Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:29 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,856,433 times

Advertisements

For those of you wondering about where to live if you come to Houston, this might help...

Sugar Land was named the third best place in the U.S. to live by Money Magazine, KPRC Local 2 reported.

The magazine, due to hit stands on July 24, reviewed a wide range of economic and quality-of-life indicators to choose the best places in the U.S. to live.

"These places reflect the qualities that most Americans want when it comes to a place to live and raise a family," Money executive editor Craig Matters said.

Money started with an initial list of 745 cities with populations above 50,000.

Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 18,381 times
I am sure they considered school district, # of museums/movie theatres, shopping, restaurants and air quality, commuting time, proximity to hospitals, cost of living, etc when they did the report.
But seriously, sugarland is the best place to live in Texas? I would think just about any city in California can beat sugarland... the only drawback is probably the cost of living... and for a good reason, cuz people do love to live in california, therefore the high home cost.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 PM

106 posts, read 583,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
I would think just about any city in California can beat sugarland... the only drawback is probably the cost of living... and for a good reason, cuz people do love to live in california, therefore the high home cost.
Uhhhhh... Cost of living: Hence the reason Sugarland beat all the cities in California????

Old 07-22-2006, 10:51 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,573,757 times
Get Money magazine. Almost fell off my chair at that lie.
If you are into franchises (clothing or food), that's your city!
If Sugarland is #3, then I'm Paris Hilton!

Old 07-22-2006, 10:27 PM

74 posts, read 291,587 times
Default Survey scewed

The Money Magazine article had to have been paid advertising.

Granted Sugarland is nice but to rank it that high is preposterious. When you consider the southwest side crime rate expanding into the Sugarland area it really detracts from Sugarland's initial appeal. Also when you consider competitive surrounding areas like The Woodlands, Clear Lake or Lake Conroe and compare them to Sugarland, you tend to come to a totally different conclusion.

We moved from the southwest side of Houston to Lake Conroe to escape the ever increasing crime rate. All one needs to do is turn on the television and observe daily occurences of serious incidents taking place in Southwest Houston and a increasing number of them happening in Sugarland. The problem as I see it is..........there is a very high criminal element concentrated in southwest Houston and Sugarland is too close.

Merely my opinions and observations based on first hand experiences and.....quite honestly may be as skewed as the MOney magazine article's data.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 24,591 times
The reason the crime rate has gone up is due to the New Orleans refugees! If we could get rid of the people that don't belong here, the crime rate would go down tremendously!

......just my opinion though!

Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,449,953 times
The most depressing thing is that the entire city of Houston has had a declining crime rate over the past 10-15 years, and then all of the sudden its become horrible. More rapes and murder, in unlikely places. We can't get rid of these terrible people fast enough. I'd give anything for them to get bused back to Louisiana.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,684,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
I am sure they considered school district, # of museums/movie theatres, shopping, restaurants and air quality, commuting time, proximity to hospitals, cost of living, etc when they did the report.
But seriously, sugarland is the best place to live in Texas? I would think just about any city in California can beat sugarland... the only drawback is probably the cost of living... and for a good reason, cuz people do love to live in california, therefore the high home cost.
I moved to Texas from California. California has always been a disireable place and i loved living there.....but not enough to spend ALL my money on housing! It is seriously over valued now. The reason home prices have skyrocketed is for different reasons. Low interest rates, "exotic" loans etc. By the way, don't make the Texans mad! I already did that! lol Are you from Cali?

Old 07-29-2006, 11:48 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,573,757 times
Default They are keeping the crime rate out of the papers, intentionally...

My contacts say HPD is keeping the skyrocketing crime rate in Houston--which includes Sugarland, dreamers--out of the media. They are always trying to hire new Police, and nobody wants to volunteer to getting their backsides shot off.
Houston is like living in Hell, folks.......only worse!!!!!
I will never go back, for sure.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 AM

273 posts, read 1,650,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football
The most depressing thing is that the entire city of Houston has had a declining crime rate over the past 10-15 years, and then all of the sudden its become horrible. More rapes and murder, in unlikely places. We can't get rid of these terrible people fast enough. I'd give anything for them to get bused back to Louisiana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdb
The reason the crime rate has gone up is due to the New Orleans refugees! If we could get rid of the people that don't belong here, the crime rate would go down tremendously!
Proof positive of the old adage, "No good deed goes unpunished".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston