Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but since when is "more diverse" better?

I'm just sayin!!!!
Well, if you want your children to go to schools where everyone is a clone of themselves and then go on to a UT or a Rice and join a fraternity where everyone is also a clone then find a job where your child will claw their way up to that 75k a year middle-management job while the kid who grew up understanding other cultures and people unlike themselves in general moves up 3 levels past your kids, that's your prerogative I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:28 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but since when is "more diverse" better?

I'm just sayin!!!!
True, but nobody said that. Nvm, somone now did.

Btw, va_residents, do you know about the 10% rule here in Texas? Not sure what the solution would be, but I tend to agree with Houston321. It's gonna be a little hard to get them in the top 10%.
Not everybody has to go to a Top 10 College , though...

Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,171 times
Great Schools lists Clements as having a 24 ACT average - Clements High School Test Scores - Sugar Land, Texas - TX

If you convert that to SAT it comes to 1150 out of 1600. Convert ACT to SAT - How to Convert SAT Scores to ACT Scores

Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM

164 posts, read 364,421 times
Default What's 10% rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
True, but nobody said that. Nvm, somone now did.

Btw, va_residents, do you know about the 10% rule here in Texas? Not sure what the solution would be, but I tend to agree with Houston321. It's gonna be a little hard to get them in the top 10%.
Not everybody has to go to a Top 10 College , though...
In Fairfax, VA parents want their kids to get into Thomas Jefferson High school which is the best public school in the country. It has the highest SAT score in the country. TJHSST Splash Page

TJ draws applicants from across five counties and two cities in Northern Virginia, selecting 500 students from a pool of several thousand applicants. Admission is based primarily on a general achievement test and prior grades. To give a sense of student caliber: Of the 432 seniors in the Class of 2007, 158 were National Merit semifinalists, more than any other school in the nation. And the average student SAT score was a 2155 (on a 2400 scale). Shooting for the Academic Stars - US News and World Report

What is 10% rule in Houston?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_residents View Post
In Fairfax, VA parents want their kids to get into Thomas Jefferson High school which is the best public school in the country. It has the highest SAT score in the country. TJHSST Splash Page

TJ draws applicants from across five counties and two cities in Northern Virginia, selecting 500 students from a pool of several thousand applicants. Admission is based primarily on a general achievement test and prior grades. To give a sense of student caliber: Of the 432 seniors in the Class of 2007, 158 were National Merit semifinalists, more than any other school in the nation. And the average student SAT score was a 2155 (on a 2400 scale). Shooting for the Academic Stars - US News and World Report

Then you don't want to even consider Clements. You want to consider Charter and Magnet schools only.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,021 times
Quote:

The 10% rule requires any public College to admit your son/daughter if she was in the top 10% of his/her High School class.

Yeah, if you're looking for that kind of High School....forget this school then. You have pretty high standards.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Well, if you want your children to go to schools where everyone is a clone of themselves and then go on to a UT or a Rice and join a fraternity where everyone is also a clone then find a job where your child will claw their way up to that 75k a year middle-management job while the kid who grew up understanding other cultures and people unlike themselves in general moves up 3 levels past your kids, that's your prerogative I suppose.

Moderator cut: off topic In general I really respect your posts, but in this case you are making a general assumption..and in my experience you're off base with the aforementioned clones. They actually do pretty well for themselves. Yeah, some get stuck, just like some multi-culturally diverse people do. As to moving three levels ahead just because they are culturally diverse or "exposed" LOL.....that sooooo isn't true.

But I do agree with you that more economically diverse schools can pump out some great kids. I think being exposed to a range of economic culture is far more important than cultural diversity. Kerr has produced some great students...In school like that, it's more the student producing than the parent pushing...and that's what creates a great student.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-21-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Moderator cut: off topic In general I really respect your posts, but in this case you are making a general assumption..and in my experience you're off base with the aforementioned clones. They actually do pretty well for themselves. Yeah, some get stuck, just like some multi-culturally diverse people do. As to moving three levels ahead just because they are culturally diverse or "exposed" LOL.....that sooooo isn't true.

But I do agree with you that more economically diverse schools can pump out some great kids. I think being exposed to a range of economic culture is far more important than cultural diversity. Kerr has produced some great students...In school like that, it's more the student producing than the parent pushing...and that's what creates a great student.

[mod] off topic [.mod]
Moderator cut: off topic Honestly, I think it's who you know rather than what you know. I didn't get my first job with Motorola in P.R. with a degree in Spanish (and very crappy grades to boot) just because I'm so wonderful. My dad had a long standing business relationship with them.

Last edited by Chickrae; 11-21-2009 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,425 times
Quote:

Maybe I'm a little slow here, but is a public school still considered "public" if it is screening all the students that are allowed to go there?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
Maybe I'm a little slow here, but is a public school still considered "public" if it is screening all the students that are allowed to go there?
Yes, then it's simply a magnet school. Still public, public essentially means state-funded. I'm very familiar with the schools and the area the OP is talking about, and I still think Clements would be a good choice for them.

As for the whole "who you know" thing...it is true as careers progress but when you're working on getting into college or getting your first job, being gifted and working hard still counts. Sounds like you just got lucky.

I'm with EA on this one, some of us "clones" do quite well for ourselves...while some of the more "diversity exposed" folks get totally stuck right out of the gate. It has as much to do with the parents as it does with the schools they attend, and personality and talents also play a huge role in success in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston