Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 AM

241 posts, read 585,740 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
This is such a great forum, and I've searched and read virtually all The Woodlands and Katy threads, but I'd still like opinions on my situation.

I'm not from Texas but went to Rice U. in the 90s, then lived in Houston two years after that in the West University area. Now I'm married and will be moving to Houston with my husband. We're very excited to be coming back.

We've decided that a suburb will fit us best. We were originally pretty set on The Woodlands, but now I'm having second thoughts about including Katy (the south area). The two factors making me think twice about Katy are that it appears to be about 20 miles closer to Rice and downtown, and that your money seems to go a bit farther. Here's what we're looking for:

--Home low $400Ks or under with 4 bedrooms, 3 baths
--9000+sf lot with some trees
--Pool would be a plus, as would 3 car garage
--Friendly neighborhood with life in it and neighborhood activities (not people always in their houses but outside doing things)
--Safe area with low crime rate
--Easy access to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.
--Excellent schools (no kids yet but soon)

I work from home but he is a photographer and will be traveling all over Houston to shoot, which makes me think twice about the commute from The Woodlands.

Any advice? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
the only difference in your trip to town will be that Katy has the new freeway going out there

for 400K you should just look in the Stratford area and you will be choosing a home that is in an area that you can be 99% sure will not change that much unless something drastic happens

Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
the only difference in your trip to town will be that Katy has the new freeway going out there

for 400K you should just look in the Stratford area and you will be choosing a home that is in an area that you can be 99% sure will not change that much unless something drastic happens
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll look into Stratford.

Using yahoo maps the houses I've found in Katy seem to be about 20 miles closer to the 77005 area code than those in The Woodlands. Am I mistaken that south Katy is closer?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
well may have exaggerated a bit I forget that Katy has grown in towards Houston since I still think of Katy as where the grain elevators are (or possibly were)

but with that price range I think Stratford Schools area would be doable and you would get much better long term boost in value especially with prices down a bit

Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
I don't necessarily agree with the comments about Stratford (which is really a HS, not an area persay, but I get what they mean). If you like the The Woodlands or south Katy, the western Memorial area might not be your thing. It certainly wasn't mine, even though I could've afforded it and have family in that area. I just prefer the more suburban, less urban feel of the master planned community. Far less traffic locally.

Yes, south Katy is much closer time-wise to downtown than The Woodlands. Especially as a photographer (which I am part-time as well) where you might not be fighting rush hour traffic. From south Katy we have the choice of using either the Westpark Tollway OR the Katy freeway into town, depending on where you're going, time of day, traffic reports etc. Both are really great highways now.

One of the biggest differences I have heard between south katy and the Woodlands is the "snob" factor. I know several people that have moved from The Woodlands into South Katy and love that there is far less pressure to "keep up". People prefer Hondas to Lexuses, out of practicality not out of affordability. At the same time there is still access to some of the luxuries that the affluent prefer, especially at La Centerra and the Villagio.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:34 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
You should consider the Memorial area, around 77079 and maybe 77024. The area is very nice and will appreciate(more) in the future. A little closer and is a great area for kids. Schools are excellent.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Homes View Post
You should consider the Memorial area, around 77079 and maybe 77024. The area is very nice and will appreciate(more) in the future. A little closer and is a great area for kids. Schools are excellent.
You might want to read the comments above before responding, that's exactly what the other comment said which I disagreed with.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your help!

I looked at 77024 and couldn't find anything in my price range with my specs. As for 77079, that's possible but the houses looked a little more sectioned off, while we prefer a more open floor plan. However, I'll check it out.

sbhubbell, I appreciate your advice. Less of a "snob factor" is definitely important to me. I'd love to be in a friendly neighborhood and community.

I'm kind of performing a balancing act here because I'd like to be closer to the city and its amenities: Rice, the performing arts, museums, sports stadiums, etc. I'd also like to spare my husband from a really long commute. However, he grew up in a town of 600 people (you read that right) and has never lived in a city bigger than 200K. He's liked what he's seen of Houston and is excited to move, but I know he'll feel more comfortable in a less "citified", more outdoorsy environment--thus I originally thought The Woodlands would be the place. We've only looked at The Woodlands and he does like it. However, the thought of the commute is really concerning me.

Please keep the opinions coming! They are so appreciated.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Have you thought of Kingwood at all? Smaller and closer than The Woodlands. Thick with trees and you can get your 3 car garage and the open floor plan there much easier for your price range. 77079 is great, but the construction your talking about is over a million in that zip, or your spending money to open it all up.

59 isn't that bad of a drive and it seems to have a more and genuine small town feel. But other than that, I'd go for East Katy for your list. Lots of trees and bike trails in that area.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
You might want to read the comments above before responding, that's exactly what the other comment said which I disagreed with.
I saw it. I'm just adding my recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston