106 posts, read 583,205 times
Quote:
But there are a lot of supposed myths that are actually true... I lived in Augusta, GA (obviously in the deep south) for a few years and it's one of the most racist cities I'd ever experienced. If you've ever talked to anyone who is at least 70 yo, white or black, from the South, you'd know what I mean.

I was in a Dairy Queen one day talking to this strip mall owner. The owner of the restaurant was black and there were probably 10 black people in there enjoying themselves on a hot summer day. I swear the 70 yo crusty white guy I was talking too wouldn't stop saying the "N" word--out loud. I slumped down in my seat and tried to look like I wasn't there. Funny that no one really made any type of reaction. Guess it's accepted--at least for old, crusty white guys.

Texas doesn't experience too much racism because of the huge flux of northerners moving in. There's just too much diversity and people who really don't give a rat's behind about racism or illegal discrimination.

Old 11-19-2006, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,609 times
We are new to Katy by way of hurricane Katrina. As has been said, bigotry & racism pops up anywhere, but I have seen several mixed couples here. I didn't notice they were treated any differently, nor did I see any notable reaction at all. Not even that disapproving look some people give. Katy is a great area with good schools. We love it here. I hope you find something you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston