Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
There are tons, at all different price ranges. Just asked if they are trained and/or licensed in irrigation/drainage. Sump Pumps do need power to them. When water starts building up in the back yard, they are triggered and start sucking the water out through a drain and dumping on the street. Granted if it's a total "frog swallower," no sump pump is going to save you...because the water has no where to go.
i say get a pump ONLY if it is needed. a smaller yard that is really flat or low/level to the street is a good "need" situation. a larger yard or even a smaller yard with decent elevation above the street is easy to get drainage without having to worry about a pump. no need to run/seal electric and buy an expensive pump and all that if you can get drainage by simply regrading the yard or putting in a simple area drain system. my back yard is about 2 1/2 feet higher then the street and is rather small, it rained all morning here and looking out the back window there is no water standing anywhere. all we have is a good defined swell, and some bull rock at the bottom of the swell (semi-french drain). the grass is grown over the bull rock and the water drains very fast. i have never seen more then 2" of water even under hurricane ike conditions and that drained out in a mater of an hour or so after the rain stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i say get a pump ONLY if it is needed. a smaller yard that is really flat or low/level to the street is a good "need" situation. a larger yard or even a smaller yard with decent elevation above the street is easy to get drainage without having to worry about a pump. no need to run/seal electric and buy an expensive pump and all that if you can get drainage by simply regrading the yard or putting in a simple area drain system. my back yard is about 2 1/2 feet higher then the street and is rather small, it rained all morning here and looking out the back window there is no water standing anywhere. all we have is a good defined swell, and some bull rock at the bottom of the swell (semi-french drain). the grass is grown over the bull rock and the water drains very fast. i have never seen more then 2" of water even under hurricane ike conditions and that drained out in a mater of an hour or so after the rain stopped.

Spring Valley/Spring Branch is notorious for low yards. That's why I put in that sugestion. Most of the westside is very flat. The older yards have settled over the past 60+ years. Sump Pumps are often needed in the backyards, EXPECIALLY when someone slaps a McMansion next to you and doesn't remove some of the disturbed earth.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
yes i realize that, BUT the area generally has pretty big lots, where something less expensive can be done, ie regrade or redefine a swell. not saying a pump is not needed just saying there are other less expensive options i personally would look at before a pump.

my last house had 2 pumps in the yard, and they NEVER worked at the same time, one was always broken and/or in need of maintenance with every rain. i spent many a night with a sump pump in hand trying to move water by hand.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
oh ok. I didn't realize they were that expensive. I put one in for (..gosh I can't remember, but it must not have been much or I would..)over a year ago, 250 to run the electric. Never had a problem, and it sure saved my house in April. BTW, I have 1/2 acre, flat as a pancake. No way to grade the water from directly behind the house to the street. If the water was an issue on the side of the house, it might work. But in general, most water stands in this area smack dab behind the house, usually beside the older pools.

For the OP: For sure look at cheaper options, but keep in mind your neigbors won't like the culvert and bullrock option.. Just remember in this area, fixing your problem can sometimes cause a problem for the people next to you..and you don't want to get into that mess. Usually when people start messing with the topography in these older neighborhoods, someone's going to have an "issue."

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 10-29-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston