Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM

851 posts, read 3,625,620 times

Advertisements

In Canada, many provinces have law that requires cars to turn on headlights automatically when the car' engines are turned on. It is such a great idea as it's so much easier to spot a car with lights on even under daylight.

I do that here too, but I have to manually turn on my lights. It has become my habit.

In Houston, you see people driving with no lights even at darkest hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 03:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Their saving their light bulbs

I had an aquaintance who actually said that one time!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
I am not as concerned with always having headlights on (though both of our cars have DRLs and auto lamps), as people that don't turn on their headlights when they have their wipers on. IMO, that is akin to driving in the fog without headlights, you are just asking for an accident.

A few years ago, they tried to pass a law that mandated headlights when running the wipers, and it actually failed. That rebellious Texas spirit rears its head in some strange places!

Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,266 times
They are idiots is the reason. Just hope that their eventual crash involves no innocent party but some cellphone using moron.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 PM

53 posts, read 138,867 times
Oh I am new to Texas & thought that it was strange when I saw many cars without turning on their headlights despite the heaviest downpours! I thought it was the law all over the country! Texans continue to surprise me

Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I've lived here two years and still can't get used to people driving without lights on a dark rainy day.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eranical View Post
Oh I am new to Texas & thought that it was strange when I saw many cars without turning on their headlights despite the heaviest downpours! I thought it was the law all over the country! Texans continue to surprise me
Where did you move from?

Old 10-21-2009, 06:15 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times
Per Texas Drivers Handbook....
Quote:
It is a requirement that you must use your headlights between one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, or any other time when persons or vehicles cannot be seen clearly for at least 1,000 feet. This would include those times when driving in fog, rain, sleet, snow, or dust. A good rule of thumb is if you have difficulty seeing vehicles that don't have their headlights on, turn on your headlights!
There is also a law about when to use turn signals, but you sure don't see many drivers doing that either. I am just amazed how clueless many drivers are of the law or choose to ignore the law. You would think if they have Texas plates on their vehicle they would have taken a Texas drivers test (and passed).

Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
In Canada, many provinces have law that requires cars to turn on headlights automatically when the car' engines are turned on. It is such a great idea as it's so much easier to spot a car with lights on even under daylight.
Some of us have no problem spotting other vehicles during normal, clear daylight hours. Even when they don't have their headlights on.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 PM

53 posts, read 138,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Where did you move from?
I moved from the DC suburbs in Maryland... on a off track. Enjoying the weather now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston