Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:16 PM

47 posts, read 156,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Must be nice being able to work 9 to 3 sometimes! LOL
Well, it is nice to have some flexibility but Monday and Tuesday I worked until 7pm. :-)

I'm merely trying to give a fair assessment of my commute. If it's helpful to those considering a move to the Katy area, then thats great. Honestly, I've been making this commute for 12 years so I was curious as to how much time I really do spend in the car.

Today I left really late, 8:57 am as I had a conference call from home. I took the usual route, I-10 toll road however today I decided to take 610 south to 59 as traffic didn't look bad on 610. I pulled on to 59 North at 9:22 am and ran into a road block, the dreded traffic crash. Took a while to get through that but managed to pull into my parking lot at work (Main and Bissonette) at 9:49 am. Total time of 52 minutes with about 20 minutes worth of back up due to crash.

Left work at 5:12 pm and took the westpark toll road. Now, we're building a house in Cross Creek Ranch (Fulshear) so I decided to see how long it would take me to get to the new house. Pulled up in front of house at 5:54 PM, total time 42 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
sorry but a 40 to 50 minute commute every day would kill me

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
To each their own. That's the norm in most large cities, definitely was in Philadelphia where I"m from. We chose Katy for the schools, and family friendly environment. My husband doesn't LOVE the commute, but it's time to decompress a bit and do the mental shift between work and family. I just don't like people who don't live here saying it's over an hour every day...because it's simply not.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
My suggestion to the OP, either move closer in which requires good house hunting skills but it shouldn't be hard(however the schooling might be a problem)

OR

buy a VERY comfortable car. In Houston the BARE minimum for a livable commute is a car with A/C and CruiseControl. But you do want one that glides and still has some power in case you want a thrill.

The biggest problem I had from commuting(I have only been doing it for 1 year now) is trying to stay awake. When the A/C is blowing and ur car is on cruise control... I would start to doze off.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
My husband doesn't LOVE the commute, but it's time to decompress a bit and do the mental shift between work and family.

Funny, my husband has a 2 minute commute (5 mins during rush hour ) and wishes he had more time to decompress before coming home to screaming kids! (Uh, I meant our darling sweet angels )

There really is some value in getting that down time!

Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 AM

As previously mentioned, I'm on year twelve of this same commute. There was at time, before the I-10 expansion, that the commute would take a minimum of an hour on a good day to an hour and a half. A few times I actually spent up to two hours due to major traffic crashes. As another poster mentioned, it should be expected if you live in a large metropolitan city.

Honestly, I don't mind the commute any more. I get a chance to listen to sports radio or talk radio and otherwise get my news for the day. When I tell people I'm moving to Fulshear they look at me like I'm nuts because its "WAY out there". Funny thing is, my commute time isn't changing. Go figure!

I'm going to track my time a few more days just to give an example of various commute times and then I'll leave it alone. Hopefully, some of these reports will be helpful however there are going to be some folks that will continue to poo poo living in the burbs. Such is life!

Today I left my house at exactly 7:42 am taking I-10 to 610 to 59 North to Main Street. Arrived at my office at 8:15 on the nose, 33 minute commute time. Gotta love Friday traffic!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Ok, so this will be my final "commute report" on this thread. With the rain today, it seemed that it would be best to conclude on a low note!! lol

So yesterday, front door to front door, 32 minutes...end of story.

Today, all of the rain that we missed all summer combined for a miserable commute. Left my home at 7:32 AM (should have left much earlier) and pulled into my office at 8:47 for a whopping one hour, fifteen minute commute in heavy, rainy traffic.

Traffic is traffic: good, bad and ugly. We're in Houston and traffic is what it is. Hopefully someone will find this information helpful. For me, I'll refer back to it in a few years when traffic is worse than it was today.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
There goes the typical 25-30 minute commute to the Med center. I think he made it maybe once! What about that Cinco to Energy corridor 30 minute commute?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
About 30 - 45 minutes. You will think it is worth it every night when you go home to Cinco Ranch. Good schools, beautiful area. Large home for the money. Your wife is lucky that she will never have to leave. I have sold several homes there. I currently live in the Copperfield area and am thinking about making the move myself.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
There goes the typical 25-30 minute commute to the Med center. I think he made it maybe once! What about that Cinco to Energy corridor 30 minute commute?

Wes, I hear 30 minutes from Cinco, from all the guys that work at the big companies right in the EC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston